Harrogate to host 2019 Worlds

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On the same theme, because the second half is predominantly downhill and quite likely to be tail/cross tailwind, it might suit someone prepared to go long (or a small group). Not an easy course for a concerted chase.
 
Re:

Laplaz said:
Belgium's team could be brutal with Gilbert, Van Avermaet, Benoot, Wellens, Naesen, Lampaert, Van Aert and Stuyven.
Don't forget they also have the likes of Campenaerts, De Clerq, De Ghendt and Keisse for rouleurs.

They have the firepower available for pretty much any situation. Having said that, the Dutch team could be almost as good.
 
Sep 3, 2012
29
0
8,580
As a Yorkshireman who lives less than 60km from Harrogate I still think the weather on the day will have more of a part in the result than the route.
 
Re:

old.edu said:
As a Yorkshireman who lives less than 60km from Harrogate I still think the weather on the day will have more of a part in the result than the route.
I don't think it will have much influence on the finishing circuit. It may on the tops around Cray / Buttertubs and Grinton but they're quite far out to not be too much of a factor.
 
Re: Re:

MartinGT said:
old.edu said:
As a Yorkshireman who lives less than 60km from Harrogate I still think the weather on the day will have more of a part in the result than the route.
I don't think it will have much influence on the finishing circuit. It may on the tops around Cray / Buttertubs and Grinton but they're quite far out to not be too much of a factor.
With the length of the route, and a fairly technical and tough finishing circuit, a day of wind and rain will more than make its mark on the race.
 
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Laplaz said:
Belgium's team could be brutal with Gilbert, Van Avermaet, Benoot, Wellens, Naesen, Lampaert, Van Aert and Stuyven.
Don't forget they also have the likes of Campenaerts, De Clerq, De Ghendt and Keisse for rouleurs.

They have the firepower available for pretty much any situation. Having said that, the Dutch team could be almost as good.
True. Dutch team could be Terpstra, Van der Poel, Boom, Kelderman, Dumoulin, Mollema, Van Baarle and Langeveld. Or even Oomen, Groenewegen and Van Poppel.
 
Re: Re:

Laplaz said:
42x16ss said:
Laplaz said:
Belgium's team could be brutal with Gilbert, Van Avermaet, Benoot, Wellens, Naesen, Lampaert, Van Aert and Stuyven.
Don't forget they also have the likes of Campenaerts, De Clerq, De Ghendt and Keisse for rouleurs.

They have the firepower available for pretty much any situation. Having said that, the Dutch team could be almost as good.
True. Dutch team could be Terpstra, Van der Poel, Boom, Kelderman, Dumoulin, Mollema, Van Baarle and Langeveld. Or even Oomen, Groenewegen and Van Poppel.
What would Groenewegen do on such course?!
 
Re: Re:

Blanco said:
Laplaz said:
42x16ss said:
Laplaz said:
Belgium's team could be brutal with Gilbert, Van Avermaet, Benoot, Wellens, Naesen, Lampaert, Van Aert and Stuyven.
Don't forget they also have the likes of Campenaerts, De Clerq, De Ghendt and Keisse for rouleurs.

They have the firepower available for pretty much any situation. Having said that, the Dutch team could be almost as good.
True. Dutch team could be Terpstra, Van der Poel, Boom, Kelderman, Dumoulin, Mollema, Van Baarle and Langeveld. Or even Oomen, Groenewegen and Van Poppel.
What would Groenewegen do on such course?!
Not much, I would also select the others. I only mentioned him because I think he will be among the riders who wants to target the race.
 
Sep 3, 2012
29
0
8,580
Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
MartinGT said:
old.edu said:
As a Yorkshireman who lives less than 60km from Harrogate I still think the weather on the day will have more of a part in the result than the route.
I don't think it will have much influence on the finishing circuit. It may on the tops around Cray / Buttertubs and Grinton but they're quite far out to not be too much of a factor.
With the length of the route, and a fairly technical and tough finishing circuit, a day of wind and rain will more than make its mark on the race.
My thinking exactly
 
Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
MartinGT said:
old.edu said:
As a Yorkshireman who lives less than 60km from Harrogate I still think the weather on the day will have more of a part in the result than the route.
I don't think it will have much influence on the finishing circuit. It may on the tops around Cray / Buttertubs and Grinton but they're quite far out to not be too much of a factor.
With the length of the route, and a fairly technical and tough finishing circuit, a day of wind and rain will more than make its mark on the race.
They have the Yorkshire champs on part of the finishing circuit and that does get v windy there. Like what's said, depends on the day. You could say that of most if not all races that the weather could have influence on it, just look at Paris Nice.

