• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Grand Tour Elimination Game ( 2010s )

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Okay, why do people think the 2010 Vuelta was 3.4 times better than the 2011 Tour?

The 2011 Tour had two days with the best long range full gas GC mountain action of a Tour in this century, while the 2010 Vuelta was just forgettable. A few murito wins for Antón, a crash for GC leader Antón, cycling history's worst TT for a GC leader with Purito and a Nibali win by default.

A little tip. It's better to underline text than bold it because if you have set the forum to nighttime vision it's very hard to see the difference between normal and boldfaced text (and it was only a coincidence that I actually noticed you had highlighted something).

And you may have a point but the 2013 Giro just died, and the 2014 Tour is not looking to feisty, either. So I don't think it can be only explained by the fact that Nibali won.

I remember Vuelta 2010 distinctively and I'm surprised it made it this far.
It was an extremely boring edition.

I mean, at least Vuelta 2013 had Horner climbing entire mountains out of the saddle and the kamikaze version of Nibali on Angliru. It was a lot better and yet it's on the verge of elimination.

A little tip. It's better to underline text than bold it because if you have set the forum to nighttime vision it's very hard to see the difference between normal and boldfaced text (and it was only a coincidence that I actually noticed you had highlighted something).

And you may have a point but the 2013 Giro just died, and the 2014 Tour is not looking to feisty, either. So I don't think it can be only explained by the fact that Nibali won.

Right, I'll try to remember the highlighting thing.

Actually the Nibali fans are very reserved / rational here, I would have expected the 2014 Tour to do way better. So I was just being mean.

I remember Vuelta 2010 distinctively and I'm surprised it made it this far.
It was an extremely boring edition.

I mean, at least Vuelta 2013 had Horner climbing entire mountains out of the saddle and the kamikaze version of Nibali on Angliru. It was a lot better and yet it's on the verge of elimination.
2010 Vuelta was distinctively better than the year before and after. It's also basically the start of the Murito era of La Vuelta with the Valdepenas side by side 3 way uphill sprint.

It was pretty average overall but IMO the surprise is more that some other races are underperforming due to other circumstances.

TRENDING THREADS