• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Graham Watson is just one more LA's blabber?!

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Honestly - I didn't expect that kind of statement from Graham Watson at all!!!

in his twitter - "@trek60 ..no, I don't think Alberto has the ruthlessness in him to try that, nor the right entourage to guide him. His motivation might be a lack of start money in Catalunya, and a wish to embed him and Astana with ASO prior to the Tour; Astana needs an invite as well. There are already rumours that salaries are unpaid, that Contador might need to play up to ASO to get into the Tour...on another team."

WTF?!! so many words and there is not a word of truth in it!

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
KazakhNeRider said:

in his twitter - "@trek60 ..no, I don't think Alberto has the ruthlessness in him to try that, nor the right entourage to guide him. His motivation might be a lack of start money in Catalunya, and a wish to embed him and Astana with ASO prior to the Tour; Astana needs an invite as well. There are already rumours that salaries are unpaid, that Contador might need to play up to ASO to get into the Tour...on another team."

Belittling Contador's brother, press agent, mechanic etcetera as a poor entourage is a page out of the Armstrong play book.

I've never heard any mention of Contador asking for or receiving appearance money for races, or anyone besides Armstrong doing so, for that matter.

Contador is a two time Tour de France winner and four time Grand Tour champion, and he just won Paris-Nice, so he really shouldn't need to buddy up to the ASO.

Astana is one of sixteen teams guaranteed a TdF invitation from a 2008 agreement.

The UCI forced Astana to post a huge bank guarantee before they agreed to renew/extend their Pro Tour license, so salaries wouldn't be an issue. The talk of Alberto looking to ride for another team at the Tour is 2009.

This wasn't a public announcement, just part of a public conversation. But is this how these guys actually think and talk to each other?

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
KazakhNeRider said:

Completly agree with you. Does anyone have a twitter account where they can explain to Watson that Astana are guaranteed entry this year re: the 2008 agreement and as far a ruthlessness is concerned, just watch Contador kick his a55?

It is disheartening to see guys like Liggett, Sherwen (who in my opinion never could hold a candle to Phil in the commentary box, but every Abbott needs a Costello I guess) and now Graham Watson have developed these deliriously obsessive man-crushes on Armstrong to the point where they don't even attempt to vaguely mask their bias.

That's why I don't pay attention to any of them anymore.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
is that the same graham watson who promoted armstrong chances in the 2009 tour ?

for a long time cycling insider and a keen witness of cycling moments that was an incredibly unwise if not a downright ignorant position to take.

watson has apparently become a screw in the armstrong's pr machine. he is spouting his prescribed bits and earning his bread.

in the mean time i love how contador changed his racing schedule to face armstrong with his legs whilst the oldie is answering with the propaganda of his mouthpieces.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Watson has long been in the pay of Armstrong so no real surprises that he'd come out with such a bunch of twaddle - I have pointed out his mistruth to him ;)

The guy's a photographer, not a team boss or official.

Even after years in the game, the nature of his business means that he essentially remains a spectator like most of us here. He's just fortunate in that he gets to be closer to the peloton than us.

So I think we should take his pictures seriously, not his words. :)

No surprise...about two years ago he said that Lemond was a great champion but was now bitter that he wasn't the most successful American rider any longer. Watson has prostituted himself. Extra access to Lance...better photos...more money. Sad.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:
Watson has prostituted himself. Extra access to Lance...better photos...more money. Sad.
I know for a fact Graham gives ALL riders free use of any photos he takes of them, so I don't think money is an issue. He has always said he likes Lance and doesn't hide the fact.

I agree with L'arriviste
we should take his pictures seriously, not his words

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
python said:
the hog, could you guess how watson would tune his angles if he photographed armstrong tummy in s. africa ?

I am not the hog, but this is would be my suggestion to Graham Waston:

back_of_head.jpg

What about every dude on Armstrongs payroll and their obsession with AC? I mean, they take every little inch of the day to belittle AC. Can´t be healthy with so much obsession with one man.

Or is it just a tactic while photoshopping the blob looking slimmer promising to come out well in July?

No_Balls said:
What about every dude on Armstrongs payroll ...

Your username just reminded me of that awful Lotto ad on Sporza here in Belgium. :D

If you haven't seen it - and for the benefit of everyone else who hasn't - it's got this Matrix bullet time sequence of a dirty Silence-Lotto rider on cobbles with the rotors of the helicopter above turning slowly and the voiceover says - and remember that this is a Flemish language channel - in English with a movie trailer-style accent "No balls, no glory". The reference is to the lottery balls, of course.

