• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hardest Sport in the World?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
sublimit said:
Pro bullriding must be the dumbest sport.

A redneck gets strapped to a bull and tries to sit on it and then tries to stay on for more than 10 seconds, before inevitably getting thrown of by the said crazed bull. The longer you stay on the more points you get.

Its quite entertaining particularly when the idiot on the bull occasionally get trampled. :)

better than bullfighting though....

Merckx index said:
On the other hand, if you want to rate sports according to how difficult you personally find them, I would have to put B.A.S.E. jumping at the top of my list.

not particularly physically taxing - getting the technique right isn't difficult if you're a decent skydiver with some good form. from a "moment of truth"/"conquering fear" perspective, it's a different story...
climbing/hiking to get to some of the exit points can be an ordeal though - take the Troll Wall as an example...

Machu Picchu said:
I agree about Ice Hockey, it's like American Football and takes a great toll on the body which is what makes it different from things like water polo which whilst tiring is still rather low risk apart from perhaps a shoulder injury or a poke in the eye #_^

b0llocks - there's so much padding in both NFL and MLH. How long would they last trying to play their sport while constantly getting kicked n kneed in ribs, stomach and knackers...
If they took off all that body armour and then played their game, I'd take my hat off to them

I'd still rate the week long adventure racers as having a harder time though

Merckx index said:
I understand what you're saying, but for some people, focussing on one thing is easier. I'm like that, which is probably one reason I see bike racing as a little less challenging, and why I respect skill sports so much. I find it much easier to focus entirely on one thing. You come to know that pain very well, you learn all sorts of tricks to deal with it. I used to swim competitively, and it was the same way, though of course there is some skill in that. In contrast, I was never very good at soccer. I was certainly as fit as anyone on the team, but all those hours refining skills in kicking, passing, etc. I hated. YMMV.

On the other hand, if you want to rate sports according to how difficult you personally find them, I would have to put B.A.S.E. jumping at the top of my list.

what on earth possessed you to add soccer to this list of hardest sports :confused:

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Archibald said:
b0llocks - there's so much padding in both NFL and MLH. How long would they last trying to play their sport while constantly getting kicked n kneed in ribs, stomach and knackers...
If they took off all that body armour and then played their game, I'd take my hat off to them

I'd still rate the week long adventure racers as having a harder time though

they couldn’t play the sport (at least not anywhere near that intensity) without that protection. In fact, if they didn’t wear the padding & helmets it would after awhile (if it didn’t get banned) become safer for them in much the same way as boxing is safer without helmets, and mma is safer without so much padding on the gloves.

Machu Picchu said:
they couldn’t play the sport (at least not anywhere near that intensity) without that protection. In fact, if they didn’t wear the padding & helmets it would after awhile (if it didn’t get banned) become safer for them in much the same way as boxing is safer without helmets, and mma is safer without so much padding on the gloves.

it is played without all that protection - it's called rugby league, and rugby union's not that far behind for bone crunching tackles and hits... ;)

Machu Picchu said:
I can certainly attest to rowing for the uninitiated being a real punishment but perhaps not so much for the amateur/professionals.

Also MMA whilst perhaps as skilful as boxing, the participants do not have to endure as much punishment and fatigue as a high level boxer.

I have competed in boxing , Muay Thai or Thai boxing, and mma. I coached a high level athlete in mma as well, 2x UFC and fought 9 time overseas etc.

Boxing is one dimensional and is very brutal to the head because of the length of the fight and basically hitting till someone goes down or the fight ends. MMA is the triathlon of fight game. You have to box, kickbox, wrestle and do Ju Jitsu. Within MMA , the boxing game is made more brutal by the smaller gloves. Less blows to the head but hard trauma. Its actually safer than boxing but overall to the entire body and skillset, mma is the most complete.

However, in my fight experience including training in Thailand, Muay Thai is the most brutal and 'toughest' sport. It includes boxing, kicks, knees, elbows. The amount of hardening the shins and forearms go thru literally transforms your bone structure. I used to kick a 300 pound sand bag with my shins 3 times a week for 10 minutes at a time to get my shins able to fight and use them without alot of pain. Add Elbows and knees and 5 3 minute rounds and I believe the Top Gun of the fight world for toughness and technique is Muay Thai. If you get hit or hurt, you cant shoot a single leg and start to grapple, you have to stand and BANG.

The cardio involved is different and more anaerobic than cycling.

zealot66 said:
However, in my fight experience including training in Thailand, Muay Thai is the most brutal and 'toughest' sport. It includes boxing, kicks, knees, elbows. The amount of hardening the shins and forearms go thru literally transforms your bone structure. I used to kick a 300 pound sand bag with my shins 3 times a week for 10 minutes at a time to get my shins able to fight and use them without alot of pain. Add Elbows and knees and 5 3 minute rounds and I believe the Top Gun of the fight world for toughness and technique is Muay Thai. If you get hit or hurt, you cant shoot a single leg and start to grapple, you have to stand and BANG.

kicking sand bags brings back a few memories - ours was called "benny" after benny urquidez (sp?). Like kicking a post...
Thai boxing is definately one of the most brutal yet skilfull arts going. The toughest fighting system I've ever trained in/fought.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
XC ski racing. Not only do you use just about every muscle in your body, good technique takes a great amount of finesse and touch. It takes a big motor, but skill is a big part of it too.

If something like it existed I'd say something like a mountain bike GT on real MTB terrain (no extended days of easy dirt road riding allowed) would be right up there too. 6-7 day off road stage races like the Breck Epic are great, but they aren't long enough to get into the true GT like day after day demands that a 20ish stage race would require.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Archibald said:
it is played without all that protection - it's called rugby league, and rugby union's not that far behind for bone crunching tackles and hits... ;)

it really isn't but again this is due to the padding/helmets (as well obvious difference in sport), without those the NFL would have to be played more sedately like rugby -_^

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
zealot66 said:
I have competed in boxing , Muay Thai or Thai boxing, and mma. I coached a high level athlete in mma as well, 2x UFC and fought 9 time overseas etc.

Boxing is one dimensional and is very brutal to the head because of the length of the fight and basically hitting till someone goes down or the fight ends. MMA is the triathlon of fight game. You have to box, kickbox, wrestle and do Ju Jitsu. Within MMA , the boxing game is made more brutal by the smaller gloves. Less blows to the head but hard trauma. Its actually safer than boxing but overall to the entire body and skillset, mma is the most complete.

I agree with most of what you say however I still feel boxing to be the toughest and hardest in the fight game as I think the punishment received is harder.

The gloves, knockdown rules and standing counts make is possible for boxers to endure so much more, the lack of takedowns, kicks etc. just allows the boxers to plant, throw and hit harder to more specific areas.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Machu Picchu said:
I agree with most of what you say however I still feel boxing to be the toughest and hardest in the fight game as I think the punishment received is harder.

The gloves, knockdown rules and standing counts make is possible for boxers to endure so much more, the lack of takedowns, kicks etc. just allows the boxers to plant, throw and hit harder to more specific areas.

In the days of 15 rounds it is untouchable. Still probably the toughest sport even now.

Ultra distance running sounds particularly unpleasant, I suppose it depends on how fast you run though.

Machu Picchu said:

In terms of head trauma, boxing is certainly the most brutal and certainly people dont realize how Dangerous a 12 round championship fight is. Getting hit in the head for basically an hour is a potential suicidal mission. Again, breaking it down further, muay thai vs boxing is kind of an apples and oranges thing.