• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Handlebar failures on Trek

May 14, 2021
Visit site
Anybody else had a handlebar failure with Trek bikes. I have a brand new Trek Emonda SLR 7. Had done less than 1000km and hit some rough road at 35km per hour. Handlebar snapped very similar to what we saw on Canyon - broke at the place where the cables enter the handlebar.
Trek are insisting that it must be crash damage and quoting a small scratch on the saddle as evidence of a crash. The bike did not crash and has not been dropped. Worried that this is a serious safety issue that is being passed off on users. Do I want to pay 700 Swiss francs for a replacement (and wait another four months) when I know this one was faulty.
If you have had faulty carbon on a Trek bike, or indeed any other failure that they refused to cover under warranty please let me know

Reactions: nomibiker35
May 14, 2021
Visit site
No it broke underneath where the cables enter the handlebar essentially where the least carbon is. The first thing I did was check to see if it was a set up error by the dealer but interestingly they are not being looked at. If I could figure out how to attach a photo I would show you. This isn’t a torque issue sadly.

Reactions: PEGAZ-HECTOR
Sep 7, 2021
Visit site
I just notice mine cracked too.. lucky it was just partial so no crash.. but seems to be in a similar position.. on the top flat area...I'm also a pretty light rider and not that strong.. so surprise this would even happen for just normal use... Only have had the bike for 3 months or so.. I'm taking it to the store today.

Reactions: nomibiker35
May 14, 2021
Visit site
I just notice mine cracked too.. lucky it was just partial so no crash.. but seems to be in a similar position.. on the top flat area...I'm also a pretty light rider and not that strong.. so surprise this would even happen for just normal use... Only have had the bike for 3 months or so.. I'm taking it to the store today.
Let me know how it goes as they said mine has to be ‘crash damage’ and took the shop saying it was not and honoring the warranty to get it covered- 4 months later and still waiting for it to arrive. But I can buy a brand new Emonda with one on in the shop today! Hope the customer service is better for you,.

Sep 7, 2021
Visit site
When i took it they did check and asked me if it maybe was due to a crash.. in my case unlike you my bar was broken but it didn't cause me to fall so bike is spotless... So they believe me when i said that i had not crashed (i felt they didn't initially until they checked in detail). So they will be replacing the bar for me... Not sure how long it will take, but overall they have been quite helpful... (I bought it at a trek store) . Sorry to hear it wasn't the case for you.. but i bet if i had scratches on it even from a different event my store probably would have been similar to yours.

I'm assuming I will be using my winter bike for a few days/weeks.

M.

Oct 13, 2021
Visit site
Anybody else had a handlebar failure with Trek bikes. I have a brand new Trek Emonda SLR 7. Had done less than 1000km and hit some rough road at 35km per hour. Handlebar snapped very similar to what we saw on Canyon - broke at the place where the cables enter the handlebar.
Trek are insisting that it must be crash damage and quoting a small scratch on the saddle as evidence of a crash. The bike did not crash and has not been dropped. Worried that this is a serious safety issue that is being passed off on users. Do I want to pay 700 Swiss francs for a replacement (and wait another four months) when I know this one was faulty.
If you have had faulty carbon on a Trek bike, or indeed any other failure that they refused to cover under warranty please let me know

David, I have experienced the same problem with you on my Trek Emonda SLR7

Feb 7, 2022
Visit site
Hi David,
I'm currently having the exact same issue with Trek on my Emonda SLR 9. The bars were installed in August last year and I've ridden around 5000km. My handle bars have cracked significantly, Trek have agreed to replace under warranty but have used the term replace under 'goodwill' as they believe the crack was caused by a crash/incident. The crack, fortunately was actually found as part of a service as I have a big event coming up. Needless to say although they have agreed to replace I'm furious as they are still suggesting I've had an accident, which I have not, and are claiming they have not had this issue with these bars.
Mine will be replaced under warranty but it does not soften the blow that they are essentially calling me a liar and are unwilling to properly investigate what could be a potential serious fault for someone else in the future.
I hope you managed to source new bars. Replacement bars for mine will not be available until August 2022 which means I've had to go with a standard bar and stem setup for now.
Kind Regards
Julie-Anne (Australia)

May 14, 2021
Visit site
I eventually got them replaced as the shop covered the warranty even though Trek were not comfortable. They showed the picture of the break and as the crack was not clean said the other crack at minty degrees was evidence of a crash. How you are supposed to get the bike 5 km home without the crack spreading is beyond me. I am just glad that there are others having the same issue si I know I am not mad. Now I want people to know this is here so if they experience the same issue they can point out it is not impossible as Trek claimed but simply rare. Which is not the same thing.

