• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Green jersey - Don't like the way it's won

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
joe_papp said:
I wish the Tour would reintroduce the Red jersey. I wish the Green jersey wasn't so influenced by intermediate sprints, and that it really did favor the best sprinters, as opposed to the most consistent finishers. But, it is what it is.

The thing I don't like about the intermediate sprints is that with only three places on offer, the are neutralized by almost every break - and then the breaks disrespect the intermediate sprints by not contesting them.

Maybe the solution is to either award points more deeply in the intermediate sprints, or start fining breakaway riders who don't sprint each other at each hot spot. It could be like mandatory voting. If you don't show up at the polling place and cast a ballot, you're fined. So, as an example, if David Millar, Roddy Hammersmythe, three little skinny Basque climbers and some big Belgian roll up on a hot spot sprint and don't battle it out, 2000 swiss franc fines to each of 'em!

crap, i'll sprint then. fear is a big motivator. i agree that the best finisher ought to be the Green Jersey winner,but the rules are what they are.
go Alejet.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
i like it when one of the dudes in here made an analogy of this green jersey race to that of football. i agree that there are plenty of ways to win the points, because that's how the rule was written.

if cav don't wanna miss out on the points race, then he does what he does best, being the first to the line. the same goes for thor, if he feels he can't beat cav to the line, then he does what he does best, utilizing his classic races specialty, being in the breakaway.

if it comes down to the blame game, then blame the rules, not the players.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I already had this feeling last year, but this year it's even worse. The green jersey is becoming a bit of a joke like the climbers jersey. Because Hushovd, even though admirable, really shouldn't be wearing that :(
It's meant for the most consistent sprinter, which is, this Tour, Ale-Jet Petacchi.

+ 1000 Well put, I completely agree.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
And although I previously never had something against him, I start to dislike Hushovd for the way he takes the green jersey.

Same here. I always thought he was one of the most sympathetic guys in the peloton but now he starts to slightly annoy me.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
What can be done against it? No more intermediate sprints for points in mountain stages! And don't give 35 points in cobble stages!
Any more ideas?

Well all in all what Hushovd does is good though because it animates the race. That's the reason why these intermediate sprints were built in, so that stages don't get too dull in the middle. I remember some stages this year where Laurent Fignon complained about how no one from the breakaway sprinted for points (but then again Fignon complains about most things). So when finally someone does it's great but indeed someone else deserves the jersey much more this year ... and that's Petacchi.

What can be done against it: DON'T LET HUSHOVD GO IN A BREAKAWAY! Surely Columbia and Lampre working together could prevent that from happening, don't know why they didn't

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
What can be done against it: DON'T LET HUSHOVD GO IN A BREAKAWAY! Surely Columbia and Lampre working together could prevent that from happening, don't know why they didn't

That's why I'm rooting for Thor and not for Alle or Cav, even though they are better sprinters this year. Thor simply cares and works hard for it, Alle and Cav are not interested enough ( + they got very strong teams to back them, Cervelo is way weaker this year). So go Thor and grab it! :D

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
What can be done against it? No more intermediate sprints for points in mountain stages! And don't give 35 points in cobble stages!
Any more ideas?

The sprinters shouldn't have to ride the non-sprint stages at all. Actually they should jump in to the race only for the last 15k's of the flat stages and they should forbid breakaways on those stages.
NO points for non-sprint stages!!!

This would make the green jersey-competition sooooo much more fun! :rolleyes:

The way the current green jersey system is then Hushovd is in the lead because he earned it obviously.
If you want green to be a sprinter jersey change the system.

The green jersey is for the most consistent rider and that's Hushovd right now. I understand the wish of some people for a sprinter jersey, but right now Hushovd is doing a fantastic job going all out on every stage to get as much points as possible. Class work if you ask me.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Kwibus said:
The way the current green jersey system is then Hushovd is in the lead because he earned it obviously.
If you want green to be a sprinter jersey change the system.

The green jersey is for the most consistent rider and that's Hushovd right now. I understand the wish of some people for a sprinter jersey, but right now Hushovd is doing a fantastic job going all out on every stage to get as much points as possible. Class work if you ask me.

Most consistent rider would be Alberto Contador. You know... He can climb, time trial, ride decent on flat stages, can descend, etc.

If the points classification was really for the most consistent rider then it would be called the combination classification and Contador would win it all the time. Don't they have something like that in the Vuelta?

The Vuelta does have a combination classification, yes.

The Vuelta's points jersey, like the Giro's, awards the same number of points for all stages, making it a more accurate measure of a 'consistency jersey'. Cadel Evans won it at this year's Giro, for example, while Valverde was 2nd to Greipel last year.

The Combinada jersey, unlike the points system of the Giro's short-lived combined classification in 2006 (won by Savoldelli) or the present Giro "Combativity award" (which gives points for stage finishes, intermediate sprints and mountains), simply added up your positions in the three other jersey-paying competitions, and whoever had the lowest score won.

Winners of the Vuelta vs. winners of the Combinada:

2009: Alejandro Valverde, Alejandro Valverde
2008: Alberto Contador, Alberto Contador
2007: Denis Menchov, Denis Menchov
2006: Alexander Vinokourov, Alexander Vinokourov
2005: Denis Menchov, Denis Menchov
2004: Roberto Heras, Roberto Heras
2003: Roberto Heras, Alejandro Valverde
2002: Aitor González, Roberto Heras

As you can see, generally the winner of the GC wins the combinada.

El Pistolero said:
Most consistent rider would be Alberto Contador. You know... He can climb, time trial, ride decent on flat stages, can descend, etc.

If the points classification was really for the most consistent rider then it would be called the combination classification and Contador would win it all the time. Don't they have something like that in the Vuelta?

Allright maybe I should've explained it a little bit clearer. Most consistent in the top20 at the end of the stages. Apparently that's Hushovd and not Contador......