• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Has the first week of the Tour been a yawn fest?

Have to say I cannot think of a more boring opening to a Grand Tour in years.

To think a rider who wins the prologue in 7 minutes can hold on to the yellow jersey for a week without even trying to defend it. His team sit on the front at the slowest pace in history.

No attacks, no challenges just the same speed everyday.

Apart from Sagan's victory salutes there's no been much to talk about.

Even Cav has been muted.

If next week becomes Sky riding up mountains and someone attacking with 1km to go, followed by a time trial I'll turn off the TV.

I guess no Contador makes a difference but this Tour is sending me to sleep.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
The team haven't done much defending, but Cancellara himself has worked pretty hard to finish with the puncheurs on the uphill finishes. Today, as well, the breakaway was about 50m from succeeding. I would have liked a tough stage or two - not enough for really big gaps, but enough for a GC outsider like Nibs or VDB2 to think it's worth trying an attack to get 10-20s.

If Wiggins, hadnt been given the same time the other day when he and Rogers rode into the crash, would things be different.

Last year the drama was driven by crashes, the year before crashes also. The year before that the TTT shook it up, plus the wind.

Not sure what you would do to change the first week, other than add a cobble stage.

Do you design the routes for sprint stages, so that if it is windy, splits can occur?

Im actually enjoying it, but I enjoyed the Giro also.

Hugh

Rechtschreibfehler said:
I don't know. It's such a new thing that the first week of the Tour is for sprinters....

Only thing that's really different is that the sprinters can't get time bonuses anymore. So Chavanel actually tried to attack. That's, at least in my memory, more than usual.

Yes we need time bonuses so the yellow jersey is at least under threat. I think at least one more hill sprint finish as well. Would have set the first week up nicely.

Seriously Canc as much as I love him if you didn't know him you wouldn't actually know who had yellow.

Racing has been dire. Nothing to look forward to other than Saturday.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
bring back time bonus

dead flat 20, 12, 8

uphill 10, 6, 4

Mountain top no bonus

that will make first week more interesting, Cancellara is already running out of words when interviewed:rolleyes:

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
More Strides than Rides said:
I agree. I'm glad someone said it early in the thread; I'm surprised this sentiment isn't more common.

well it is always nice to have the tour or any good race on, because yes we love this sport.

But it could be so much more, especially in regards to entertainment.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
First few days have been kind of beige. I will still watch but am hitting fast forward on the dvr way more than previous years.

Rider helmet cams so we can see who causes crashes.

Today was extremely boring from 30km out when I started watching until the final 2km, but otherwise I've been enjoying it and think most of the finishes were well planned. Crash-wise it has been pretty typical, but at least no GC favorites have been forced out, and other jersey contenders are not too banged up except maybe for Cav who looked like he was hurting from yesterday's pile up. All in all, it's been pretty good I think.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Still a bit behind the first 16 stages of the Giro. Although another +1 today will not damage its cause.
Somewhat agreed. Make Angelo Zomegnan the race director of the Tour, please...(of course, he'd probably have the Tour make the turn towards Pic du Midi once they got over the Tourmalet, but that would be just fine by me!)

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
If next week becomes Sky riding up mountains and someone attacking with 1km to go, followed by a time trial I'll turn off the TV.

I guess no Contador makes a difference but this Tour is sending me to sleep.

Hope it's not just going to be Wiggins riding the TT's gangbusters, then hanging on for dear life by his fingernails on the climbs. This won't be worthy of a Tour champ (and I say this as a fan of his). Mind you, maybe that's basically what Indurain did.

Age seems to have caught up with Cadel. Looks like he's missing the top end. Hope Menchov and Leipheimer can throw a spanner in the works, though I remember the Giro that Menchov won, where he followed di Luca around like a limpet mine (though it was a good race).

