• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Harrogate to host 2019 Worlds

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Flecha stayed true to form, Hayman improved, while Kwiatkowski, Stannard and Rowe have steadily developed. FFS, Ben Swift got worse after leaving and Poels is a monument winner.

The only classics riders that were better elsewhere were Gerrans, EBH and Hayman (who continued improving).

This whole "Sky are cr@p at the classics" rhetoric is a load of baloney. Sure, there's daylight between QuickStep and everyone else, but Sky/Ineos have been amongst the best of the rest for a long time now.

I think its more about the potential that those riders showed before joining ineos compared to their actual win rate after joining

I think its more about the potential that those riders showed before joining ineos compared to their actual win rate after joining
Madouas would have been a good shout to cover the breakaway moves as the race starts to split up.

The french team is there for Alaphilippe, and only Alaphilippe.

If there was another viable medals candidate, that would be different but there isn't , on that route and the way the season has played out.

Next year will be different, next year the french squad will have a lot of options, but this year, it will be everyone for Alaphilippe..... and he may very well win because of it.

The french team is there for Alaphilippe, and only Alaphilippe.

If there was another viable medals candidate, that would be different but there isn't , on that route and the way the season has played out.

Next year will be different, next year the french squad will have a lot of options, but this year, it will be everyone for Alaphilippe..... and he may very well win because of it.
Of course it is all in for Alaphilippe and he warrants that but it would actually ease the pressure on the team to have viable riders to sit on dangerous moves rather than putting all riders on the task of trying to control the entire race.

Of course it is all in for Alaphilippe and he warrants that but it would actually ease the pressure on the team to have viable riders to sit on dangerous moves rather than putting all riders on the task of trying to control the entire race.

They will not be alone in wanting to control the race.

Many of the nations with big favorites, like Spain, Belgium, Denmark, Australia and Germany will be interested in controlling the race..... and the italians always ride that way at worlds ;)

Cavagna ‘s having a great season, and he’s more than just an engine to sit on the front. Actually, I’m surprised he’s not in for the TT, given his performance in the Vuelta just the other day.

Do France have 7 or 8 spots, and if 8 are they just going without the extra, or will they name one of the TT riders to start the RR?

Incidentally, and this is something I was thinking before PhilGil’s stage win today but is reinforced by that, I have a feeling that with the nature of this course (no flat road, constant corners) that the win may well go to an experienced rider who knows how to do the absolute minimum of work for 6 hours but still be right at the front. Yes, Dept of the blooming obvious, but just that I don’t see this one going to the guy with the best wattage score at the end of the day.

I feel like there’s going to be gaps opening all the the time on the closing circuit, and having to close as few of those as possible is going to be crucial.

Reactions: jaylew
They will not be alone in wanting to control the race.

Many of the nations with big favorites, like Spain, Belgium, Denmark, Australia and Germany will be interested in controlling the race..... and the italians always ride that way at worlds ;)
I very much disagree with you when it comes to Belgium on this course as I think their big card is that they have multiple strong contenders so being aggressive and firing riders into every move and initiating breaks is by far their best use of resources.

Creating anarchy is far more beneficial to them than controlling the race.

I very much disagree with you when it comes to Belgium on this course as I think their big card is that they have multiple strong contenders so being aggressive and firing riders into every move and initiating breaks is by far their best use of resources.

Have they named their team yet? I have this feeling it'll be the Belgian-you-least-expect who actually makes it into the final selection. Like "how did Sepp vanMarcke get into the winning break..?"

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

It depends when you mean.

I do not expect any of the favorites teams, to waste guys in the morning break..... those never last at worlds...... so for the first 1/3 of the race, I expect all the big teams to control.

Now as we near the half way stage of the race, it's a different matter, and you are correct that the team with multiple candidates, will start to shoot off people on the last of the big climbs.

Anyone up for some predictions?

Elite Road Race
1 Gilbert
2 Bettiol
3 MVP

U23 Road Race
1 Pidcock
2 Rutsch
3 Bisseger

Junior Road Race
1 Brenner
2 Stokke
3 Piccolo

Elite ITT
1 Roglic
2 Evenepoel
3 Asgreen

U23 ITT
1 Bjerg
2 Van Moer
3 Price Pijtersen

Junior ITT
1 Brenner
2 Fischer-Black
3 Simmons

Poor Sagan. I have bought my airplane tickets. :p It means he will finish out of the podium.
Unfortunately for him, it is hard for me to resist return air tickets for 30 EUR. For me, nothing can match the atmosphere of WCRR.
+ I promised my mom to take her to England where she never has been so far.

EEhql5JX4AEFmLI

Jaramillo needs to go.

Anyone up for some predictions?

Elite Road Race
1 Gilbert
2 Bettiol
3 MVP

U23 Road Race
1 Pidcock
2 Rutsch
3 Bisseger

Junior Road Race
1 Brenner
2 Stokke
3 Piccolo

Elite ITT
1 Roglic
2 Evenepoel
3 Asgreen

U23 ITT
1 Bjerg
2 Van Moer
3 Price Pijtersen

Junior ITT
1 Brenner
2 Fischer-Black
3 Simmons
  1. Gilbert
  2. Alaphilipe
3.Sagan from the following bunch along with
4. MVP
5.Bennett

Rogalic for TT and would love to see Mullin up there.

The dutch for the WRR of course. Hopefully Anna vdB but I dont know her current form

I dont really know enough the about other age groups tbh

TRENDING THREADS