• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Greg Lemon doped and Lance Armstrong (Ture red white and Blue Texas Longhorns) CLEAN!

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
-Lemon raced during a time with ZERO drug testing! EPO/Blood doping was rampent throughout the 1970s-1980s.

-Lemon back-pedaled in 1991 because once everybody else started training harder and more efficiently with Sports trainers like Dr. Ferrari they kicked Lemon's a$$ who used epo to cheat his way to his Tour wins.

-Lemon has grown FAT, OLD, and ugly. Its time that we drop this jelous lunatic who still fanatsizes about his uncle! LOL :)

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
-Lemon raced during a time with ZERO drug testing! EPO/Blood doping was rampent throughout the 1970s-1980s.

-Lemon back-pedaled in 1991 because once everybody else started training harder and more efficiently with Sports trainers like Dr. Ferrari they kicked Lemon's a$$ who used epo to cheat his way to his Tour wins.

You are clearly trolling but perhaps you can back up your post?

There is zero evidence of Grand Tour riders using blood doping in the 70's and 80's. Riders in the late 80's were tested more then riders now as they raced much more. Lemond was far advanced on the training side. He was one of the first to use an SRM. His coach, Adri Van Diemen, developed much of the HR/power based training that is still used today by Miller, VDV.

What would Ferrari know about training schedules? He is a hematologist not a coach. His specialty is blood.

Eva Maria said:
You are clearly trolling but perhaps you can back up your post?

There is zero evidence of Grand Tour riders using blood doping in the 70's and 80's. Riders in the late 80's were tested more then riders now as they raced much more. Lemond was far advanced on the training side. He was one of the first to use an SRM. His coach, Adri Van Diemen, developed much of the HR/power based training that is still used today by Miller, VDV.

What would Ferrari know about training schedules? He is a hematologist not a coach. His specialty is blood.

Hey Eva, I admire your posts I must say.

I edited my orginal comment for two reasons: Firstly I thought you were just frustrated with some forum members, but your posts on this thread are absolutely mental, totally off the wall.
Secondly, your reference to Lemond and his Uncle, as Maserati points out, is a disgrace...and I hope you get some kind of reprimand from the mods.
P.S. Don't PM me ever again trying to give rationale for your ramblings. Telling me that they all dope because of the money...thanks for the philosophy lesson.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Cant see where you're goingwith this one BB. There certainly was testing in the 80s but it was not as effective as it is now. I first heard of blood doping after it was implimented by the 84 US olympic team. At the time it was not illegal in the eyes of cycling because it did not involve a drug. Cant remember how soon after that it became a no no.
I agree that Lemond has become fat, bitter and twisted but as a cyclist he was phenominal. I was already racing in Europe when he burst onto the scene and he made an instant impression. No grovelling down the edge of the road in the side winds with his teeth sunk into the headstem like me.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I think BigB might be looking for a 'donation' ........ This from the 'Reasons for Lemonds decline' thread....

Eva Maria said:
One of Armstrong's many threats to Greg was "I will find 10 people who said you took EPO"

Armstrong then hired a Political PR firm, Public Strategies, to dig up dirt and spread disinformation on Lemond. They found nothing. Not one former teammate, friend, or team staff said that Lemond used EPO.

Your friend can make some good money by telling his "story". Tell him to go here

http://www.pstrategies.com call 512.474.8848 ask for Mark.

Unless of course he is lying.

....But your final comment on Lemond is in poor taste.

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
BigBoat said:

I've got no comment on Armstrong/Lemond, but dude there's this radical new concept called research you might want to check out. Blood doping, sure, it's been going on forever - at least back to the Finnish runners in the late 1960's.

But EPO wasn't out until 1989, so its use was most certainly not rampant during the 1970's-1980's.

egtalbot said:
I've got no comment on Armstrong/Lemond, but dude there's this radical new concept called research you might want to check out. Blood doping, sure, it's been going on forever - at least back to the Finnish runners in the late 1960's.

