• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Greatest cyclist of all time?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is the greatest cyclist of all time?

• Other (Specify Please)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
IndianCyclist said:
Although Merckx is the No 1, the OP missed Alfredo Binda:(. He was superior to Gimondi, Bartali.

Both Bartali and Gimondi were better than Binda. Binda won Giro and World Champs numerous times (and MSR, Lombardia) admittedly VERY
impressive, but not as good as Bartali (2 time tour, 3 time Giro 3 Lombardia and 4 time MSR winner etc) and Gimondi
1 Tour de France (1965)
3 x Giro d'Italia (1967, 1969, 1976)
1 Vuelta a España (1968)
1 UCI World Championshipss (1973)
1 Milan – San Remo (1974)
1 Paris–Roubaix (1966)
2 x Giro di Lombardia (1966, 1973)
2 x Paris–Brussels (1966, 1976) etc.

Echoes said:
No freaking way in hell.

Agreed.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
melkemugg said:
Hippolyte_Aucouturier_1903.jpg

This man belongs to a list of best train passengers :D

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
ebandit said:
just imagine the impact of a cyclist winning all the jerseys in the tour.......

pointless poll.................nowt to discuss

Mark L

That is impressive to win all the jerseys in the Tour de France, but the rules were different back when Merckx was riding. There was around 8 guys that was allowed to win in the GTs.

Even if the helpers the best legs of the century the wasn't allowed to win. Thats why Merckx have so many victories. He only had to beat those 7 or 8 guys.

There was a stage in the tour I think it was in 71 when danish rider Mogens Frey was in a breakaway and could win the stage. His captain Augostinho join him and told him to back off.

No way said Mogens and rode the sprint only to have Augostinho hold on to his handlebars so he lost the sprint. Luckily enough Augostinho was declassed on the stage and Mogens Frey won.

Final result a stagevictory and a broke carrier. He was back in Denmark a year or 2 later. He broke the rules and became persona non grata

Zvezdarac said:
No. I think you're underrating TDF, and overrating these week long races. All kinds of riders have won them. I'm not saying Kelly is one of them.
One more thing, Kelly's on the list, but Roche isn't... C'mon.

You're either joking (in which case well done)

or (and this is more likely) you haven't the slightest clue about the world/culture of cycling. You may in time but right now you're very far off

or (3rd option) you are Lance Armstrong

May 16, 2013
Visit site
at the Binda's time, the travel was more difficult.so ha didn't win a tour for this reason.
my opinion.Binda may be was stronger than Merckx and Coppi.
at once giro d'italia paid him for non partecipare in the race.becouse he would certainly won.

Eddy!!!

Merckx, no question. Hinault a distant second. I like the talks about Bartali: he won the TdF in '38 and '48. Had WW2 not occured, he could have set some monster records. But it belongs to the 'what ifs' category. In the real world, it's Merckx all the way.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Coolair2970 said:
What war are we talking. The Napoleon wars :D

He was one of the first cyclists to ride a train and I don't think there were trains in France during the Napoleon wars, so it should be the Franco-Prussian war.

If women are considered for this list, Jeannie Longo has to be on it. She only began doping in 2006, ever the contrarian, when everyone else had stopped.

Also, if "greatest" is interpreted as "most influential", I'd have to vote for Pat McQuaid or Thom Weisel. They both won some races, and have had far more influence on the direction the sport has taken than Merckx and those other pretenders.

A little bit like those polls that conclude Arnold Palmer was the greatest golfer. Palmer got everyone in America interested in golf. McQuaid got everyone in Europe disinterested in cycling.

Would probably be unfair, but in som way I would like to see Ocana in the poll. Since most people agree that the Canibal is the greates, Ocana could perhaps make the list, just for the way he fighted him.

Armstrong is of course missing.

Samson777 said:
Armstrong is of course missing.

I can't include Armstrong: He is a chief example, much more so than Indurain or others who have doped, of what cycling isn't, and shouldn't be. When I talk to people who are novices about cycling they always say 'what about the Armstrong fella?' That is all they know about cycling. Armstrong cheated!

Ruby United said:
I can't include Armstrong: He is a chief example, much more so than Indurain or others who have doped, of what cycling isn't, and shouldn't be. When I talk to people who are novices about cycling they always say 'what about the Armstrong fella?' That is all they know about cycling. Armstrong cheated!
I can understand your frustration. That sucks.

I am not writing this because I wanna argue that Armstrong Is a lovely guy. Everybody knows he did a lot of bad, but still he won the Tour 7 times... No matter how big a scumbag he is/was, that still means he have to be on the list..

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ruby United said:

Thought like others Armstrong should be on this list too at first. But you make a very good point. Cycling is much more than Armstrong. People need to realize that, and people should not associate the sport of cycling or all cyclists with Armstrong. Agree, he shouldn't be on the list.