• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Great moments in cycling commentating

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Harmon saying Raboshank in the Fleche Wallone last week.

Duffield thinking the Mapei threesome of Bortolami, Museeuw and Tafi were going to sprint it out for the win and that the result hadn't been decided by the directeur sportif. His excitement on the velodrome was superb.

David Harmon: "why do you suppose Damiano Cunego has never been able to recreate the form from when he won the Giro?"
Séan Kelly: "it was a different era of cycling then"
David Harmon: "yes, perhaps, but... *long exposition of possible reasons such as changing diets, conditions, racing tactics and Cunego's reaction to the pressure he has faced since*"
Séan Kelly: (much, much more firmly) "I said, it was a different era of cycling then"

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
This year's RvV was very funny on sporza: Things like: Sterke Stijn zit in de **** or EBH huilt om zijn moeder nu! (EBH is crying for his momma)

Or when the RTBF commentators thought Phille won the 2005 RR championship when it was Boonen :p

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Not strictly a commentator moment but at the end of Eurosport's coverage of the 09 world champs. Dave Harmon clearly just been told that they are finishing coverage before podium presentation and screams "That's Bulls**t" Can't find clip but if anyone has one please post.

Kirby: Rodriguez did well in the Tour of Flanders
Backsted: Flanders? You mean Pozzato
Kirby: No i mean Joaquim Rodriguez
Backsted: No.
Kirby: Oh
Backsted: maybe you mean Flech Wallone
Kirby: oh ok.

Backsted: I know the Basque country so well because I always rode it in the Vuelta, the Basque country is included in the Vuelta almost every year
Harmonn: Indeed.

Paul Sherwen: And here comes Samuel Sanchez of the Euskatel Euskaudi team over the Madeline
Phil Ligger: Hes a poor descender so hell probably get caught.

Kirby: and here comes Ivan Basso
Duffers: Its alejandro Valverde vs Ivan Basso on the Ventoux
Kirby: Ivan Basso is back hes taking it to Alejandro Valverde
Kirby: And weve just got news that Ivan Basso dropped out, so the Liquigas guy working with Valverde at the front, must be someone else.

___

Also anyone got a video from LBL 2010 and Harmonns reactions to Vinos moment of awesomness?

Jamsque said:
An excuse to watch my favourite cycling clip again? Don't mind if I do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uFNvaPfV-w

Meno di tre kilometro al ... traguardOOOBALLAAAAAAAAAAN!

I Love Bettini celebrating while still riding.

Oh yeah, I probably should include a positive one.

Well Italian commentary does rule.

I like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCCdVLcM6y8

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
This year's RvV was very funny on sporza: Things like: Sterke Stijn zit in de **** or EBH huilt om zijn moeder nu! (EBH is crying for his momma)

off-topic: i love the sporza commentators. since bulbarelli retired from RAI commenting in Italy (which was my number one cycling commentator), I adore listening to them, although I don't understand a lot of flamish... conclusie? strack! oi oi oi oi! the best guys around at the moment!

The Hitch said:
Well Italian commentary does rule.
I like this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCCdVLcM6y8
Grande Auro Bulbarelli in forma!!!

The Hitch said:
Kirby: Rodriguez did well in the Tour of Flanders
Backsted: Flanders? You mean Pozzato
Kirby: No i mean Joaquim Rodriguez
Backsted: No.
Kirby: Oh
Backsted: maybe you mean Flech Wallone
Kirby: oh ok.

Backsted: I know the Basque country so well because I always rode it in the Vuelta, the Basque country is included in the Vuelta almost every year
Harmonn: Indeed.
Oh dear Magnus. I thought you were one of the good ones.

Paul Sherwen: And here comes Samuel Sanchez of the Euskatel Euskaudi team over the Madeline
Phil Ligger: Hes a poor descender so hell probably get caught.

To be fair, Sherwen did then come back with "actually I think he's a very good descender", it was mentioned on forums a few times.

Another great one -

Phil Liggett: "here's another attack, this looks a lot like Tony Martin"
Paul Sherwen: "I don't think it does, Phil, I think it must be somebody else"
Phil Liggett: "It does look a lot like Tony Martin, Tony Martin attacking now"
Paul Sherwen: "It's Gerdemann"

Bear in mind, this wasn't from 2008. Gerdemann was wearing bright blue.

Not that I could ever imagine mistaking Gerdemann for Martin anyway.

TRENDING THREADS