• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Haimar Zubeldia: The Anonymous One

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
From a cynical perspective it kinda makes sense. He's not getting younger, and realistically there would be a year he doesn't ride.
That's just the nature of the sport; teams can only bring nine guys (from next year eight), so there are some who're gonna be left out.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

carton said:
I remember him saying at some point that he really wanted to help Contador win the thing.
Every bad thing has its bright side. In this case it's fact that he won't be disappointed (by Contador not winning it).

Heartbroken for the legend.
Maybe, unlike Horner, and unlike Valverde, Haimar is one of those athletes who starts to decline at more normal age, but in an extremely slow rate you can't really tell, but he gets there eventually, to the point that he's no longer good enough for what he was good at for so long.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I just had a look at his stats and he was 24th in the Tour last year and followed it up with 19th in the Vuelta. Has he really gotten that much worse since then? I guess an extra year can't help.