• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Greg Van Avermaet

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
For him isn't surpring, if he wants he can stay with a top 15/20 GC riders gruop.
Many tends to underrate his climbing, maybe because he is considered primarily a cobbles rider.
 
Re:

Lexman said:
not after Strade Bianche
At this point, he isn't in as good shape as in 2017. Maybe that was his peak, but he wasn't that bad in Omloop either really. He was actually pretty good.

I will wait until E-3 to really gauge his shape since the stages in T-A really aren't suited to him and MSR is too much of an explosive race in the end for GVA. My bet is he will be slightly weaker than in 2017 which is still enough to win Flanders and Roubaix
 
He proved last year that he is not a nearly man. I think he is focusing more on winning Ronde, Roubaix and Amstel instead of the smaller races.

Regrading T-A, the Trevi mur is too hard but Stage 5 suits him well.

 
Yeah its too soon to tell. The circumstances in Omloop and Strade were too different. Yet i notice a dissapointment in his post-race statements (Omloop, Strade and KBK). I think he might have some doubts about his team or his shape (in Oman both shape and team were terrific though)
 
There are many riders currently not in their 2017 shape at this period. A lot has to do with the riders preparing in Oman/Dubai/Abu Dhabi coming to cold europe. A big portion of them have failed to adept. It takes time. A lot of riders are ill now as well.
 
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
There are many riders currently not in their 2017 shape at this period. A lot has to do with the riders preparing in Oman/Dubai/Abu Dhabi coming to cold europe. A big portion of them have failed to adept. It takes time. A lot of riders are ill now as well.
I think 2017 was exceptional in terms of how great 4-5 of the classic riders where: Greg, Gilbert, Kwito, Valverde and then of course Sagan who didnt have his best year, yet still was strong. I don't think that is happening again in the near future: we witnessed some truly special performances and the ceiling of those guys were super high. I think you can be a little lesser this year and still win, at least I don't see Greg and Gil getting better or staying at the exactly same and high level.
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
There are many riders currently not in their 2017 shape at this period. A lot has to do with the riders preparing in Oman/Dubai/Abu Dhabi coming to cold europe. A big portion of them have failed to adept. It takes time. A lot of riders are ill now as well.
I think 2017 was exceptional in terms of how great 4-5 of the classic riders where: Greg, Gilbert, Kwito, Valverde and then of course Sagan who didnt have his best year, yet still was strong. I don't think that is happening again in the near future: we witnessed some truly special performances and the ceiling of those guys were super high. I think you can be a little lesser this year and still win, at least I don't see Greg and Gil getting better or staying at the exactly same and high level.
Although i think its still a wee bit early to make these predictions i must admit you can feel its gonna be a quite different classics campaign.
2017 was exceptional, one of the most crazy first halves of a season i've experienced.
GVA didnt look too bad today in Tirreno imo being up there with alot of GC guys. Most riders of his "class" got dropped
 
Re: Re:

Emotional Cobble Guy said:
Valv.Piti said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
There are many riders currently not in their 2017 shape at this period. A lot has to do with the riders preparing in Oman/Dubai/Abu Dhabi coming to cold europe. A big portion of them have failed to adept. It takes time. A lot of riders are ill now as well.
I think 2017 was exceptional in terms of how great 4-5 of the classic riders where: Greg, Gilbert, Kwito, Valverde and then of course Sagan who didnt have his best year, yet still was strong. I don't think that is happening again in the near future: we witnessed some truly special performances and the ceiling of those guys were super high. I think you can be a little lesser this year and still win, at least I don't see Greg and Gil getting better or staying at the exactly same and high level.
Although i think its still a wee bit early to make these predictions i must admit you can feel its gonna be a quite different classics campaign.
2017 was exceptional, one of the most crazy first halves of a season i've experienced.
GVA didnt look too bad today in Tirreno imo being up there with alot of GC guys. Most riders of his "class" got dropped
Yup, the racing was for the most part exceptional and the riders had an exceptional high level, too. Overall without a doubt the best classics campaign I have followed, primarily talking about the cobbles, but I haven't followed too many that closely either.

Yeah, GVA looked very good. He is my favourite for stage 5.
 
Aug 6, 2015
2,963
0
0
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hmm. While he was there again this day. He never seemed super. He's in decent form, but nothing like last year. I wonder if he just peaked right at RVV/PR this year, or undercooked it a little...
this isn't his race at all. he was good enough on harelbeke.
 
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hmm. While he was there again this day. He never seemed super. He's in decent form, but nothing like last year. I wonder if he just peaked right at RVV/PR this year, or undercooked it a little...
It seems like it. He doesn't really have the tools to force much if he's not 100%.
 
Jul 13, 2016
792
0
0
His only chance to save the spring season is if other riders have bad luck again in Roubaix. Don't think he's strong enough to win Flanders this year.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts