• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Go away Ricco

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Just read that Ricco does not think fans care about doping. Is this guy for real? Italians have a different approach to cycling. That I knew, but it has never been more apparent than now. He, his team and the bianchi sponsors are dragging the sport down. Am I alone to think this?

A

Anonymous

Most people dont have time for him.. its been discussed regularly in the clinic where we discuss talk about dopes, sorry, doping.

I agree, I just read that new article about him on CN as well. He needs to go. Saying that the fans don't care about doping is just idiocy. And the way he has treated his girlfriend is just disgusting not to mention hypocritical and irresponsible. Ricco is the biggest a-hole I have ever seen in my time as a cycling fan (10+ years). Yes he makes Armstrong look like a Saint.

Apparently I am either not a real cycling fan or not a real tifosi--which I thought was Italian for fan. Either way, he's an a$$ for saying such a thing. I suspect he will be bounced out with a lifetime ban in the next 24 months.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
I agree, I just read that new article about him on CN as well. He needs to go. Saying that the fans don't care about doping is just idiocy. And the way he has treated his girlfriend is just disgusting not to mention hypocritical and irresponsible. Ricco is the biggest a-hole I have ever seen in my time as a cycling fan (10+ years). Yes he makes Armstrong look like a Saint.

+1. No amount of talent can make up for his huge character deficiencies and anything that comes out when he opens his stupid mouth.

Ass or not he may not be that far off the mark. Like the Lance fanboys I think the majority of more casual (for lack of a better word) fans don't think that much about doping. When they do it follows the same simple progression. My guy doesn't dope, ok well he does now, but they all do so who cares?
Ricco fans won't be the most discerning anyway (if they were they wouldn't be Ricco fans) so maybe he is right for his fans as far as that goes.

I say bring him on. As long as riders like Armstrong, Valverde, and Kloden are racing then why not Ricco? At least he paid a price for what he did, unlike these other fartknockers.

People are upset because Ricco tells it like it is. They don't want to know that doping is ingrained in the sport the same way indexed shifting is. They want the riders to cater to their delusions that it's only a few people taking dope.

Ricco at least makes races interesting.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I love Ricco. I thought he was a snake at the start, but he is no different to the rest of the peloton, he just speaks the truth.

Anyone who speaks in the third person, and gives themself a nickname, is right be me.

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
[COLOR="Red"]"I don't think the tifosi are interested if there's doping (in cycling) or not. They're interested in the battle and competition. I don’t think real tifosi are interested in doping. If someone is a fan of Ricco, they still are now, even if he's made a mistake or not."

"I was a fan of [MotoGP pilot] Valentino Rossi even when he didn't pay taxes in Italy. For me a champion is a champion. I think my real fans see me as a 23-year-old who made a mistake but who can't wait to see him race again. That's how I see it. Of course there are other kinds of cycling fans but that's the way I see things."[/color]

I dont know if it is a translation problem or not but Italians always sound like smug w*nkers when they are talking about themselves. Or it could be that Ricco is a smug w*nker who makes even Basso sound sane. Drugs do affect the mind remember!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
oh yeah, how is he different from StrongArm, Wigans etc.

Contador is about the only humble champion. Andy Schleck does not speak himself up either.

People would not care about Ricco talking smack if he never was sanctioned. But Cedric Vasseur was musing all riders on CSC and Columbia went positive to CERA also in 2008 Tour. Only Saunier and Gerolsteiner riders were popped, cos they were the east marks. As if they were the "only" riders who had this product that was supposedly not tested for.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
It's hard to like this smug little man, but I can't say that he's done anything worse than many other riders. He says stupid things, but so many riders do the same things he did and say nothing. Hard to say that he's any worse than them.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Riccardo+Ricco.jpg

He's right, in Italy the tifosi don't really care about doping lest they'd stop watching.

As far as Italian cycling being different...than which? Spanish?!?! Belgian?!? American !?!?

Please it is so iritating to have to listen to the hypocrites. The reality is that sport, all sport, is pharmacalogially dependent. And this has to do with an agonistic culture that has made of sport national and corporate propaganda, as at the Olymipic Games, for which political and nationlalistic agendas, corporate profit /interests and athletic attainment have been seemlessly fused.

In such an environment, the anti-doping rhetoric coming from the political authorities and corporate leadership is merely a pathetic and hypocritical means to address a percieved moralistic public to save face: which in reality either is naive to the dirty reality or else, as Riccò suggests, doesn't actually care one iota.

Wheresas those political and corporate entities have actually driven sport to the lowly ethical state we find it today, for sheer profit and special interests.

BroDeal said:
I say bring him on. As long as riders like Armstrong, Valverde, and Kloden are racing then why not Ricco? At least he paid a price for what he did, unlike these other fartknockers.

People are upset because Ricco tells it like it is. They don't want to know that doping is ingrained in the sport the same way indexed shifting is. They want the riders to cater to their delusions that it's only a few people taking dope.

Ricco at least makes races interesting.

I couldn't agree more !

stop-hypocrisy.jpg

May 6, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
I love Ricco. I thought he was a snake at the start, but he is no different to the rest of the peloton, he just speaks the truth.

Anyone who speaks in the third person, and gives themself a nickname, is right be me.

+1 for me.

Ricco has a lot of confidence, that is for certain. I mean he had barely finished his neo-pro year when he was already slagging off Bettini, Nibali etc.

blackcat said:

1+
As he makes the race interesting, he was one of the few that could keep up with Contador, and i would love to see him at the Giro this year.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
its not the lying or the doping lots do that. its his actions and arrogance as a human being that are offensive i will never be on the side of someone who is so morally reprehensible.

TRENDING THREADS