• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Greatest cyclist of all time?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is the greatest cyclist of all time?

• Other (Specify Please)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zvezdarac

BANNED
May 27, 2013
Visit site
Voted other - Lance Armstrong.
Mostly because he has to be on the list.
I mean, Kelly is an option but Armstrong isn't... You must be kidding.

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Zvezdarac said:
Voted other - Lance Armstrong.
Mostly because he has to be on the list.
I mean, Kelly is an option but Armstrong isn't... You must be kidding.

You mean, Lemond is an option but Armstrong isn't... You must be kidding

Zvezdarac

BANNED
May 27, 2013
Visit site
Roderick said:
You mean, Lemond is an option but Armstrong isn't... You must be kidding
Lemond is O.K.
First American to win the Tour, and he did it multiple times... That's surely an achievement for the list.
But Kelly... Give me a break. His place is on some popularity list, not on the list of greats.

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Zvezdarac said:
Lemond is O.K.
First American to win the Tour, and he did it multiple times... That's surely an achievement for the list.
But Kelly... Give me a break. His place is on some popularity list, not on the list of greats.

Do you actually rate Lemond's palmares higher than Kelly's?

Zvezdarac

BANNED
May 27, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Winning the tour multiple times is an achievement. Being the first person from some geographic area to do it, not so much.
I don't agree. Being first from some geographic area means that the area had very modest tradition before the pioneer, and that the pioneer achieved extraordinary level in the walk of life setting the path for the coming generations.

Roderick said:
Do you actually rate Lemond's palmares higher than Kelly's?
Yes I do. Because of what I've wrote above and the fact that Kelly couldn't beat Lemond in a race that mattered to the both.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Even Louison Bobet has more reason to be on that list than Lemond. The list seems a bit biased to GT's anyway, guys like Rik Van Looy and Roger De Vlaeminck should be considered as well.

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Zvezdarac said:
Yes I do. Because of what I've wrote above and the fact that Kelly couldn't beat Lemond in a race that mattered to the both.

So because Lemond was better in one aspect of the sport (Kelly's worst aspect) he is a better rider? The only thing Lemond won was 3X TdF and 2X WC. Kelly won 9 classical monuments, vuelta, multiple green jerseys, multiple Tour de Suisse, Catalunya, Pais Vasco and 7 times paris-nice.

I think you overrate the TdF a little too much

Zvezdarac

BANNED
May 27, 2013
Visit site
Roderick said:
So because Lemond was better in one aspect of the sport (Kelly's worst aspect) he is a better rider? The only thing Lemond won was 3X TdF and 2X WC. Kelly won 9 classical monuments, vuelta, multiple green jerseys, multiple Tour de Suisse, Catalunya, Pais Vasco and 7 times paris-nice.

I think you overrate the TdF a little too much
No. I think you're underrating TDF, and overrating these week long races. All kinds of riders have won them. I'm not saying Kelly is one of them.
One more thing, Kelly's on the list, but Roche isn't... C'mon.

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Zvezdarac said:
No. I think you're underrating TDF, and overrating these week long races. All kinds of riders have won them. I'm not saying Kelly is one of them.
One more thing, Kelly's on the list, but Roche isn't... C'mon.

Succesful troll, congratz

Zvezdarac

BANNED
May 27, 2013
Visit site
Roderick said:
Succesful troll, congratz
So you're one of the posters who claims a post(er) to be a troll when you can't find arguments for your assertions... Fine. I'll make a note.
Congratz. You've stolen some of my time.

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Zvezdarac said:
So you're one of the posters who claims a post(er) to be a troll when you can't find arguments for your assertions... Fine. I'll make a note.
Congratz. You've stolen some of my time.

Do you really want a reaction on your statement that Roche should be on the list if Kelly is on the list? Really? Have you ever compared the two?

Zvezdarac

BANNED
May 27, 2013
Visit site
Roderick said:
Do you really want a reaction on your statement that Roche should be on the list if Kelly is on the list? Really? Have you ever compared the two?
The cycling's Tripple crown is something what should put a rider on a list like this.
You don't agree?

TRENDING THREADS