• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Got a TdF Question? Post it here

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
National Champs Jerseys

Not exactly a Tour-centric question, but why don't some of the National Champions have their country's flag plastered all over their jerseys as in past?

I thought being the current national champion meant you were supposed to stand out.

Leopard-Trek have totally minimalised the Luxembourg and Swiss jerseys, Movistar have continued to make the current champion look like a former champion (a la Valverde in 2008) and the Russian champion's jersey has been similarly vandalised like Pozzato's abomination of an Italian champion's jersey was in 2009.

Does anyone know why?

A

Anonymous

some teams respect the national champions jerseys, some teams dont. Some federations insist on certain standards (Italian), some federations dont.

The swiss and luxembourgish champions jerseys are frankly not really worth much and leopard seem to have the same view. :(

NOticable that the Belgian jersey is always big and bold whoever wears it, same with the french. Guess those riders have more pride in their national championships. If being luxembourg champion was really important to schleck he would make more of it.

put it this way, if Leopard had the italian or belgian champion on their team there is no way those two national federations would settle for a band around the middle.

biokemguy said:
Anybody know if the motorcycle rider that came a bit too close to Nicki Sørensen will get booted from the caravan? Seems to me that he should, if ASO really cares about rider safety. A sketchy course is debatable, but reckless motor cycles in the caravan should not be tolerated IMHO.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-race-director-blames-nervousness-for-crashes

According to this, he was banned from the rest of the Tour.

The driver explained to Cyclingnews that he wasn't consulted regarding the incident. "There were four motorbikes who wanted to pass the peloton. Contador was back in the peloton and the first motorbike slowed down to take photos which is not allowed. Through the radio Mr. Pescheux told us that we had to drop back. I pulled over to the right hand side of the road and didn't move from that line. Suddenly I heard that noise," the driver said, referring to the bike that clung to his motorbike.

From the information available, the motorcycle came up from behind Sorensen and appeared to have dragged his bike and/or him for about 200 meters. If the motorcycle had just been told to drop back, how did he drag a bike forward? His explanation doesn't quite fit.

Publicus said:
Anyone know why AC isn't riding the SL4? From what I can tell he's still on a SL3.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tour-de-france-tech-custom-aero-bottles-for-rabobank

One rider who notably isn't on one of the new machines is last year's Tour de France winner, Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank-Sungard), who is still using his elaborately custom painted S-Works Tarmac SL3 bikes from last year. According to Sims, Contador simply hasn't had enough testing time on the updated version to race on it for such an important event so he stuck with what he knew.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
myrideissteelerthanyours said:
Do people still refer to bradley wiggins as wigans or whatever? Is that his unofficial nickname?
Some do, I think the usage of 'Wigans' died out a little this season, especially since he won the Dauphine. Most seem to just go with 'Wiggo' now.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
cycladianpirate said:
How accurate is the speed indicator on the LeTour website?

It was showing 82.8kph during today's sprint....:eek:
With that long, straight finish, the 8 man lead out and a tail wind I don't doubt its accuracy.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Was checking out the official french tour magazine. They've got a pick of Meckx from 69 holding up white, green and yellow jersey. Is the white jersey for the mountain classification? (It seems the youth classification wasn't introduced until 1975.)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Magnus said:
Was checking out the official french tour magazine. They've got a pick of Meckx from 69 holding up white, green and yellow jersey. Is the white jersey for the mountain classification? (It seems the youth classification wasn't introduced until 1975.)

Sure it's not the combination classification? (Which he won in 1969... see lapjestrui or in english combination classification)

and http://www.cyclingstory.nl/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Shirt-Johan-van-de-Velde-kopie-223x300.jpg

Back then in 1968 and later it was awarded in the form of the white jersey, later it was actually a 'quilt-like' jersey.

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
cycladianpirate said:
How accurate is the speed indicator on the LeTour website?

It was showing 82.8kph during today's sprint....:eek:

Clearly not that accurate. They covered the last km in 65s which is an average speed of about 55kph. I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing 70kph in the last 200m but 80kph seems too high.

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I am wondering with all the crashes and riding wounded, what is allowed and what isn't in regards to getting better? I don't want this to go to the clinic, that isn't my question. My knowledge of getting players better comes from American football or basketball. If a guy is hurt in american football or basketball, they go to the locker room where medical help is given. From those players I have heard they can drain fluid that is collecting in knees, give cortisone, give pain meds.

What can a cyclist legally do? I see on the road seemingly all they just spray that spray and wrap wounds?

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I was wondering how they always have a jersey ready for the podium presentations complete with the correct sponsors for the rider who has won it on that day. Do they have a mass stash of each jersey for each team in case a rider from that team wins? If so there would be a lot of unused jerseys each day emblazoned with a team/sponsor name that didnt win it. Or do they have some equipment at the finish line which applies the team/sponsor badge onto the jersey(s) in the few minutes between the end of the stage and the podium ceremony.

I hope that isnt a dumb question...