• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

GP Miguel Indurain - 2 April 2016

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Forget about Flanders, which is on sunday. The real race will be on saturday!! A real classic on its own, but also an important final test for País Vasco. Of course i'm talking about the Gran Premio Miguel Indurain, named after one of the best cyclists of the entire history. Big Mig: 5-time winner of the Tour, 2 time winner of the Giro, multiple Dauphinés, Paris-Nice, Catalunya's and World and Olympic champion ITT. But he also won this race, in 1987, back then known as the GP Navarra.

In the past, other big riders won this race: José Perez Frances (1961 and 1963), Miguel Maria Lasa (1971, 1974 and 1978), Domingo Perurena (1973), Perico Delgado (1988 and 1990), Alex Zulle (1996), Paco Mancebo (1998) and Stefano Garzelli (1999).

If we look at the big 4 (yes, Samu too) of current Spanish cycling, Purito (2010), Sammy Sanchez (2011) and Valverde (2014) won this race. However, a fellow countrymen and current cyclist, who will also compete this year, has won it even more often. Angel Vicioso won it 3 times during his career: in 2001, 2002 and last year. He will try to be sole leader with 4 victories. At the moment, he keeps the record with Hortensio Vidaurreta, who won the first three editions in 1951, 1952 and 1953.

Winners of this race from 2010

2010: Joaquim Rodriguez
2011: Samuel Sanchez
2012: Dani Moreno
2013: Simon Spilak
2014: Alejandro Valverde
2015: Angel Vicioso

Route

Like all the previous years, the race will (likely) be decided on the final climb of Basilica de Puy. It's a short, steep climb which perfectly suits the puncheurs.

Recorrido-Gran-Premio-Miguel-Indurain.png

Favorites

Katusha: Purito, Vicioso, Spilak
Movistar: Quintana, Dani Moreno, Ion Izagirre
Cannondale: Slagter, Moser
Sky: Sergio Henao, Landa (you never know)
Orica: Adam Yates, Txurukka
Caja Rural: Jose Goncalves, Madrazo, Bilbao
Novo Nordisk: Megias
One Pro Cycling: Dion Smith
Euskadi: Estevez, Bravo
Burgos-BH: Torres
Spain: Christian Rodriguez, Amezqueta
W52: Veloso, Mestre
Radio Popular: Sousa
Inteja: Diego Milan

Share your thoughts and likely winners!

Attachments

• Recorrido-Gran-Premio-Miguel-Indurain.png
    Recorrido-Gran-Premio-Miguel-Indurain.png
    189.1 KB · Views: 1,786
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
If you ask me, i'm thinking something like this:

**** Sergio Henao
*** Adam Yates, Purito
** Nairo Quintana, TJ Slagter, Dani Moreno
* Ion Izagirre, Vicioso, José Goncalves, Madrazo

I have never watched this race but it actually looks pretty easy to me. If the numbers of Eraul are right its nothing more than the Poggio and the other climbs also don't look much harder than any ascents in Milan San Remo. It surprises me that riders like Purito, Sanchez and Valverde have won it in the last few years.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
I have never watched this race but it actually looks pretty easy to me. If the numbers of Eraul are right its nothing more than the Poggio and the other climbs also don't look much harder than any ascents in Milan San Remo. It surprises me that riders like Purito, Sanchez and Valverde have won it in the last few years.

The profile does not show how hard it is in reality. Puy itself is quite a hard climb, and most of the time it goes uphill.

Gigs_98 said:

There's hardly a meter of flat in the latter half, so it's more like an Amstel Gold Race than a Milano Sanremo. Also, the weaker fields have obviously made it easier for Purito & co to make the difference on the climbs. And I seem to remember the final climb is properly brutally steep. There has usually been some significant time gaps.

Basilica del Puy is not that much of a climb but it's quite irregular (Look, Ángel Vicioso got to the end at the front). That's the main thing with a lot of these smaller and mid-sized climbs in the Cantabria-País Vasco-Navarra area, which means meagre stats don't always give it away.

That said, describing this as more Amstel Gold than Lombardia is definitely accurate. We aren't talking your classic traditional Murito. I will add, though, it's not always been settled on the Puy, Valverde's win in 2014 was a long distance solo.

TRENDING THREADS