Talking of which, surly Kwia is a contender?
 
Re: Re:

Blanco said:
Laplaz said:
42x16ss said:
Laplaz said:
Belgium's team could be brutal with Gilbert, Van Avermaet, Benoot, Wellens, Naesen, Lampaert, Van Aert and Stuyven.
Don't forget they also have the likes of Campenaerts, De Clerq, De Ghendt and Keisse for rouleurs.

They have the firepower available for pretty much any situation. Having said that, the Dutch team could be almost as good.
True. Dutch team could be Terpstra, Van der Poel, Boom, Kelderman, Dumoulin, Mollema, Van Baarle and Langeveld. Or even Oomen, Groenewegen and Van Poppel.
What would Groenewegen do on such course?!
Stay home preferably
 
Re: Re:

MartinGT said:
Pricey_sky said:
MartinGT said:
old.edu said:
As a Yorkshireman who lives less than 60km from Harrogate I still think the weather on the day will have more of a part in the result than the route.
I don't think it will have much influence on the finishing circuit. It may on the tops around Cray / Buttertubs and Grinton but they're quite far out to not be too much of a factor.
With the length of the route, and a fairly technical and tough finishing circuit, a day of wind and rain will more than make its mark on the race.
They have the Yorkshire champs on part of the finishing circuit and that does get v windy there. Like what's said, depends on the day. You could say that of most if not all races that the weather could have influence on it, just look at Paris Nice.

Talking of which, surly Kwia is a contender?
Is there a course where Kwiatkowski is not at least one of the contenders? The dude can do it all. Hills, mountains, cobbles, has a decent sprint, ...
 
Re:

Laplaz said:
Belgium's team could be brutal with Gilbert, Van Avermaet, Benoot, Wellens, Naesen, Lampaert, Van Aert and Stuyven.
Belgium is the clear favorite, any way you stack their team (with a couple of rollers), they will be THE team to beat.

I DO like our (Denmark) chances too, depending on season schedule and form at the time, our team could be:

Fuglsang, Valgren, Kragh, Mads Pedersen, Cort, Chris Juul and Asgreen

- with the 8th spot being a toss up (I predict Casper Pedersen, who is doing a stellar first WT season at Sunweb - so far - cobbled races coming up).
 
Unsure what to make of Trentin's recent form - He surprised with his ride in Amstel Gold which didn't ideally suit his characteristics, whilehe was disappointing at Flanders and PR which should have suited his characteristics - Reckon ideally teams will have more than one option for the final.
 
Re:

yaco said:
Unsure what to make of Trentin's recent form - He surprised with his ride in Amstel Gold which didn't ideally suit his characteristics, whilehe was disappointing at Flanders and PR which should have suited his characteristics - Reckon ideally teams will have more than one option for the final.
IMHO it's not surpring at all, i've always thought he should have focused more on Ardennes. In Flanders at best he can aim for a top 10, he never gives the impression to be able to win, not to mention Roubaix where he never finished in the top 30, whereas on hilly terrain he has always done well, also on harder races than an Amstel, and got almost all his victories, sometimes he even put on great performances on medium mountains like the stage he won in the 2017 Vuelta or the final stage of last year Paris-Nice in which he reduced the GC group to a dozen of riders and even dropped his own team mates that where supposed to work after him like Kreuziger while working for Yates.
The only problem for him is that looks like his climbing tend to worsen sharply when he's not in really top shape, for example last year at the Vuelta he was always dropped very early after returning from the injury.

Anyway after that route recon i haven't read anything from Cassani about the fact that for months he has said that Viviani was the undisputed leader for the Worlds :lol:
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts