• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Has Team Sky lost its mojo?

Okay so Sky comes into the peleton, talking a big game, spending a lot of £££, entering straight into the ProTour and were, in the words of one, Wiggins, Bradley, the "Manchester United" of cycling teams.

Because of this there seemed to be (at least in my recollection) quite a bit of hostility towards them... But despite all this they started in January and played the part of the big boys very well. They won a bunch of races, were aggressive, always riding on the front, and even when they didn't win they were still, to a certain degree, impressive.

Then March came around, and as March faded into April Sky slowly became an invisible team. Short of a wheel-sucking third place by Flecha in Paris-Roubaix, I honestly don't recall seeing them at all in April. Gone was the pro-active, aggressive, race-influencing force they were in January-February.... Instead they were a team content to sit back and try for whatever scraps were left after teams like Катюша, Caisse or Saxo had had their fill. Guys like Boasson Hagen, Wiggins, Gerrans or Lofkvist were nowhere to be spotted.

Am I just talking shit and watching with my eyes closed, or am I onto something? What happened to Sky, and more importantly, can they turn it around in the Giro or in June going into the Tour?

I think you're onto something. In fact, I am reminded somewhat of Katyusha, who last year started off with ultra-hyped megabucks, results started with a bang (culminating of course in Ivanov's AGR win), then faded into obscurity to such an extent that I didn't even notice they weren't in the Vuelta until halfway through.

The other thing is that Sky were dealt a bit of a wakeup call in Oman, and they appear to have heeded that - I've seen far fewer self-congratulatory articles, far less of the self-aggrandising quotes, and so on - even when they've been merited (for example, compare the bragging and celebrating about the Qatar TTT and Jayco Bay crit to the times when that kind of celebration would actually be merited, eg Flecha's win at Omloop and Henderson's Paris-Nice stage win).

That and, the necessity of getting the team off to a big start to ensure a TdF spot and to get people talking meant that a lot of the team were focused in on the early season... and perhaps now the roster depth is coming into play as well as, when contrasted with more experienced teams who are now coming into form they didn't have early in the season, Sky's naïveté is being exposed a little at present?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Sky haven't been able to produce when it mattered - which was what a lot of the sceptics said. You wouldn't want us to kick a team when they were down would you? ;)

bianchigirl said:
Sky haven't been able to produce when it mattered - which was what a lot of the sceptics said. You wouldn't want us to kick a team when they were down would you? ;)

+1 SKY have a good roster that can win a stack of smaller races but it was always obvious they would struggle in some areas like the Ardennes Classisc, basically relying on Gerrans. I dont think they have a great team to back up Wiggins, they are a Columbia lite type of team. More hype than substance.

A

Anonymous

sky have the 6th or 7th biggest budget in the pro tour, not the biggest
they were not designed for challenging in the ardennes classics
they had two punctures today to key riders in the closing stages
and placed riders 12th and 24th (still better than some teams)
several riders are still coming back from injury

Disregarding the hype I think for the most part Sky has performed as expected given their roster. They have been visible throughout the cobbled classics which is where everyone knew thier roster would have a decent chance. Flecha has been among the 5-6 strongest riders in most races with RVV being the exception. Matthew Hayman has also been up there alot of the time. What they have been missing is EBH as an extra guy to get some exposure in the front possibly but he's been out with an akilles injury since MSR. Other than that not many riders have underperformed in the cobbled season.

In the ardennes their roster is alot weaker and noone should have expected them to dominate there in any way. Granted they have Löfkvist and Gerrans who have the potential of getting top 10s in the ardennes but they're certainly more outsiders than sure things compared with what should be expected in the cobbled classics.

Outside of the classics they have showed themselves a few times here and there with a couple stage wins etc. What they have been lacking is some real exposure on GCs but that was always going to be a weakness for them so that shouldn't be a surprise. Wiggins seems completely focused on the Tour and nothing else so it seems like he hasn't even tried to do anything on GC yet. Löfkvist has had some setbacks with illness and crashes in races where he could potentially get top 10 on GC but other than that there really is noone that should be expected to have performed.

I'm not expecting much from Sky at the giro either. They won't be the most visible team there, depending on what their final line up will be. Perhaps Wiggins will show himself in some climbs or ITT towards the end but other than that they will probably aim for an odd stage win or so.

I think the impression of Sky has mostly to do with the hype around the team. I don't really pay attention to that and instead try to have a reasonable expectation given the riders they have and from that viewpoint it doesn't look as bad as it does if you buy into all the hype.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
But they didn't win anything in the cobbled Classics either - and haven't shone in any of the difficult early season one week tours. Wiggins has been virtually invisible (adopting the Boss Hog approach to TdF prep presumably) and, let's face it, whatever the budget, they simply haven't walked the walk after talking the talk.

