• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Great moments in cycling commentating

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ultimobici said:
Comedy value throughout, thank you. Totally partisan and unashamedly so.

The "How can he sit down with ........" comment at the end is priceless!

That's exactly what I thought the first time I saw it, but then I saw a clip of the guy (an Italian I think) who had previously done the fastest run, and they were just as excitable! Think they're just quite into fast mountain biking.

To be fair though, a 19 year old taking 11 seconds out of the world championship field on a three minute course is probably something to get excited about!

Alright, time to revive this thread. Good to see Phil and Paul live from Down Under today, so they could give us gems like:

- calling Grega Bole the champion of Estonia... no wait, correct that, Slovakia

- saying 'the climbers are sharpening their legs for this climb'

- referring to team BMC as 'team BMX'

- saying De Gendt is a talented climber because he won the KOM at the Tour of Britain

any more? Long live the new season of cringeworthy commentary!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Confusing Simon Gerrans with Cadel Evans....admittedly he did pick up his mistake.

Liggett and Sherwn saying Kohler wasnt in the lead group was amusing considering the amount of times you could clearly see him.

Another thing that annoyed me was P & P's continual praise of Armstrong and how he made the even big. The reason why the crowds have gotten bigger has something to do with a guy called Cadel.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Confusing Simon Gerrans with Cadel Evans....admittedly he did pick up his mistake.

Liggett and Sherwn saying Kohler wasnt in the lead group was amusing considering the amount of times you could clearly see him.

Another thing that annoyed me was P & P's continual praise of Armstrong and how he made the even big. The reason why the crowds have gotten bigger has something to do with a guy called Cadel.

Phil and Paul are contractually obliged to mention Lance at least once in every stage they commentate, sorry.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
My favourite commentary today wasn't from P & P but Vossy, who actually makes P & P look smart. I particularly like how he told the AFL players that they would make two of Simon Gerrans, well duh! But for the life of me I couldn't figure out why was he talking to AFL players about cycling?

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
msjett said:
But for the life of me I couldn't figure out why was he talking to AFL players about cycling?

it's cross-promotion, like sending a washed up french chef and a busker playing a piano accordion all the way to southbank in melbourne to pretend to be in france to waste 20 minutes of time they could be showing cycling waffling on in a comically over-the-top french accent about cuisine from the region the race is travelling to/through that day. they all do it. and given that the whole shebang exists purely as a tourism vehicle i hardly think it's fair to get precious on the commercial entities surrounding the event for using it for promotion purposes of their own.
riewoldt is also some sort of ambassador for greenedge, rides a scott foil i'm pretty sure.

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Liggett has been calling Valverde Alessandro for years. I was more perturbed by his calling Moreno "Pereiro" in the final kilometres. Maybe jens_attacks was right and the glory days of 2006 truly ARE back.

he was calling him madrazo for a while there. i swear he's a goldfish and can't remember what happened 2 minutes ago.

A

Anonymous

After Paul pointed out a Lion of Flanders flag by the side of the road, Phils response "I would say they are immigrants"

Telling everyone that Radioshacks full official title was RSN

Phil reminding us that Thomas de G will be looking forward to the final stage because street circuits and crits are his favourite type of race.

And reminding us several times that none of the other riders would know who Rohan Dennis is,hes unkown, nobodies ever heard of him, certainly not the riders.

Even I had heard of Rohan before today.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Phil Liggett's call on Alpe D'Huez will always stick with me. When Fignon attacks, Phil screams "But he's up the road." Alas, I couldn't find it on YouTube. For some reason it always stuck with me.

At the time I thought the race was won and lost on L'Alpe. Sometimes, it's great to be wrong.

TRENDING THREADS