[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 144 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Chaves and Simon has momostly ridden the Giro/Vuelta and performed well there. The puncheurs, Albasini, Gerrans, Matthews, Impey etc., will always be outclassed by even better riders like Sagan, whereas in the lesser GTs, they could (in theory) shine much more. Add to that that they have no sprinter (atleast Ewan hasnt ridden the Tour) and that I feel they are a pretty conservative team.

Mar 10, 2009
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Chaves and Simon has momostly ridden the Giro/Vuelta and performed well there. The puncheurs, Albasini, Gerrans, Matthews, Impey etc., will always be outclassed by even better riders like Sagan, whereas in the lesser GTs, they could (in theory) shine much more. Add to that that they have no sprinter (atleast Ewan hasnt ridden the Tour) and that I feel they are a pretty conservative team.
Gerrans? Matthews? Ewan? The year is currently 2019!

Re: Re:

stefank said:
Valv.Piti said:
Gerrans? Matthews? Ewan? The year is currently 2019!
He is explaining why they have only won four stages in history... :Neutral:

Re: Re:

dirkprovin said:
42x16ss said:
yaco said:
Ewan should be able to win a stage at the TDF - You know that Mezgec will give him at least two gilt edge chances in which he is in prime position - And Ewan must finish this GC.
In a clean sprint? Certainly. But how often is a TDF sprint clean? Demare, Bouhanni, Cavendish, Greipel and Sagan will just bludgeon Ewan out of the way. Kittel will steal Ewan’s wheel in the blink of an eye and laugh the whole way to the finish.

Mezgec is a fine leadout man but not a scrapper in the vein of Docker or Kluge. This is what Ewan needs when the argey bargey is on.

As for finishing the race, he’s still only 23. Stage wins are more important than an anonymous ride to Paris.
As for finishing a GT; I take a middle line. I frankly doubt that he can do so at this point. A stage win would be a nice "selling point" and we need to acknowledge that he WILL be off contract at the end of 2018 .... and Orica really is no longer a viable option for a sprinter of his skills set. Another GT win plus a swag of WT points from some early season wins will be attractive to some teams especially those lower on the totem pole needing the points to WT licence retention. However, sooner or later he will need to show the capacity to finish a TDF at least if he is to be a "marquee sprinter" capable of delivering a win for his team on what is one of the most watched race days of the year (Champs Elysses).
It has been provin, Dirk. Such a shame he didn't get to race a single GT in 2018. 5 stages at the Giro and Tour, and the win on Champs.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts