• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gran Fondo Hincapie (Feat. Lance)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
zigmeister said:
You obviously didn't read the article. A lot of comments and issues people have with this is the newer generation of riders who are the "clean" future like TJ, Baushce etc...are part of the event.

Yes, it is for charity as well, but they just shrug off all of the negative impressions that people might have and say, oh well, let others decide on that subject.

Personally, I wouldn't be showing up as a current clean rider and persona in the peloton and be seen with these guys. Friends or not. Just can't do it. Shows how self serving all of these guys are, dopers/former dopers or not.

The problem with being involved with a charity is unwanted baggage often comes along for the ride...
There is still plenty of the entrenched dirty regime to pressure young riders to do things in our ridiculously clownish "sport".

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if the old Postal/Disco hands will take it upon themselves to hand out special commemorative white lunch bags to relive the old days (snark)?

I like Tejay as a rider but this is a very dumb move on his part to attend this from a PR standpoint.

Oldman said:
The problem with being involved with a charity is unwanted baggage often comes along for the ride...
There is still plenty of the entrenched dirty regime to pressure young riders to do things in our ridiculously clownish "sport".

Beautiful description.

The best quote is the one that's missing, grand pappy Horner. Surprised they don't give him an honorary platinum package.

veganrob said:

Bill Kellick is a tool. What a poisonous organization. They are intentionally trying to confuse the situation. It's right there on the gran fondo release.

I understand and agree that the UCI Anti-Doping
Rules and U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) Protocol apply to
me and that it is my responsibility to comply with those rules....

https://s3.amazonaws.com/USACWeb/forms/eventrelease_oneday.pdf

And USADA response is correct.
we reached out to USA Cycling, and we are awaiting their determination as to whether or not this Gran Fondo qualifies as an authorized event under the rules.

Because the authority rests with USA Cycling, not USADA. What a dirty bunch of dopers at USA Cycling.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
veganrob said:

“I think it sends out the wrong signal, it shows that doping pays. Is it any wonder that people are very sceptical about the sport when someone with a lifetime ban still thinks the rules don’t apply?” Andreu told CyclingTips, then added wryly, “it’s too bad Michele Ferrari and Johan [Bruyneel] won’t be there since they were such an integral part of the success enjoyed by the old timers.”

I guess doping didnt pay for Frankie?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
I guess you can only laugh at the irony...

"USADA to preserve the integrity of the George Hincapie Gran Fondo".. :cool:

the good dopers must be protected from the evil influence of Lance.

send in Tygart to exorcise his demons.

USAC isn't the sanctioning/controlling organization of any Fun rides. They provide insurance. No licensing by cyclist are required.

Hence, there is no competition as far as they are concerned.

USAC just wants to get their piece of the money collected, provide the insurance and move on.

Not that I'm going to any Fondo anytime soon...kind of a meaningless event.

We got a local training crit every week during the summer...besides the newly inflated price to cover the insurance via USAC, I don't see anybody scanning the list of riders before the whistle blows to see who is actually a licensed USAC cyclist. Oh, but you can use the crits as points towards upgrades as and education/training seminar or what that nonsense is they offer in the system.

Really need to put these things in writing and specify clearly what is what when it comes to events, types etc..

the sceptic said:
I guess doping didnt pay for Frankie?

After Frankie was berated for not getting on the program he had his salary slashed (never received his 00 Tour bonus by the way) and was subsequently fired for ostensibly not willing to be a "team player" i.e. become a junkie and/or see Ferrari. So no, for Frankie doping didn't pay. Good try though Septic. Unlike others, he didn't dope as a teenager and was an established pro before he used epo. As we later learned, transfusing blood as well as scarfing down PEDs and getting injected with them paid off financially. Sorry to burst your bubble but Frankie wasn't in that crowd. Thanks for caring though, sceptic.:D

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
elizab said:
After Frankie was berated for not getting on the program he had his salary slashed (never received his 00 Tour bonus by the way) and was subsequently fired for ostensibly not willing to be a "team player" i.e. become a junkie and/or see Ferrari. So no, for Frankie doping didn't pay. Good try though Septic. Unlike others, he didn't dope as a teenager and was an established pro before he used epo. As we later learned, transfusing blood as well as scarfing down PEDs and getting injected with them paid off financially. Sorry to burst your bubble but Frankie wasn't in that crowd. Thanks for caring though, sceptic.:D

Without prejudice, I am curious if his current business dealings or anything of the sort are receiving any advantages through being a cycling / doping media "go to guy" and constantly being in the media's eye?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Without prejudice, I am curious if his current business dealings or anything of the sort are receiving any advantages through being a cycling / doping media "go to guy" and constantly being in the media's eye?

Oh yeah, interviews with Cycling websites are incredible lucrative. He has done a good job of keeping it secret but with all the money coming in lately Frankie has been able to buy a big hotel like George

Super secret spy shot of Frankie's hotel in the foothills of Detroit, perfect for training camps

_70076373_yucca,az.jpg

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Confusion continues.

In this case, there would be no one to stop Armstrong, or anyone else, from riding. According to Kellick, if Armstrong does participate, it would then fall to USADA to determine what, if any penalty is meted out and then up to USAC to enforce any penalties.
Forget about all the old, retired dopers for a moment.

Could USADA warn off the likes of Tejay and some of the other young, "new generation" brainiacs from showing up?

Dear Wiggo said:

Seriously? Did you read Phil Gaimon's book on the team he and Frankie were on together? Enough said.
How about Frankie was the ONLY guy in road racing who had the balls to tell a journalist he did wrong as the reason he's garnered some respect by those in the sport who care? I tell you what, more do not care. You guys have no idea.

Race Radio said:
Oh yeah, interviews with Cycling websites are incredible lucrative. He has done a good job of keeping it secret but with all the money coming in lately Frankie has been able to buy a big hotel like George

Super secret spy shot of Frankie's hotel in the foothills of Detroit, perfect for training camps

_70076373_yucca,az.jpg

You get a raise RR! I would've posted that but NBC Sports was here too busy ironing out their new deal with Fra-....er....oops. Soooo lucrative, you hit the nail on the head. Wiggo, you'd be jealous of our 04 minivan.
This is quite entertaining.

I know exactly where the trailer, I mean hotel is. Most of my riding miles are around Bloomfield Hills, Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills area. It is not the greatest riding to be truthful but we do the best we can. Maybe Frankie should move it somewhere else. I'd be happy to help him paint it if he likes. ;)

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
elizab said:
Seriously? Did you read Phil Gaimon's book on the team he and Frankie were on together? Enough said.
How about Frankie was the ONLY guy in road racing who had the balls to tell a journalist he did wrong as the reason he's garnered some respect by those in the sport who care? I tell you what, more do not care. You guys have no idea.

No, I didn't read some random book by some random author.

And it appears you did not read my post.

Frankie is in the cycling media a lot - or at least it seems that way. I am asking if that helps his current business endeavours, because you seem adamant that doping has not afforded him any advantages.

I expect sarcastic white knighting from some posters, but if you can say honestly that having a media presence is of no benefit (ie actually answer the question I asked) then great - you answered the question.

Your defensiveness seems to lean the other way, though.

Which is cool - I honestly (and you don't believe me or you'd be far less defensive but whatever) could not care less either way.

Just curious is all.

TRENDING THREADS