• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Graham Watson: Keeper of Omerta

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 18, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Not sure what this has to do with omertà.

hrotha, you know the deal. Watson has been targeted as an LA/omerta loving loon. That means everything that comes out of his mouth should be ridiculed and belittled. Too bad, because it would seem to me that his thoughts on Martin/quickstep are right on.

I hope he doesn't tweet tomorrow that the sun will rise in the east. We will all have to rethink that if he does.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
hrotha, you know the deal. Watson has been targeted as an LA/omerta loving loon. That means everything that comes out of his mouth should be ridiculed and belittled. Too bad, because it would seem to me that his thoughts on Martin/quickstep are right on.

I hope he doesn't tweet tomorrow that the sun will rise in the east. We will all have to rethink that if he does.

Keep your head in the sand fanboy. This is all part of the plot. Quick Step are one of the best teams in cycling - Watson is just part of the Omerta. Quick Step are victims of a plot to keep them down at the bottom (after Vacansoleil) of the World Rankings. The corrupt UCI hand out points for winning races - it's a joke. They've been on the blacklist since Boonen left US Postal.

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
Easy to be a critic, sitting on the back of a motorcycle...

Or in a cubicle. :)
Seriously, should this discussion be in a thread titled "Which team is the most underperforming lot in the World Tour?" and everyone be entitled to an opinion in that regard?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
To be fair, Quick Step have been a bit crap this year.
More than a bit according to the UCI WorldTour points ranking system.

1 LEOPARD TREK (LEO) LUX 949
2 BMC RACING TEAM (BMC) USA 874
4 OMEGA PHARMA-LOTTO (OLO) BEL 845
3 HTC-HIGHROAD (THR) USA 764
5 LAMPRE - ISD (LAM) ITA 644
6 SAXO BANK SUNGARD (SBS) DEN 637
7 SKY PROCYCLING (SKY) GBR 622
8 TEAM RADIOSHACK (RSH) USA 609
9 TEAM GARMIN-CERVELO (GRM) USA 575
10 LIQUIGAS-CANNONDALE (LIQ) ITA 540
11 RABOBANK CYCLING TEAM (RAB) NED 505
12 KATUSHA TEAM (KAT) RUS 446
13 EUSKALTEL-EUSKADI (EUS) ESP 416
14 PRO TEAM ASTANA (AST) KAZ 403
15 MOVISTAR TEAM (MOV) ESP 353
16 AG2R LA MONDIALE (ALM) FRA 335
17 QUICKSTEP CYCLING TEAM (QST) BEL 318
18 VACANSOLEIL-DCM PRO CYCLING TEAM (VCD) NED 266

As for Watsons comments - a little bit silly (perhaps in jest?) because QS's major problem has been that they are too focused on the Classics and need a guy who can do well in short stage races, which is why Martins move is good for both parties.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Keep your head in the sand fanboy. This is all part of the plot. Quick Step are one of the best teams in cycling - Watson is just part of the Omerta. Quick Step are victims of a plot to keep them down at the bottom (after Vacansoleil) of the World Rankings. The corrupt UCI hand out points for winning races - it's a joke. They've been on the blacklist since Boonen left US Postal.

People on crack shouldn't post. Or...

joker-not-sure-if-serious1.jpg

ChrisE said:

You got all that from a couple of brief posts on the matter?

A

Anonymous

kielbasa said:
Or in a cubicle. :)
Seriously, should this discussion be in a thread titled "Which team is the most underperforming lot in the World Tour?" and everyone be entitled to an opinion in that regard?

Dang, it's obvious you know ****-all about who you are addressing. From my understanding Mr. Mac is a beast.

Past that, Graham deserves to be ridiculed every moment his stupid fat a$$ is awake. World class ******bag that one is.

Graham Watson - Keeper of the Omerta

BroDeal said:
Snarfed this from a post on Bike Radar. It is from the Q&A portion of Watson's website.
10/11/2010:

Hi Eric, I've not noticed that mistake, I'll have my webmaster look at it. Sorry we cannot appease you, I'm a fan of both guys, they both did a lot for my career, just a shame one cannot keep his mouth shut.. GW

Many thanks - I have not laughed so much in weeks. If anyone outside the sport wanted to know why it is necessary to get closure with Lance by driving allegations through to a conclusion - I have not seen anything better.

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Seeing it from Watson's perspective, he's been friends with lots of these riders over the last thirty years.

It must feel like Lemond is stabbing him through the heart.

Doesn't Greg remember the money they made each other back in the day?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
jamiephillips said:
Seeing it from Watson's perspective, he's been friends with lots of these riders over the last thirty years.

It must feel like Lemond is stabbing him through the heart.

Doesn't Greg remember the money they made each other back in the day?

what money would Watson have made for Lemond? Plenty of photographers have covered the TdF before Watson and plenty will after, never mind the other 50 covering it at the same time.

He made Armstrong so much money that Armstrong had his own other personal photographer a few times.

May 18, 2011
Visit site
^ Exactly. That was meant to be tongue in cheek!! :)

**edit** If you must know though I think Watson's stock definitely rose during the English speaking invasion of the 80's. Lemond, Kelly, the Peugeot "foreign legion" etc.

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
what money would Watson have made for Lemond? Plenty of photographers have covered the TdF before Watson and plenty will after, never mind the other 50 covering it at the same time.

He made Armstrong so much money that Armstrong had his own other personal photographer a few times.

It is no secret that Lemond and the other English speaking pros in the 80's like the Peugeot "Foreign Legion" and Sean Kelly made Watson's name. I'm sure he has said as much himself.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
jamiephillips said:
^ Exactly. That was meant to be tongue in cheek!! :)

**edit** If you must know though I think Watson's stock definitely rose during the English speaking invasion of the 80's. Lemond, Kelly, the Peugeot "foreign legion" etc.

D'oh. My bad.

Watson definitely made a living due to the emergence of anglo-phone riders, especially the success of Kelly, Lemond, Roche and Robert Millar and then Armstrong.

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Why would anyone who makes a good living from professional cycling spit in the soup? David Harmon, Sean Kelly and Brian Smith arn't much better. They make the odd bleat about doping but mainly skirt around the subject. Much like Cyclesport and Procycling. Watson, although stupid, can't be singled out for keeping the omerta!

jamiephillips said:
Why would anyone who makes a good living from professional cycling spit in the soup? David Harmon, Sean Kelly and Brian Smith arn't much better. They make the odd bleat about doping but mainly skirt around the subject. Much like Cyclesport and Procycling. Watson, although stupid, can't be singled out for keeping the omerta!

I think that goes for anyone who makes a living out of the sport, pretty much everyone working for the mainstream media upholds omerta. The only time they ever speak out about it is when there is a convenient punching bag like ricco.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
I think that goes for anyone who makes a living out of the sport, pretty much everyone working for the mainstream media upholds omerta. The only time they ever speak out about it is when there is a convenient punching bag like ricco.

Yes, Mrs Murphy, we know. But, as we have discussed before not everybody can be as principalled as you when it comes to careers, income for family, and other needs that life brings us. Shooting the finger at your livelihood is not good for those things. Some of us do have to be a little bit of a w**re, you know. Fortunately, you have made all decisions in your life based upon steadfast moral principals. Good for you.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Speechless. All I can say is I'm really quite offended that he includes himself as part of a sport I love. He has no part to play in it.

TRENDING THREADS