• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Harrogate to host 2019 Worlds

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He hasn't beaten many worlds the last couple of years and seems to have regressed significantly. Combined with his appalling personality, I'm not sure I would even pick him if my name was Davide Cassani.

To me, Trentin is a much better option. His classics results from this year don't fully show how strong he was, and his win in the Tour was highly impressive. Also, him beating Mathieu and Wout in a three-up sprint in the Euros last year should speak volumes.
Regression is because he rides for Ineos, I don't need to elaborate on that.
World champs last year he was super strong.
He'll be there in the finale don't worry.

I think riders like Valgren and Asgreen will do better on this course than Fuglsang. I dont think it really suits his characterics. If its cold and rainy, and hard early on, its a different story though and it will be a completely different race.

I think who the danes ride for on the day, amongst Fuglsang, Asgreen, Kragh, Valgren and Cort, depends entirely on how they feel on the road and what the tactical situation is during the race..... they have all proven themselves in this kind of terrain, and are all medals candidates in principle.

Fuglsang himself has mentioned worlds as a target for his fall season, together with Lombardia, so at least he himself thinks the route suits him.

The biggest question to me is, what 3 riders they select in support roles.

I'm guessing Mads Pedersen, Chris Juul and (unexpectedly) Jonas Vingegaard, who appears in stellar form at the moment.

But it's quite a quality group the danes can select from this year, with a lot of riders doing well, so other potential selections (in support roles) are Moerkoev, Kamp, Würtz, Honore and Casper Pedersen.

Every classics rider ever for Ineos/ Sky has underperformed. The reasons why have been discussed in depth and I'm sure I've seen you in those threads.
Flecha stayed true to form, Hayman improved, while Kwiatkowski, Stannard and Rowe have steadily developed. FFS, Ben Swift got worse after leaving and Poels is a monument winner.

The only classics riders that were better elsewhere were Gerrans, EBH and Hayman (who continued improving).

This whole "Sky are cr@p at the classics" rhetoric is a load of baloney. Sure, there's daylight between QuickStep and everyone else, but Sky/Ineos have been amongst the best of the rest for a long time now.

Flecha stayed true to form, Hayman improved, while Kwiatkowski, Stannard and Rowe have steadily developed. FFS, Ben Swift got worse after leaving and Poels is a monument winner.

The only classics riders that were better elsewhere were Gerrans, EBH and Hayman (who continued improving).

This whole "Sky are cr@p at the classics" rhetoric is a load of baloney. Sure, there's daylight between QuickStep and everyone else, but Sky/Ineos have been amongst the best of the rest for a long time now.
Biggest budget 1 monument.

Lighter puncheurs doesn't have any chance on this course. It's more comparable to Bretange than it is to Amstel. It's more like an ultra-long Flemish classics without the cobbles.

There is a good chance that it wouldn't be a reduced sprint but you need the power of a strong rouleur to stay away from the peloton.

Bigger guys like Stuyven, Naesen, Politt, Asgreen, Lampaert, Van Baarle and Arndt have a chance.

Irish Mens team named as expected. Roche, Martin, Dunbar, Dunne, Bennett & Mullen.

With it being most likely too hard for Bennett and not hard enough for out of form Martin I really hope they at least make themselves seen and try something as opposed the being anonymous like most years. Maybe Dunbar could try hang in and give a go on the last hill. Better to die with your boots on
Roche out; fractured his patella in his Vuelta crash. I didn’t see if they can/will name a replacement. It just got that bit harder for whoever was supposed to lead the Irish team.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Or, you are just the sort of type, who will jump at any chance to talk about Ineos, irrespective of how irrelevant it is to the overall topic...... unless ofcourse you believe, that Ineos is actively trying to hamper Italys chances at worlds ;)
Quite the opposite. It was Hammerthaim who claimed
Regression is because he rides for Ineos, I don't need to elaborate on that.

From what I saw of the route at Tour of Yorkshire, and from what I have read, it seems pretty similar to Amstel, the climbs may be slightly easier, but it's a longer race and probably more windy.

Yes, MvdP and Sagan will be in the mix, but so will Alaphilippe and Fuglsang...... and thus so should Ulissi and De Marchi, which was my initial point ;)
IMHO Amstel is harder and not by a little margin, only the climbs before the circuit where nothing will happen can be comparable to Ardennes, the circuit is more rolling terrain without time to respite than actual climbs.
DoF4xakWkAARwLy

TRENDING THREADS