• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
yaco said:
Dirk could be onto something with Durbridge - Not on the entry list for the Eneco Tour in which he could have a crack at GC,especially seeing there are two TT's in the race.
Very strange, it's his type of race. Having said that, Durbridge rode a full classics season along with the Giro and Tour. Is he racing at Worlds?

He rode the cobbled classics, TdS, TDF but not the Giro. Since then, he's ridden San Sebastian, Hamburg, Ouest & the 2 Laurentian races so, in fairness, he hasn't been shunted off riding in the minor leagues.

I certainly rate him as a rider and he could still have a future at OBE; the issue is at what level and will he be given the precedence at some races that he may be seeking ? They may see Edmondson as a potential "like for like"; maybe even an enhancement thus rendering Durbridge a "nice to have but not a peak priority" as against others who are up for renewal. I'd certainly have had him lower on the totem pole than Howson (already re-signed) and Impey.

Then again, I could be very very wrong ..... and would have zero objection in being proven so

42x16ss said:
yaco said:
Dirk could be onto something with Durbridge - Not on the entry list for the Eneco Tour in which he could have a crack at GC,especially seeing there are two TT's in the race.
Very strange, it's his type of race. Having said that, Durbridge rode a full classics season along with the Giro and Tour. Is he racing at Worlds?
You'd think he'd be in OBE's TTT at the Worlds.

claude cat said:
42x16ss said:
yaco said:

Given there are no longer WT points linked to the TTT for this year's Worlds, they may not necessarily send their A team. Rather they may simply field a team from those selected by their countries for Worlds.

dirkprovin said:
42x16ss said:
yaco said:

He rode the cobbled classics, TdS, TDF but not the Giro. Since then, he's ridden San Sebastian, Hamburg, Ouest & the 2 Laurentian races so, in fairness, he hasn't been shunted off riding in the minor leagues.

I certainly rate him as a rider and he could still have a future at OBE; the issue is at what level and will he be given the precedence at some races that he may be seeking ? They may see Edmondson as a potential "like for like"; maybe even an enhancement thus rendering Durbridge a "nice to have but not a peak priority" as against others who are up for renewal. I'd certainly have had him lower on the totem pole than Howson (already re-signed) and Impey.

Then again, I could be very very wrong ..... and would have zero objection in being proven so
He's a funny one - colossal potential when you look at his U23 career and first year as a pro but then he stagnated until this year. Orica would do well to re-sign him but I wouldn't blame Durbridge if he tried to go to one of the big northern classics squads. Hayman and Wilson seem to have mentored him well.

His time trialling has certainly dropped off though, after being almost invincible in U23 TTs and two consecutive national titles he hasn't done too much on that front which is a bit concerning.

dirkprovin said:
claude cat said:
42x16ss said:
yaco said:

Given there are no longer WT points linked to the TTT for this year's Worlds, they may not necessarily send their A team. Rather they may simply field a team from those selected by their countries for Worlds.

That's possible, but if that was the case, why would they bother? And in anycase, riders that riding the road-race in a serious capacity might not want to ride the TTT as well.
OBE prides itself in the TTT and they will send a team they think can win.

42x16ss said:
dirkprovin said:
42x16ss said:
yaco said:

He's a funny one - colossal potential when you look at his U23 career and first year as a pro but then he stagnated until this year. Orica would do well to re-sign him but I wouldn't blame Durbridge if he tried to go to one of the big northern classics squads. Hayman and Wilson seem to have mentored him well.

His time trialling has certainly dropped off though, after being almost invincible in U23 TTs and two consecutive national titles he hasn't done too much on that front which is a bit concerning.

He might not be doing the same amount of work that he used to do on the TT bike since he stopped racing the track and wanting to do well in the cobbled races, seeing as his career did stagnate he and OBE might have decided that he needed to change his training style which could explain the TT results. I've been told today (semi reliable source :) ) that he wants to re-sign but the sticking points are what Dirk has already said with regards to the races he wants leadership or protected status in and also money, I personally think he'll extend for another year but he has other options.

With regards to the "precedence" issues, to a point they COULD be met but probably not fully. With the extra 2 cobbled races joining the WT next season, it could well be that he has precedence or at least co-equal leadership for them. Hayman goes off contract at the end of 2017 and, going off age, he may well collect his superannuation so there is one potential "internal threat" most likely off the scene.

However, even if Hayman decides 2017 is "it" and takes a support role, Durbridge is still in the position of being 2nd (at best) maybe 3rd "seed" within the team for the bulk of the cobbled races. Of course, these things are always subject to review "on the road" but if he's wanting outright "surety of status", I'm not sure the team can guarantee to the extent he may desire.

The flipside to taking the Bora or Bahrain route is that the team(s) can guarantee him precedence but can they guarantee him the requisite support ??? Decisions ... decisions !!

I know Cort had a good ride at Roubaix this year for his first attempt, but he did struggle with the pace once Sky, Etixx and Hayman started to lift. Durbridge was still riding well, chasing on to the chase group twice after mechanicals. He's still second behind Hayman, not sure about third behind Keukeleire though. The big question mark is if Durbridge keeps improving.