May 30, 2022
Visit site
had the same exact failure last week at the entry point of the hydraulic hoses, waiting on lbs to give me news from trek, but the failure caused a big crash which sent some teammates and myself to the er
with what you guys said, i'm anxious to know what Trek will say about it

Jun 27, 2022
Visit site

On June 24, 2022 Trek finally issued a "Stop riding Emonda's notice" and a recall of all the Bontrager Aelous RSL handle bars. My new Emonda SLR 7 etap was delivered to me on May 18, 2022. With just under 1000 miles on it, i have not yet had any handle bar issues but a riding buddy of mine took delivery of his on the 22nd of June and had an immediate break of his bars. Trek has indicated they will be sending out stop gap stems and bars and then will send along proper bars when available. Pretty frustrating with a brand new bike and no idea of timing of any of the repairs.

Yph

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
hello
i write from France
in september 2021, my handlebar broke similarly as reported in yours posts. My trek Émonda SLR 7 was delivered to me in june 2021 and the incident occurred after 3 months and 3000 km.
Trek replaced me the handlebar under warranty after a claim + a commercial gesture.
I confirm a worldwide recall on trek slr handlebar, my trek retailer just noticed me about a n exchange to come!!!

Jun 27, 2022
Visit site
I have some inquiries if it’s not too much trouble:(:(, guide me about this. These inquiries are displayed underneath here:):):

https://forum.cyclingnews.com/threads/biggest-annoyances.37929/

Sitting tight for most appropriate response straightaway. I’m excessively confounded here:eek::eek:
i spoke to customer service at Trek way back in June and they have turned it over to the CPSC. Trek indicated that they will be shipping out carbon stems and bars once the CPSC approves it. Then, they will send out new integrated bar/stem combos. given that my outdoor season is maybe 5 months ling, this really sucks. Fortunately, my local dealer is a rock star and installed an aluminum stem/bar so i can keep riding. if that hadn't happened, i would have been returning my $10k bike. because Trek went to the CPSC, they Trek can't even ship out the bars and stems until they get approval. seems they have tried to go to light weight and now we are paying. Very frustrating to say the least.

May 14, 2021
Visit site
So finally after arguing for 5 months that my handlebars cannot just break and that despite no damage elsewhere on the bike it must have been a crash. My shop covered warranty because Teek would not. And after finally getting a replacement I now need to take it back because it endangers me. I know because the first one snapped at 35km/h but they said it couldn’t break! Unlike Canyon who issued an immediate recall Trek chose to keep selling a part that put lives at risk. I really hope they don’t think that a £100 voucher for parts is the best way to deal with this. I spent thousands of pounds on a bike that put me in serious risk and through a crash that I wash very lucky to walk away unharmed from and they wouldn’t even admit they had a potential problem despite me telling them it was unsafe.

Sep 18, 2022
Visit site
So finally, after arguing for 5 months that my handlebars cannot just break, and that despite no damage elsewhere on the bike, it must have been a crash. My shop covered, warranty because, Teek would not. And after finally getting a, replacement I now need, to take it back because, it endangers me. I know because the, first one snapped at, 35km/h but they said, it couldn’t break! Unlike Canyon, who issued an immediate recall, Trek chose to keep selling a part, that put lives at risk. I really hope, they don’t think that a £100 voucher, for parts is the best way to deal with this. I spent thousands of pounds on a bike, that put me in serious risk and through a crash, that I wash very lucky to walk away, unharmed from and they wouldn’t even admit, they had a potential problem, despite me telling them it was unsafe.
It has been a frustrating period but also nice to see that it was covered with warranty.

TRENDING THREADS