Their results are no disgrace but certainly nowhere near on a par with what they were promising

A

Anonymous

bianchigirl said:
But they didn't win anything in the cobbled Classics either
to be fair, cancellara won half of the cobbled classics.

TeamSkyFans said:
sky have the 6th or 7th biggest budget in the pro tour, not the biggest
they were not designed for challenging in the ardennes classics
they had two punctures today to key riders in the closing stages
and placed riders 12th and 24th (still better than some teams)
several riders are still coming back from injury

reservoir_dogs-worlds_smallest_violin.gif

Do you know what this is? It's the world's smallest violin playing just for the Team Sky boys.

bianchigirl said:
But they didn't win anything in the cobbled Classics either - and haven't shone in any of the difficult early season one week tours. Wiggins has been virtually invisible (adopting the Boss Hog approach to TdF prep presumably) and, let's face it, whatever the budget, they simply haven't walked the walk after talking the talk.

Their results are no disgrace but certainly nowhere near on a par with what they were promising

Het Volk doesn't count?

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I think Sky has done reasonably ok so far. I can think of quite few teams who have had shit seasons if we are dismissing all wins from Het Omloop downwards and ignore all the other podium spots, especially those in the most coveted of races.

They haven't been brilliant, but certainly been visible and competitive with occasional success.

Solid but not spectacular plus injuries and some bad luck. That's what it all adds up to me, so far.

Razzmatazz aside, for a new team with a very decent budget, but not the limousine one that people seem to attribute to them, they've done ok.

Ask Gilbert what a single victory can change in the way people talk about "a season so far". 2010 still has a long way to go, and up til now it has been steady. I'd be reasonably content with the team's arrival so far, with full awareness there is obvious room for improvement.

If I was them, it is Wiggins in the Tour that I would worry about, at this point. That's where the expectations are really raised to level that have "self-inflicted downfall" written all over it, egged on by the domestic press.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I think Sky's done a reasonably decent job so far, but in saying that, like in any sport - if you come in with a lot of money behind you, some decent talent, and start making big statements from the get go, you're going to want to start winning something sooner rather than later, or questions about your ability to 'do it when it counts' are always going to be asked. Still too early to say, but yes, the time to start delivering is coming fast...

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Marcuccio said:
I think Sky's done a reasonably decent job so far, but in saying that, like in any sport - if you come in with a lot of money behind you, some decent talent, and start making big statements from the get go, you're going to want to start winning something sooner rather than later, or questions about your ability to 'do it when it counts' are always going to be asked. Still too early to say, but yes, the time to start delivering is coming fast...

I agee - 'a reasonably decent job'.

For their Spring campaign they were focussed more on the cobbled Classics than the Ardennes Classics. So a win and a podium is a decent result.
Ultimatley though their first season will be judged predominantly on their performances at theTour.

Actually, what happened with Simon Gerrans? Was he not their rider for the Ardennes races?

Marcuccio said:

I think that time has come and gone, even if a Sky fan could argue that it's all about the Tour. I'm of the opinion that Sky took the wrong approach in their PR before the season and during the early part of the year, focusing too much on self-aggrandizement and "aren't we clever" talk at the expense of broadcasting modest confidence. If there are any university lecturers who speak on the topic of corporate communications, I think Team Sky presents a great example of the risk of dishing out so much such hype when the # of uncontrollable variables that could inhibit success are significant. :p

Michael Barry needs to start spinning out some VeloNews diaries ASAP, since nothing would indicate that the team will be posting any wins shortly.

bianchigirl said:

I am going to keep most of my powder dry until Wigans fails horribly at the Tour. That is when the true comedy gold is sure to be found.

I do wonder what the mood lighting on the ol' Sky bus is set to these days. I think the color has changed from pompous peach to troubled teal.

Moondance said:
Guys like Boasson Hagen, Wiggins, Gerrans or Lofkvist were nowhere to be spotted.

Am I just talking shit and watching with my eyes closed, or am I onto something? What happened to Sky, and more importantly, can they turn it around in the Giro or in June going into the Tour?

Those guys are overrated big time-too much hype on paper but nothing more-Gerrans should be regretting by now the switch from Cervelo....
If they want to save the season, they need stage wins right away & do a great battle in the Tour-even a couple crazy breakaways as a last resource...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I am going to keep most of my powder dry until Wigans fails horribly at the Tour. That is when the true comedy gold is sure to be found.

I do wonder what the mood lighting on the ol' Sky bus is set to these days. I think the color has changed from pompous peach to troubled teal.

That will be one not to miss. have you got some one liners ready?

I don't know why gerrans thinks he can win classics like liege and fleche. Yes he has had some average form coming in but I don't see him wining those races.

TRENDING THREADS