• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Got a TdF Question? Post it here

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have a serious question, as I have been a watcher of the TDF (16 years) and and have no road racing experience.

Why can't a rider, like Contador, use other team's engines to get him to the final attack point on the big hills? Can't he just tuck in, up near the front until he attacks? Or does this get trickier when there are 10-15 km to go and each GC hopeful -- except for one -- has, at best, one strong support rider still breathing? Is it still possible for that loner to take advantage of the actions of the few strong support riders left? Or will they split away from him?

Frihed89 said:
I have a serious question, as I have been a watcher of the TDF (16 years) and and have no road racing experience.

Why can't a rider, like Contador, use other team's engines to get him to the final attack point on the big hills? Can't he just tuck in, up near the front until he attacks? Or does this get trickier when there are 10-15 km to go and each GC hopeful -- except for one -- has, at best, one strong support rider still breathing? Is it still possible for that loner to take advantage of the actions of the few strong support riders left? Or will they split away from him?

most likely this (bold above) - they'll "flick" him off and basically bully him to the edges or back of the peloton.

it is possible to take advantage though, see: "Leipheimer" and "wheelsucker"

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Archibald said:
most likely this (bold above) - they'll "flick" him off and basically bully him to the edges or back of the peloton.

it is possible to take advantage though, see: "Leipheimer" and "wheelsucker"

Bit redundant don't you think? Considering they're the same word. :D

Frihed89 said:

climbing behind a teammate that looks out for you is much more comfortable than attempting to hang on to the wheel of competitors or trying to rely on other riders domestics. Although , on paper, sucking wheels is the same regardless of who is front, in reality, a teammate , smooth things up for you, minimizes unnecessary efforts brought on by changes in cadence. They makes the progressing up the hill more regular. It is something a leader and his teammates can practice when they prepare for a climb. Opponents can purposely force you to work harder even though you are on their wheel

Dedelou said:
climbing behind a teammate that looks out for you is much more comfortable than attempting to hang on to the wheel of competitors or trying to rely on other riders domestics. Although , on paper, sucking wheels is the same regardless of who is front, in reality, a teammate , smooth things up for you, minimizes unnecessary efforts brought on by changes in cadence. They makes the progressing up the hill more regular. It is something a leader and his teammates can practice when they prepare for a climb. Opponents can purposely force you to work harder even though you are on their wheel

Thanks to you and to the previous poster as well.

First things first - hello to everyone, I always enjoy reading these forums as there are so many entertaining posters.

Second, my question. Yesterday on the race thread there was a discussion of the time gap falling when the breakaway started one of the climbs. A few posters said this was obvious (as the break was now travelling at a slower pace than the peloton which was still on the flat) and it would correct itself once everyone was climbing. And a few posters disagreed saying it's a time gap not distance so the terrain doesn't matter. But as far as I know (and I haven't studied the entire thread since) there was no resolution. It's been bothering me since, and I've come to the conclusion that the answer depends entirely on how they calculate the time gap. So does anyone know, how exactly how do they measure the time gap between riders?

Who is she?:p
podium_girls-18.jpg

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Schleck tactics

In general read a lot of criticism of the Schlecks on this and other media: they're too defensive, spend too much time waiting for one another, seem to lack the killer instinct etc.

Were they better yesterday on Luz-Ardiden? I've seen them do this thing before where they seem to take turns attacking so as to break the others' rhythms. Or is the strategy rather that one of them does that so that the other can then be slightly fresher for a decisive attack later? Either way, it's a slightly unusual tactic isn't it? Other top riders don't put their helpers to work in quite that way: e.g. yesterday on Luz-Ardiden Szmyd role for Basso by pushing a steady pace with Basso on his wheel for as long as he could, then dropped off - that's a more conventional way to help, right?

I guess there's a related question about the Schlecks struggling to decide which of them should win. On British Eurosport yesterday over the last couple of km when Frank got away from the other main contenders, the commentator (Harmon?) kept suggesting excitedly that Basso or Evans or Contador or Andy might attack anytime. But Andy woun't have done that at that stage, would he? But if that's right, it looks like Frank was riding against him yesterday. What's that all about?

Do please just direct me to another thread if this is already being covered elsewhere.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Splintered said:
In general read a lot of criticism of the Schlecks on this and other media: they're too defensive, spend too much time waiting for one another, seem to lack the killer instinct etc.

Were they better yesterday on Luz-Ardiden? I've seen them do this thing before where they seem to take turns attacking so as to break the others' rhythms. Or is the strategy rather that one of them does that so that the other can then be slightly fresher for a decisive attack later? Either way, it's a slightly unusual tactic isn't it? Other top riders don't put their helpers to work in quite that way: e.g. yesterday on Luz-Ardiden Szmyd role for Basso by pushing a steady pace with Basso on his wheel for as long as he could, then dropped off - that's a more conventional way to help, right?