Hayman will wear #1 at PR next year but really this year the race unfolded perfectly for him.
He still had to ride the race of his life and play the cards as they were dealt.
Next year hopefully GreenEdge can get one or two of Durbo, Maggie, or Jensie into the break and look for a similar situation to unfold for them whilst Hayman and the others try to make the selection from peloton.

Re:

42x16ss said:
I know Cort had a good ride at Roubaix this year for his first attempt, but he did struggle with the pace once Sky, Etixx and Hayman started to lift. Durbridge was still riding well, chasing on to the chase group twice after mechanicals. He's still second behind Hayman, not sure about third behind Keukeleire though. The big question mark is if Durbridge keeps improving.

With respect, I'll disagree. Whilst Hayman will be given precedence for P-R, this will most likely be his final season and he may take a more secondary role elsewhere.

Remember that there will be two additional cobbled races on next years calendar (Oomloop het Nuisblad & Dwars von Vlanderan). Keukeleire has a record of high finishes at Dwars so he will almost certainly be "the man" for that race. He actually has the best CV for the cobbled races outside of Hayman so he's likely to be either 1st or 2nd seed for OBE at whichever of these races he's entered in.

Promise aside, Durbridge has yet to lay down the results that DEMAND status. However, with the extra races & potentially Hayman reverting to support role, there could be the scope for him sharing some precedence with Keukeleire & Cort. Edmondson will probably be given a number of starts but this next season for him will be primarily acquiring the experience, race miles and knowledge of these races.

dirkprovin said:
42x16ss said:

With respect, I'll disagree. Whilst Hayman will be given precedence for P-R, this will most likely be his final season and he may take a more secondary role elsewhere.

Remember that there will be two additional cobbled races on next years calendar (Oomloop het Nuisblad & Dwars von Vlanderan). Keukeleire has a record of high finishes at Dwars so he will almost certainly be "the man" for that race. He actually has the best CV for the cobbled races outside of Hayman so he's likely to be either 1st or 2nd seed for OBE at whichever of these races he's entered in.

Promise aside, Durbridge has yet to lay down the results that DEMAND status. However, with the extra races & potentially Hayman reverting to support role, there could be the scope for him sharing some precedence with Keukeleire & Cort. Edmondson will probably be given a number of starts but this next season for him will be primarily acquiring the experience, race miles and knowledge of these races.
Sorry, I meant Roubaix :redface:

Yes, Keukeleire certainly has preference for the Flemish races over Durbridge.

Re:

yaco said:
Confirmed Durbridge not riding the Eneco Tour - The plot thickens.

Not sure his non selection for Eneco is particularly indicative of him being out the door. He's just come off two WT races in CAN & has raced other WT races post Tour (San Sebastian & Hamburg) so he's hardly been shunted off to the minor leagues.

Yes, he notionally could;ve been useful but neither would he be a "game changer". There is one short ITT & a TTT, for the latter they still have some fairly strong powerful guys (Hepburn, Edmondson, Matthews J-J). It would appear that their focus is primarily stages for this race and that's fair enough.

Think we can say Durbridge is done and dusted - Not riding any of the Italian one day races - Watched Schulz as closely as you can at the TOB an d he seemed to go OK - Pity OBE has given him no races in the mountains - He should be able to go PCT in 2017 - No Chavez for the Tour of Dubai which indicates he will be in OZ for part of the summer.

Re:

yaco said:
Think we can say Durbridge is done and dusted - Not riding any of the Italian one day races - Watched Schulz as closely as you can at the TOB an d he seemed to go OK - Pity OBE has given him no races in the mountains - He should be able to go PCT in 2017 - No Chavez for the Tour of Dubai which indicates he will be in OZ for part of the summer.

Until we have something concrete or even some statement from either party then all we are doing is engaging in conjecture re Durbridge. Matthews is "out the door" yet he's still being sent to races .... then again methinks both parties there are also engaging in "lets part on amicable terms, you never know whether we may do business again down the track !".

Retaining Schultz post stagiare has always been a question mark. Ditto for signing any of the 2016 AUS Avenir squad although they may have an agreement with at least one to sign them up during 2017.

Where did you see a Tour of Abu Dhabi start list ? Again, I'm not sure you're putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 463 with regards to Chaves & Australia. He may, indeed, visit AUS during the off-season as he has in the past but whilst OBE might like to milk that for some publicity; I'm sceptical that they would want to change what's clearly working for him re preparation and race schedules ..... much as I, too, would love to see the little fella out here creating some mayhem on AUS roads LOL

If its not "complementary" to his major season goals, then they shouldn't have him racing in AUS .... end of story. I think that OBE has sufficiently progressed that whilst it would still be nice to snag National titles and win TdU (and they will continue to approach the major AUS races seriously); it's not a disaster if they don't "hoover up" everything on offer. Nor will they compromise the seasons of their very top seeds by demanding they race out here if it will compromise their season.

Re: [Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro

I wouldn't say that Durbridge is leaving just because he's not currently down to start any more races this season, he's had 66 race days and 11,000 k's raced this season which started in the Australian summer, raced the cobbled classics and completed the Tour plus some races after that. It's been a big season already

TRENDING THREADS