Giro this year was a real snoozefest--VW diesel Rabbits chugging up hills, watching each other. We need Bertie back to put "the fear of God" in the peloton when he attacks. Ha, ha, that will wake up riders hoping for a snoozefest to victory! :D

(Looks like the Vuelta, on the face of it, might be a better race this year: Bertie vs. Andy S., with both having a lot to prove)

Yes as others have posted it's been quite boring thus far.But it's the tour so things can change overnight so im hanging in their.Hoping things happen tomorrow in the mountains?Cadel,Sanchez and Gesink to attack at 6km to go,with Wiggins and Team Sky chasing hard?;)

I've enjoyed it. Great that there have been some hills and finishing ramps in the first week, and great that one sprinter hasn't been dominant. Was hoping for big wind yesterday and that was a disappointment. Sagan has emerged as a huge star and Cancellara has fought in yellow like the champion he is. I've enjoyed the northern countryside as well, yet another beautiful part of this gorgeous country.

I think it's been better than usual.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Hope it's not just going to be Wiggins riding the TT's gangbusters, then hanging on for dear life by his fingernails on the climbs. This won't be worthy of a Tour champ (and I say this as a fan of his). Mind you, maybe that's basically what Indurain did.

Age seems to have caught up with Cadel. Looks like he's missing the top end. Hope Menchov and Leipheimer can throw a spanner in the works, though I remember the Giro that Menchov won, where he followed di Luca around like a limpet mine (though it was a good race).

Giro this year was a real snoozefest--VW diesel Rabbits chugging up hills, watching each other. We need Bertie back to put "the fear of God" in the peloton when he attacks. Ha, ha, that will wake up riders hoping for a snoozefest to victory! :D

(Looks like the Vuelta, on the face of it, might be a better race this year: Bertie vs. Andy S., with both having a lot to prove)
I can't wait for the Vuelta, particularly with Purito getting to ride a course that is lacking a flat individual time-trial.

The Vuelta, just like the Zomegnan-era Giro, has done its part to spice up the entire race (although they got lazy in week three last year). Adding that to being the beneficiary of Mini-Schleck's pelvis injury and Contador's (see the Clinic for more information), and this year's version figures to be an outstanding race.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I thought the ending of some of the stages have been terrific. Today's was awesome. Watched it with my children and was really pulling for the breakaway right up to the point they got caught. What a heartbreaking moment, but it was really exciting.

The problem is that the racing is far too calculated. Once the break is established, let them dangle on the front then catch them with 5 kms or less to go. It is always just a handful of riders. I don't recall anyone getting caught in "no-man's land" nor anyone trying to bridge to the leaders. It happens in the one week races, but not in the TdF apparently.

It is too controlled, but "it is what it is" in the first week of a GT.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
UpTheRoad said:
I thought the ending of some of the stages have been terrific. Today's was awesome. Watched it with my children and was really pulling for the breakaway right up to the point they got caught. What a heartbreaking moment, but it was really exciting.

The problem is that the racing is far too calculated. Once the break is established, let them dangle on the front then catch them with 5 kms or less to go. It is always just a handful of riders. I don't recall anyone getting caught in "no-man's land" nor anyone trying to bridge to the leaders. It happens in the one week races, but not in the TdF apparently.

It is too controlled, but "it is what it is" in the first week of a GT.
I wonder what would happen if there were absolutely no time gaps given by race radio, or anybody else, whatsoever, and if the riders had to figure out everything on their own...

There is nothing unpredictable. Even the crashes are becoming quite predictable.
The only stage where time gaps could have occurred, was also marred by crashes and the 3KM Rule.
However Ir's the norm at the Tour. Last year was an odd one.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
If there had been wind, no one would be complaining about the dullness of the stages. So blame the weather. Personally I enjoy watching the sprinters duke it out. A few years ago there was only the red train of Mario doing the lead out, now there are several trains trying to dominate each other. That's great.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It has been a bit boring minus the last 3km where there are the crashes + the sprint of course. Sometimes it's interesting when they throw cobblestones in the mix or when there is a crosswinds, but nothing too exciting outside of the accidents.

I don't like the accidents myself, hate seeing riders get hurt.

But I usually just skim through until the end. The great ones always say, "The race starts on the first mountain stage."

TRENDING THREADS