• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hall of Shame in Doping | Inaugural Edition

Re: Re:

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
Koronin said:
Chris Froome
Floyd Landis
Lance Armstrong
Landis +1

For the individual inductees to the Hall, it depends on the criteria for nomination. I suppose there should be multiple categories, like for many hall-of-fame museums or awards ceremonies...
  • Historical: So many of the legends of the Hall really really should be chosen from the classic era, which we tend to overlook completely. Such as Robic, his cheating and nasty personality made him one of the most hated
    Doping Doctors: Ferrari, Cecchini, Saiz, Fuentes, etc.
    Most Ridiculous Excuses: Rumsas, Hamilton, Rasmussen, etc.
    Directeurs Sportifs: Bruyneel, Riis, etc. Many who were both doped riders and dope lords of team management... that's also a category unto itself
    Broadcasters and Media: Kirby...

Most ridiculous Exceses needs it own win. Like the NFL and NHL Halls have different wings for different things this definitely gets it own because cycling doping excuses are the best part of a positive doping test.

LOL, this is really getting good. Love it.

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
For the individual inductees to the Hall, it depends on the criteria for nomination. I suppose there should be multiple categories, like for many hall-of-fame museums or awards ceremonies...

• Historical: So many of the legends of the Hall really should be chosen from the classic era, which we tend to overlook completely. Such as Robic, his cheating and nasty personality made him one of the most hated

Most Ridiculous Excuses: Rumsas, Hamilton, Vino, Rasmussen, JTL, Impey, etc.

Directeurs Sportifs: Bruyneel, Riis, etc. Many who were both doped riders and dope lords of team management... that's also a category unto itself. Just as the Baseball HOF elects some who weren’t good enough as players or managers, but were pretty good at both, the Cycling HOS would make allowances for riders who weren’t up there with the greats in doping, but added to their reps as DS.

This point is actually immortalized in the last stanza of that famous Spanish song, Take CERA, CERA:

Now I have riders of my own
    They ask their DS, what will I be?
    Will I win classics? Even GTs?
    Here’s what I say to them:

Take CERA, CERA
    Whatever you want, you’ll win
    Your future now begins
    Take CERA, CERA
    And you’ll win, you’ll win

Broadcasters and Media: Liggett, Walsh, Kirby...

Koronin said:
Most ridiculous Excuses needs it own wing. Like the NFL and NHL Halls have different wings for different things this definitely gets it own because cycling doping excuses are the best part of a positive doping test.

Yes, yes, yes.

The vanishing twin.
The contaminating blood on the road.
JTL and his binge drinking.

But the all-time winner is still that AZ basketball player who tested positive twice, and said the second positive was a result of the first positive persisting in his body—though it was months later, and he had tested negative in between. And he got away with it.

It would be like Froome exceeding the salbutamol limit again in the Giro, and claiming it was salbutamol from the Vuelta that never got excreted, that it suddenly came out during the Giro. So cycling really is better than the NCAA, count your blessings folks, it could be worse.

Merckx index said:
LOL, this is really getting good. Love it.

ClassicomanoLuigi said:

• Historical: So many of the legends of the Hall really should be chosen from the classic era, which we tend to overlook completely. Such as Robic, his cheating and nasty personality made him one of the most hated

Most Ridiculous Excuses: Rumsas, Hamilton, Vino, Rasmussen, JTL, Impey, etc.

Directeurs Sportifs: Bruyneel, Riis, etc. Many who were both doped riders and dope lords of team management... that's also a category unto itself. Just as the Baseball HOF elects some who weren’t good enough as players or managers, but were pretty good at both, the Cycling HOS would make allowances for riders who weren’t up there with the greats in doping, but added to their reps as DS.

This point is actually immortalized in the last stanza of that famous Spanish song, Take CERA, CERA:

Now I have riders of my own
    They ask their DS, what will I be?
    Will I win classics? Even GTs?
    Here’s what I say to them:

Take CERA, CERA
    Whatever you want, you’ll win
    Your future now begins
    Take CERA, CERA
    And you’ll win, you’ll win

Broadcasters and Media: Liggett, Walsh, Kirby...

Koronin said:
Most ridiculous Excuses needs it own wing. Like the NFL and NHL Halls have different wings for different things this definitely gets it own because cycling doping excuses are the best part of a positive doping test.

Yes, yes, yes.

The vanishing twin.
The contaminating blood on the road.
JTL and his binge drinking.

But the all-time winner is still that AZ basketball player who tested positive twice, and said the second positive was a result of the first positive persisting in his body—though it was months later, and he had tested negative in between. And he got away with it.

It would be like Froome exceeding the salbutamol limit again in the Giro, and claiming it was salbutamol from the Vuelta that never got excreted, that it suddenly came out during the Giro. So cycling really is better than the NCAA, count your blessings folks, it could be worse.

LOL, yeah that one has to be at least near the top of the list.

My nomination is: They tampered with my DNA. (Valverde's reason for requesting a retest of his DNA/blood bag).

Floyd is up there for the brazen act. Just like Froome for burning over the top of Domoulin. And then rubbing it in his face at the end. And then expecting Tom to shake his hand after being sh@t upon like *that *

Floyd Froome

benzwire said:
Pantani Attacks said:

Pantani :D

Everyone knew Pantani was pissing rocket fuel, so he wouldn't be my first pick for hall of shame...same way I wouldn't have Lance my first pick either.

LeMond, Indurain, Roche, Hinault. They should all be top picks, LeMond #1 with his conflicting views and opinions down the years. As well as the fact so many actually believe he was clean. Diarrhoea leg FTW eh?

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
Koronin said:
Chris Froome
Floyd Landis
Lance Armstrong
Landis +1

• Historical: So many of the legends of the Hall really really should be chosen from the classic era, which we tend to overlook completely. Such as Robic, his cheating and nasty personality made him one of the most hated
    Directeurs Sportifs: Bruyneel, Riis, etc. Many who were both doped riders and dope lords of team management... that's also a category unto itself

Could you tell me more about him; I am from Slovenia havent heard anything about the cheating

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
Koronin said:
Chris Froome
Floyd Landis
Lance Armstrong
Landis +1

Ahem. Sorry to interrupt, but did I hear someone bash Carlton Kirby?
I'm starting to think he is the go-to guy for media bashing by default. Phil Liggett is by far the winner in the media category.
No one even comes close.
Ivan Basso is my nomination for the ridiculous excuse award. I'm trying to find footage of a press conference in which I'm almost certain he claimed the epo was for his dog.

I'd like to nominate every journalist and commentator who has ever tried to convince the world of a doper's cleanliness, especially if they used the "he's not entertaining to watch because you need doping to attack" argument

I don't see that much shame in doping in itself

TRENDING THREADS