I guess there's a related question about the Schlecks struggling to decide which of them should win. On British Eurosport yesterday over the last couple of km when Frank got away from the other main contenders, the commentator (Harmon?) kept suggesting excitedly that Basso or Evans or Contador or Andy might attack anytime. But Andy woun't have done that at that stage, would he? But if that's right, it looks like Frank was riding against him yesterday. What's that all about?

Do please just direct me to another thread if this is already being covered elsewhere.

This tactic is actually quite a classic one when you have 2 riders of the same team together. In this case it's important to notice the Schlecks are both close in GC (ie Szmyd/Basso would not work, because szmyd is not a contender for the podium, so they would let him ride). Since both Schlecks are placed very well, with only seconds between them and other GC contenders, they can alternate attacks knowing that others cannot respond to each and every attack, although they are theoretically forced to. Once an attack sticks, one gains valuable time for GC and the other just 'rests' in the wheel of another contender.

You see this often in breaks in stages/one-day races as well, where one team has 2 representatives. If they want to take the stage win, they alternate, with one attacking and the other one either disrupting the chase or sitting in last wheel (where he has the best view as well). If the others in the break pull back one attack, the rested rider will go; the earlier attacker can then rest for a couple of minutes and have the other do all the work to pull back his team mate.

A Recommendation Please

I know very little about cycling. My only experience comes from watching the Tour de France on TV in Denmark over many years. I also have been watching many of the other televised races, but not as consistently.

Is there a good book about road racing tactics that anyone could recommend?

Thanks.

Frihed89 said:
I know very little about cycling. My only experience comes from watching the Tour de France on TV in Denmark over many years. I also have been watching many of the other televised races, but not as consistently.

Is there a good book about road racing tactics that anyone could recommend?

Thanks.

Read The Rider by Tim Krabbe. If you wish to learn of some lesser books :) do a search for a cycling book thread that is on this site, the thread had a pretty extensive list. Keep in mind, they all fail to measure up to The Rider. :p

Bala Verde said:
This tactic is actually quite a classic one when you have 2 riders of the same team together. In this case it's important to notice the Schlecks are both close in GC (ie Szmyd/Basso would not work, because szmyd is not a contender for the podium, so they would let him ride). Since both Schlecks are placed very well, with only seconds between them and other GC contenders, they can alternate attacks knowing that others cannot respond to each and every attack, although they are theoretically forced to. Once an attack sticks, one gains valuable time for GC and the other just 'rests' in the wheel of another contender.

This is probably also why it most have been a bit of a blow for them to lose "Birdie" yesterday. With him close in GC Trek would've had not two but three cards to play out.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this has been asked before, but...

Suppose someone is leading in the points or king of the mountain classification, but withdraws near the end of the race (crash, or whatever), yet, when the race finishes, still has the most points. I'm assuming they do not win the classification, right? Any examples of this?

JohnNordin said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but...

Suppose someone is leading in the points or king of the mountain classification, but withdraws near the end of the race (crash, or whatever), yet, when the race finishes, still has the most points. I'm assuming they do not win the classification, right? Any examples of this?

With luck you might see that this year :p. OPL have made it clear they won't be unhappy if cav is eliminated on time and Gilbert will take green :p

But the answer is yes -you must finish the race to win a classification.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Here's a question; (not purely TDF related, I might add...)

Why does Simon Gerrans always have a different helmet on to the rest of his team mates?

Is his head a strange size that is difficult to cater for..??

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Right, heres another one....

TDF Race Numbers: It appears that race numbers have the flag of the riders nationality in the top left corner, and also the EU flag in the top right.

Does this only apply to riders from countries within Europe, or do all riders have the EU flag...? Just an observation....:confused:

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Andy99 said:
Right, heres another one....

TDF Race Numbers: It appears that race numbers have the flag of the riders nationality in the top left corner, and also the EU flag in the top right.

Does this only apply to riders from countries within Europe, or do all riders have the EU flag...? Just an observation....:confused:

No, they don't. You can actually just about see that from your own picture of Gerrans you posted.

To make it clearer, here's another Gerrans picture (again compare with Flecha 112):

pic207427549_600.jpg

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
No, they don't. You can actually just about see that from your own picture of Gerrans you posted.

To make it clearer, here's another Gerrans picture (again compare with Flecha 112):

pic207427549_600.jpg

Ta. There was a good shot of Cadel riding alongside Thor riding out from the start this morning which showed the same..

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Andy99 said:
Here's a question; (not purely TDF related, I might add...)

Why does Simon Gerrans always have a different helmet on to the rest of his team mates?

Is his head a strange size that is difficult to cater for..??

I also noticed that, I think Matthew Hayman uses the same helmet as Gerrans. But I have no idea why they have a different helmet...