But EPO wasn't out until 1989, so its use was most certainly not rampant during the 1970's-1980's.
He is just being sarcastic. pay no attention. he actually likes Lemond.

beroepsrenner said:
Cant see where you're goingwith this one BB. There certainly was testing in the 80s but it was not as effective as it is now. I first heard of blood doping after it was implimented by the 84 US olympic team. At the time it was not illegal in the eyes of cycling because it did not involve a drug. Cant remember how soon after that it became a no no.
I agree that Lemond has become fat, bitter and twisted but as a cyclist he was phenominal. I was already racing in Europe when he burst onto the scene and he made an instant impression. No grovelling down the edge of the road in the side winds with his teeth sunk into the headstem like me.
He is just being sarcastic.

I am happy that we get more ex-riders in this forum. I know several of them here in this forum. I love to hear from them just to get to know some inside information. As for me, I never raced. I am a consulting engineer. But I ride my bike a lot. I used to dream of being a cyclist but my destiny of course was different.
Keep posting.
Thanks.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
beroepsrenner said:

Beroepsrenner, as an ex-professional, can you tell me whether or not you would know if one of your team mates was doping? For instance, would the rest of the Gerolsteiner team (riders and/or managers) have known that Kohl and Schumacher were doping (EPO and blood transfusions), or is it really that easy to do without your team mates knowing?

This is not the right thread, but I read a post of yours in another thread about trying to correct some of the misconceptions some of us have regarding the prevalence of doping. I think I know the reasons why cyclists dope, but am really trying to understand how possible it is for an individual to dope without the knowledge of his team or team mates.

beroepsrenner said:
the u.s. olympic coach, eddie b., showed those guys how to "blood boost" as they
called it then. it led to medals for several riders on that team. it was banned later,
after people were boasting about how it worked for them. remember the 'subaru/montgomery" squad? that was lances first big team. eddie b. was the
director of that team.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Lemond is a hero. Anyone who remembers his attacking riding style through out the 1980s would know big boat just stirrs it up.

After winning the Tour de France in 1989 and again in 1990, Greg entered the 1991 season in the best form of his life. Early power in jan and feb testing illustrated this was to be another victorious year with proformance up 5%.
It was not to be. In the best shape of his life all that he could muster was 7th. Riders that he could ride off his wheel were leaving him for dead. This was a sad and common experience for many clean riders as they entered the decade of EPO. A decade where champions where defeated and doctors were the most crucial team member.
Doping has cast a heavy shadow over our sport for over 50 years. Generations have been affected- Lemond, like us wants just to protect the next generation from the plague continuing.
He is out spoken and this coupled with his run in with Lance Armstrong have turned a few off him. But witness Lemond, a man with a genuine love for the sport. A biker who knows what is (and has) going on in the inner circle of the sport and has proposed functional methods to clamp down on some of the cheats destroying cycling. He seems frustrated with the lack of openness and willingness to listen to those who make the critical decisions. His proposals on Vo2 level testing have been supported by some of the UCI’s own doctors as a more efficient method to flush out the dopers. Greg has long voiced the opinion that it is the system, not the tempted riders that need shook up. Removing the infrastructure allowing riders to obtain and implement performance-enhancing drugs

Regardless of your personal view on the man, he is a legend, his palmers and the memories he gives to a generation are sensational and he is working to protect the sport for the future. Keep it up

Eva, Beroepsenner, Truth, etc - Ignore this thread. Big Boat came here with some wild claims early on. He got challenged by some of us, then started getting some respect for posting links and going into more detail backing up some of his claims, several of which I agree with. Now, I think here he's gone off the deep end, or he's on a really wild fishing expedition.

If we want to discuss historical blood packing (or boosting) a separate thread for a serious discussion would be a good start. Not here IMO.

Elapid - try to PM the guy first. Makes more sense than posting it here in the open me thinks.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
beroepsrenner said:
There certainly was testing in the 80s but it was not as effective as it is now. I first heard of blood doping after it was implimented by the 84 US olympic team. At the time it was not illegal in the eyes of cycling because it did not involve a drug.
I agree that Lemond has become fat, bitter and twisted .
Exactly! What a jack a$$! Keep up the good posts!

