• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Harrogate to host 2019 Worlds

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
EEhql5JX4AEFmLI

Jaramillo needs to go.
Colombia has no chance with that selection. There was some bad luck that didn't help either:
  • Uran: Injured
  • Chaves: Out of shape and probably tired.
  • Sergio Henao: ?? Probably exhausted after 2 GT's. And not any good anymore.
  • F. Gaviria: Did not deserve it yet. Had a horrible season.
  • Molano and Hodeg: Why? they haven't proved anybody that they are good in these type of efforts.

Not sure if taking Higita would have been a good choice at his age. He is coming from a tough Vuelta.

Gaviria is a “might as well” selection. Even on a bad day, on this particular Worlds route, he’s a better chance of a medal with his sprint than, well, any other Colombian cyclist ever would be. So the whole focus of the rest of the team should be to make sure he’s as close as they can get him to the front of the race for as long as possible.

Reactions: Koronin
Hodeg is a waste of a spot as even if a decent sized group come to the finish it will contain at least 5 stronger fast finishers than him and I would give him less than a 5% chance of even being in a position to contest the final.

Higuita looks a strong contender for the Under 23 title.

Reactions: Naico
Gaviria is a “might as well” selection. Even on a bad day, on this particular Worlds route, he’s a better chance of a medal with his sprint than, well, any other Colombian cyclist ever would be. So the whole focus of the rest of the team should be to make sure he’s as close as they can get him to the front of the race for as long as possible.
Uran, Henao, Mejia.
I have no idea what does this comment even mean?

Last edited:
Uran or Henao are unlikely to be competitive on this Worlds course. They would certainly be contenders (if fit) on a more difficult parcours, but I don’t think this race will have enough elevation for them.

And I can’t think of another Colombian from the past (not Herrera, Parra, Mejia, Botero etc) who would be a genuine chance on the route. Plenty who should have done well on last year’s route, but not this year.

Hodeg is fast but one of the worst climbers in the peloton which is remarkable for a Colombian. Molano can handle a bit lumpier stuff but doesn't seem to have the endurance to be a classics rider.

It's still over 4,000 metres of climbing.. wouldn't make more sense to chose another climber? Currently, they really lack a true puncheur/classics rider.

They need a rider somewhere between Gaviria and Lopéz but with the same natural talent.

Impressive infrastructure built up and ready. The countries team cars are already too.

Shame the roads just adjacent the race are a complete mess, the abuse the drivers give cyclists in this country too. Oh well, at least the road closures will give them some problems.

BRING IT ON!

Hodeg is fast but one of the worst climbers in the peloton which is remarkable for a Colombian. Molano can handle a bit lumpier stuff but doesn't seem to have the endurance to be a classics rider.

It's still over 4,000 metres of climbing.. wouldn't make more sense to chose another climber? Currently, they really lack a true puncheur/classics rider.

They need a rider somewhere between Gaviria and Lopéz but with the same natural talent.

Bentancur ;)

Unless being able to handle the lifestyle of a proffessional athlete is also a criteria.

Reactions: 42x16ss
My top 3 picks

1. Gilbert
  2. GVA
  3. Valverde or MVP
Obviously Valverde is my heart pick. MVP is the more logical pick. (Just like Richmond, this course really isn't a hard enough course for Valverde.)
I don't know, think he'll going to be just fine on this course. It's harder than Richmond although with the easier finale. It's a long and hard course, it will favor riders with great endurance and I think that riders that rode Vuelta will have advantage here. Valverde could very well end in top 10, maybe even on the podium in some ideal scenario. But I can't see him winning here, his speed decline and to win here you must beat some very fast guys.
To me top favorite is Belgium with Gilbert and Van Avermaet. Main contender should be "one and only" Mathieu Van Der Poel, then Sagan, Alaphilippe, Trentin and many others. Although I must say I think Alaphilippe will not be a main protagonist here. He already had two incredible peaks, he was dead after the Tour, he needed a long rest and he choose a lighter approach, which will end by him not being at 100%, and you must be if you want to win here.

Honestly feel like Gilbert is Belgium's best shot.

People are probably a little onto Evenepoel and he's probably over his peak for the year a little bit. GvA may have won Montreal but he wasn't close to the strongest, hasn't been all year and Sagan won't use the WCRR to train for the WCRR.

I think the route is a bit too easy to shatter the peloton into tiny little bits early on, I think we'd be looking at a slightly harder version of the Canadian races, with more attrition. I expect a very tactical race. Everyone pretty much has to choose between anticipating/attacking early, following VdP or following Sagan.

If I were a lesser contender I'd probably try to be in the same move as Evenepoel, then I'd try not to get dropped from that move.

Teuns was really good in the Vuelta though.
But I didn't understand he continued to battle for 10th in GC and not let it go in the end.

My favorites are VdP, Gilbert, Van Avermaet, Sagan, Trentin and Alaphilippe. There's a whole host of others who have chances on this course, there are like 50 guys that could win given the right circumstances, but these are the main guns.
I do know one thing, nobody must go to the line with VdP unless he's absolutely spent.

All three very good selections. I was worried Verbrugghe was making an All-Star squad, rather than a team when he announced his first 5 riders. Van Avermaet, Gilbert, Evenepoel, Stuyven, Vanmarcke, Benoot, Wellens and Naesen would've been too many guys aspiring a leadership role or wanting to have freedom. Someone like Jasper Stuyven rides only for Jasper Stuyven, whereas Lampaert and Declerq know their worth. That said, I've heard it's likely to rain in two weeks time. Wellens is going to be a problem.

I think the route is a bit too easy to shatter the peloton into tiny little bits early on, I think we'd be looking at a slightly harder version of the Canadian races, with more attrition. I expect a very tactical race. Everyone pretty much has to choose between anticipating/attacking early, following VdP or following Sagan.
We could be in for a great race, if strong countries are willing to send strong riders up the road pretty early. However, I fear that several teams will try to control the race, in the delusion that they have the strongest finisher. Italy, France, Belgium, Denmark - they should really go for it if they want to win.

Sagan and MVDP are the two only real top contenders + the ones that would profit most from a relatively closed race. If it's chaos, MVDP may overspend energy too early, and Sagan does not have a team.

Danish team:

TT:
Asgreen
Toft Madsen

RR:
Fuglsang
Asgreen
Valgren
Cort
Mads Pedersen
Moerkoev
Chris Juul
Casper Pedersen

Personally I'd have selected Vingegaard over an out of shape Cort, but otherwise pretty good team, with Fuglsang, Asgreen and Valgren expected to be the protected riders.

Last edited:
Has the Australian team been announced yet?

I know bashing Michael Matthews is a favourite pasttime of this forum and he isn't quite in the same form as last year but they will have a seriously competitive squad for this course. Something like Clarke, Durbridge, Haussler, Haas, Hansen, Docker, Power and Meyer can show very well.