• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Harcore cycling - road rash? Hold my beer!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
RedheadDane said:
I may be naive, but I trust that nobody are being pressured to ride if they really can't continue.
Otoh, I think quite a few riders have to literally be told to stop sometimes.
I think that’s incredibly naive. You just need to watch a few races to see that riders are constantly encouraged to get back on and get riding.

Encouraged, yes. Not forced. Can't recall ever seeing a rider being forcibly put on the bike, riders being forcibly taken off the bike otoh...

Example 1: Rider crashes and hurts his arm, but there's nothing obviously broken. DS reminds rider that even though it hurts like hell, if it turns out to not be as bad as it feels right now, he'll probably regret it for a long time. However, ultimately the decision is up to the rider.
Porte was probably encouraged to continue, yet declined.
Craddock is continuing on his own accord.

Example 2: Rider crashes, clearly concussed, yet is fully emerged in the "must continue" mindset. Gets (wobbily) on the bike and shakily continues. DS drives up to him and tells him this is it, and that he has to stop.