• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Has any Spanish athlete NOT been "exonerated" by Spain ?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
I'd also say that it isn't just Spain that has a **** economy, social problems and a corrupt political elite in need of a golden age to distract people. What's that you say, record gold medal haul in the olympics, knighthoods for successful athletes and their 'architects'... can't think of any other countries that fit the same description.

A fawning toothless media populated by morons and jocksniffing fanboys (hi Dan!)

The UK is basically Spain with **** food and worse weather.

The UK does cover ups nicely, Hayles, CO and her 'forgetfulness'. For the most part they just don't catch anyone so they don't need to cover up. The Spanish mistake is that people keep on getting caught red handed.
dont forget Paula Radcliffe's blood passport MJM, havent you been following that?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
I LOL'd at the BBC report that completely failed to make any mention of a British athlete with dodgy values and talked only about the dirty Russians.
this is usually the time where i am accused of racism when i invoke my epigram extemporised

gordonstoun oxbridge chariots of fire redgrave boat race coxman and coxwain muscular christianity public boarding schools silence in public school dorms stiff upper lip

Mrs John Murphy said:
I'd also say that it isn't just Spain that has a **** economy, social problems and a corrupt political elite in need of a golden age to distract people. What's that you say, record gold medal haul in the olympics, knighthoods for successful athletes and their 'architects'... can't think of any other countries that fit the same description.

A fawning toothless media populated by morons and jocksniffing fanboys (hi Dan!)

The UK is basically Spain with **** food and worse weather.

The UK does cover ups nicely, Hayles, CO and her 'forgetfulness'. For the most part they just don't catch anyone so they don't need to cover up. The Spanish mistake is that people keep on getting caught red handed.

Yeah, the UK economy is in the same state as Spain's, funny all those people coming to the UK fail to understand that

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Andynonomous said:
The Spaniards are dragging it out as long as they can.

I haven't heard that they have been destroyed yet, although I suspect that they will be "accidently" compromised if the tests are ordered.

Quite agree. It would be interesting to see if Wada etc get the legal clout to test them and the Spaniards cannot;) produce them. I wonder what the outcome would be. We know Fuentes got death threats from soccer fans.
A lot of big hitters involved. Could be a popcorn moment.

You'd think with all the pressure seemingly applied by the heavy hitters - WADA, UCI, Coni etc - that progress in the case would have been made by now. Not so, it seems, nor any strong denouncement of the Spanish authorities beyond the mild rebuke seen to date.

I'm unsure how the human rights argument applies (the ground for non-disclosure) when self-evident cheating by professional athletes has occurred. These athletes must all be signed up to their relevant sports federation anti-doping strictures. These ADOs will all have investigative powers in individual anti-doping cases. Has the ITF, for example, added its weight to the WADA appeal given that Fuentes boasted of his connections to tennis?

I don't see any real consensus or effort on the part of these ostensible anti-doping bodies. It begs the question as to how serious their efforts really are to uncover the truth and determine the extent to which blood and EPO doping was occurring across sport during that period.

Mrs John Murphy said:
You mean like those guys that move to the costa del sol?

It isn't just dopers who find a warm welcome in Spain. Armed robbers and UKIPers do too.

People with money move to spain to live off it, people who want money move to the uk (not that I have a problem with that, its part of what keeps the UK economy stronger)

Now back to what you said about the economies

Including the North Africans?

Back to the economies - sporting success = a cheap and easy way to wrap yourself in the flag and makes people feel good about themselves.

Probably slightly better than the alternative option of invading somewhere.

TRENDING THREADS