• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Got a TdF Question? Post it here

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Pro's gloves?

Anyone know anything about the gloves the pro's wear. They look to be almost all lycra. There doesn't appeat to by any velcro closure around the wrist, much lighter and cooler (?), and perhaps no padding in the palm area?

Are these available to the general public?

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
With the Tour about over, I'm going to unstick this thread, probably late tonight. So you may have to look for it as it may fall some down the list.

I am kinda glad that the tour is gonna be over :D

A

Anonymous

zamasailo said:
I am kinda glad that the tour is gonna be over :D

It feels like weve just had a party and loads of people we dont know got invited and talked complete crap all night, and about three of them are still in the kitchen and you are just waiting for them to leave so you can tidy up.

You will notice, I spent most of the party at the bottom of the garden with a bottle of cider, a spliff and bob dylan on the walkman ignoring most of what was going on. I'd pop in from time to time, go to the loo, grab a fresh bottle of cider and a handful of peanuts and go back down the garden again.

A

Anonymous

RedheadDane said:
Camera crew?

But, about those Mavic neutral service cars:

Is that one of the Mavic bikes? If so Why are they so small?

what concerns me more is that the quick release on his front wheel appears to be open.

jobiwan said:
This thread was well worth a sticky, IMO!
It still is. But the Tour is over tomorrow...

TeamSkyFans said:
It feels like weve just had a party and loads of people we dont know got invited and talked complete crap all night, and about three of them are still in the kitchen and you are just waiting for them to leave so you can tidy up.
I think you put that better than I could Dim.

:cool:

TeamSkyFans said:

You will notice, I spent most of the party at the bottom of the garden with a bottle of cider, a spliff and bob dylan on the walkman ignoring most of what was going on. I'd pop in from time to time, go to the loo, grab a fresh bottle of cider and a handful of peanuts and go back down the garden again.

:D
Good party!
but I'm exhausted...

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

When you did come in from the garden for a "bottle" you made me laugh! Thinking about you addition to the Bottle will win Alpe thread.

pbody1 said:
Anyone know anything about the gloves the pro's wear. They look to be almost all lycra. There doesn't appeat to by any velcro closure around the wrist, much lighter and cooler (?), and perhaps no padding in the palm area?

Are these available to the general public?

The gloves are mostly an excuse to cram more branding onto the riders' kits, but they are nice and grippy. As far as padding goes, they're similar to a driving glove. In my experience, there is no padding at all, just a slightly more durable surface for the palm. The lack of velcro is b/c the gloves are made to fit much better, so it's not needed. Also, notice that the pros often wear shoe covers and long sleeves/arm warmers during time trials to decrease wind resistance. Ditching the lumpy velcro straps on gloves is a far more reasonable symptom of this particular neurosis.

Dim, Alpe, and Mew: Ah c'mon. It hasn't been THAT bad, has it? I really don't know. This is the first time that I've opened the thread. Maybe I'll scroll back through it and take a look. I did see some alarming threads asking if Evans or Andy would attack tomorrow. Is that the kind of thing that's been happening in here?

Archibald said:
personal preference perhaps?
it's still the sponsor's gear, so I doubt there'd be an issue if they prefer a varied fit/ventilation/etc...

It looks like a Bell helmet on Gerrans and a Kask on the other Skies. (This next part isn't directed at you, Arch.) Many pros use different gear rebranded with their sponsors' logos. For example, Armstrong famously rode a Litespeed TT bike that was repainted with Trek colors for at least one of his Tour wins. Wheels often get the same treatment, especially in the cobbled classics. Even tires get repainted to match the sponsors! I woudln't be surprised if that was the case here, and Gerrans's helmet certainly looks like a Bell.

Hmm... Maybe it IS a Kask, not a Bell. In which case, I have no idea.