It's crazy. Sometimes I forget that I'm a foreigner here and then I listen to the radio and they don't bleep out the F words in English-language rap and rock and I'm scandalised! :p

L'arriviste said:
Your username just reminded me of that awful Lotto ad on Sporza here in Belgium. :D

If you haven't seen it - and for the benefit of everyone else who hasn't - it's got this Matrix bullet time sequence of a dirty Silence-Lotto rider on cobbles with the rotors of the helicopter above turning slowly and the voiceover says - and remember that this is a Flemish language channel - in English with a movie trailer-style accent "No balls, no glory". The reference is to the lottery balls, of course.

It's crazy. Sometimes I forget that I'm a foreigner here and then I listen to the radio and they don't bleep out the F words in English-language rap and rock and I'm scandalised! :p

No, i haven´t. But great story nevertheless :D

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
The guy's a photographer <snip> we should take his pictures seriously, not his words. :)
ok.

whilst graham watson talks down contador, i will use his trades language - the language of images - to illustarte contadors chances.

Stage 1. armstrong’s face slap #1, hill top finish ,PORTO-VECCHIO - 14.2 km climb to 6.2 %
PROFILKMS.gif

Stage 2. Basically a rest day before armstrong's face slap # 2.

PROFIL.gif

Stage 3: ITT,armstrong face slap #2

PROFIL.gif

polish,
know any bookmakers who started taking bets already ?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Why do I let myself do this. Well, there goes.

Firstly - who has read the question that was asked of Watson? Hands up. You, boy at the back, oh, you're just scratching your head. Because the question asks "Do you think Alberto is trying to intimidate Lance early?". Now read the answer again.

Second question. Is a professional journalist entitled to a personal opinion? Perhaps yes, I think. If it does not impact on their work it should surely be allowed. And if it is likely to do, then declare it, so that people are fully in possession of the facts for the matter. For the record, Watson has regularly mentioned that he is an admirer of Armstrong. And Sastre, and Contador and many others.

Thirdly, was this posted on his professional twitter site? Again, no, it was on a site that he uses personally. Granted he has probably a lot of cross over, but nonetheless, the distinction is drawn.

Fourthly, is he paid to be a balanced, unbiased, fair and unlobbyable journalist. NO. He is a freelancer who has come good, and his responsibility is to sell photos to earn his crust and house his family if he has one. Armstrong photos will unfortunately make him much more money than Hushovd photos (and the mighty Thor is a looker;)), so he will more likely take photos of him.

As regards rumours, I heard a rumour that some people who are ridiculously anti-Lance are starting to sound as hollow as some who are fanboys. But of course, it may be just a rumour...

KazakhNeRider said:

He´s a photographer, not a team director nor a tactician not even a commentator. To top it off, he´s basically a cycling photographer......pretty much a one trick poney. There´s absolutly no reason to take anything he says as anything but his own humble fanboy perspective. I suspect those like Watson who are welcome within the LA inner sanction start to believe they are part of that special something; they´re better, know more, see more and start having illusions of Grand Tour wisdom and knowledge.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Bluebeard said:
Why do I let myself do this. Well, there goes.

Firstly - who has read the question that was asked of Watson? Hands up. You, boy at the back, oh, you're just scratching your head. Because the question asks "Do you think Alberto is trying to intimidate Lance early?". Now read the answer again.

Second question. Is a professional journalist entitled to a personal opinion? Perhaps yes, I think. If it does not impact on their work it should surely be allowed. And if it is likely to do, then declare it, so that people are fully in possession of the facts for the matter. For the record, Watson has regularly mentioned that he is an admirer of Armstrong. And Sastre, and Contador and many others.

Thirdly, was this posted on his professional twitter site? Again, no, it was on a site that he uses personally. Granted he has probably a lot of cross over, but nonetheless, the distinction is drawn.

Fourthly, is he paid to be a balanced, unbiased, fair and unlobbyable journalist. NO. He is a freelancer who has come good, and his responsibility is to sell photos to earn his crust and house his family if he has one. Armstrong photos will unfortunately make him much more money than Hushovd photos (and the mighty Thor is a looker;)), so he will more likely take photos of him.

As regards rumours, I heard a rumour that some people who are ridiculously anti-Lance are starting to sound as hollow as some who are fanboys. But of course, it may be just a rumour...
c'mon.

all your points are missing the mark.

in just several dozen characters watson publicly laid down heaps of misinformation, distortions and plain untruths about contador, his character and his team.

i can't recall reading so much garbage in so few words.

Well anyone who gets Cycle Sport magazine knows that Watson has a photographic section and each month one unretired rider seems to feature regardless of whehter he has done anything to warrant inclusion. Guess who?

For example, there was photos of Lance at the Tour of Ireland and he done what there? thats right nothing except whine about the weather, roads and then drop out.

Watson is a fanboy undoubtedly, but thats his choice.

TRENDING THREADS