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
the truth. said:
His proposals on Vo2 level testing have been supported by some of the UCI’s own doctors as a more efficient method to flush out the dopers.

V02 max doesnt mean a damn thing out on the road! Riders with a 55 V02 have won big PRO races. I've seen it first hand! Believe me bro, do you know who I am?! My name is Jonathon Vaughters and I manage and own the Garmin Team. The TDF is not won in the lab, its won by busting your a$$ 6 hours a day and taking supplements like 6 hour energy. My athlestes eat a rice diet, with a little bit of whee protein. They train scientifically with a doctor, and medical support staff trained to handle the vigors of a brutal training scehdule.

I have seen FIRST HAND the mental strength, WILLPOWER, and determination a clean rider can achieve cleanly, spotlessly.

-BikePure® bro, Livestrong® !

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Eva, Beroepsenner, Truth, etc - Ignore this thread. Big Boat came here with some wild claims early on. He got challenged by some of us, then started getting some respect for posting links and going into more detail backing up some of his claims, several of which I agree with. Now, I think here he's gone off the deep end, or he's on a really wild fishing expedition.

If we want to discuss historical blood packing (or boosting) a separate thread for a serious discussion would be a good start. Not here IMO.

Elapid - try to PM the guy first. Makes more sense than posting it here in the open me thinks.

Having read various threads on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that Big Boat is just a complete idiot. He only ever makes wild assertions which would be libellous if made without the cloak of anonymity. Without having read all of his posts I can say that I have never seen him present a fact with any statement.

So if Big Boat claims to have so much knowledge about doping and is adamant that every pro-rider dopes, why doesn't he reveal something about his background, the experience he has with doping, that lends credibility to his accusations and assertions. I'm happy for him to maintain his anonymity, but unless he provides facts then it's about time he stopped making such inflamatory and ridiculous statements without supporting facts.

Otherwise let's just treat him like the fool he appears to be.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
V02 max doesnt mean a damn thing out on the road! Riders with a 55 V02 have won big PRO races. I've seen it first hand! Believe me bro, do you know who I am?! My name is Jonathon Vaughters and I manage and own the Garmin Team. The TDF is not won in the lab, its won by busting your a$$ 6 hours a day and taking supplements like 6 hour energy. My athlestes eat a rice diet, with a little bit of whee protein. They train scientifically with a doctor, and medical support staff trained to handle the vigors of a brutal training scehdule.

I have seen FIRST HAND the mental strength, WILLPOWER, and determination a clean rider can achieve cleanly, spotlessly.

-BikePure® bro, Livestrong® !

Well I admit I just missed that last post by Big Boat. I guess he now has to prove to us that he's Jonathon Vaughters. Hard to believe given that he spends so much time posting on this forum, especially during the Tour de France, and even during actual stages, when I would have thought that Jonathon Vaughters had a bit more to do than post inane statements on a cycling Forum, let alone be able to drive the Team car at the same time!

BigChain said:
Well I admit I just missed that last post by Big Boat. I guess he now has to prove to us that he's Jonathon Vaughters. Hard to believe given that he spends so much time posting on this forum, especially during the Tour de France, and even during actual stages, when I would have thought that Jonathon Vaughters had a bit more to do than post inane statements on a cycling Forum, let alone be able to drive the Team car at the same time!
That's one of his virtues. He changes personalities from time to time.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Whoa! Major, major uncool to bring BikePure into this. Especially with Myles and Andy not around these days and busy elsewhere. And considering your past comments on Lance, to use them in the same sentence equated with Livestrong. Major uncool.

Yep

I think BigBoat has missed a coulple of rounds of his own medication or spent too much time in the sun this week

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
Yep

I think BigBoat has missed a coulple of rounds of his own medication or spent too much time in the sun this week

......yes, I think he has been spending to much time in the lab.
BB your trolling fluctuations are a cause for suspicion!

TRENDING THREADS