• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Haussler the German

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
see how he handled San Remo.

Best win ever by a sprinter. Mcewen has had some rippers, like 2007 London stage 1, but Cavendish sprinted like a crit, when it was about 270kms in his legs, plus a Poggio and Cipressa. And Cav has a unique ability like Mcewen, to nose his way through a finish, it is just that he never required it, in the last few seasons, because he built the reputation and train at Columbia.

Mcewen is dreaming. He should stay with the weather on the Gold Coast or wherever he lives.

i think your right. it's still good to see that if he's going down, he's going down with a fight. it would be nice to see him beat cav. i think some of the sprinters need to have more of a plan to beat cav because he will just keep dominating the others.The london stage victory is my favourite st victory at the tour forever. the way he got back to the peleton, got to the front and sprinted around everyone with such power and ease was just amazing. i watched that stage the other day and was looking for mcewen. he was a far way back and in quite a lot of traffic and got through.

badboyberty said:
Haussler is now saying that he will never ride the Worlds for Germany, and is prepared to give up his German passport to be allowed to race as an Australian.

http://player.sbs.com.au/cycling#/cycling_08/interviews/interviews/playlist/Heinrich-Haussler-true-blue/

I wonder whether Udo Springer's misrepresenting him in the press made it easier for him to consider surrendering his German passport?

It's rough to have him forgo his German passport/nationality, having to disown one of his two home nations because of a cycling race. As much as I would like to see him in the green and gold, it's a suboptimal solution

There's not much point gearing the 2010 squad completely around sprinters when the chances of Cav winning a sprint are almost absolute. Basically the top 5 or so nations are going to have to focus on getting a group to stay away.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The German Cycling Fed has made the decision for Haussler :D:

Heinrich Haussler zal op het WK in Geelong, Australie uitkomen voor Duitsland [...] Zijn dubbele nationaliteit is inrelevant. We hebben met haussler al afsraken gemaakt voor 2010", aldus bondsvoorzitter Udo Sprenger. " Als Heinrich in vorm is zal hij het WK rijden........voor Duitsland en niet voor Australie

"At the WC in Geelong, Haussler will be competing as a German. [...] His dual citizenship is irrelevant. We have made agreements with Haussler for 2010", according to Udo Sprenger. "If he is on form, he'll ride the WC ..... for Germany, and not Australia. Source

He better make sure he is not on form then ;)

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Franco Ballerini (Italian national coach) has compared the Geelong parcours "to the finale of the Flèche Brabançonne." Ballerini who has been in Australia to have a look at the circuit is of the opinion that it favours the Belgian team with Boonen or Gilbert.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Bala Verde said:
The German Cycling Fed has made the decision for Haussler :D:

He better make sure he is not on form then ;)

It's funny that Udo Springer says one thing and Haussler says somehting totally opposite. What's going on, are Haussler's German language skills so bad that he keeps saying "ya, ya" to Udo Springer when he means to say "nein!", or is Springer just living in a fantasy land?

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Haussler has legitimate reasons to be either German or Australian. He wants to represent Australia, was born in Australia, has one Australian parent, and wants to settle back in Australia when he finishes cycling. That is a quite convincing argument for wanting to represent Australia. While there should be some grace period during the transition between representing either country so athletes do not swap from country to country on a whim, I do think Haussler should ride for Australia if he wants to rather than be told by the UCI that he has to ride for Germany because that's the country he represented as a junior.
I agree that his has legitimate reasons about it. Though in many sports (maybe all of them) if you chose a certain nationality you can not change it afterwards. In football many federations urge to call a certain player so to "tie" him with the national squad. I don't think that that's the case of Haussler. He came in Germany on purpose to pursue his career in cycling, he benefited of their system etc. So, it's somehow a lack of respect to the German cycling establishment...

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
balkou said:
I agree that his has legitimate reasons about it. Though in many sports (maybe all of them) if you chose a certain nationality you can not change it afterwards. In football many federations urge to call a certain player so to "tie" him with the national squad. I don't think that that's the case of Haussler. He came in Germany on purpose to pursue his career in cycling, he benefited of their system etc. So, it's somehow a lack of respect to the German cycling establishment...

Roman Kreuziger moved to Switzerland when he was 15 and was on a swiss Junior squad to develop his talent.

Somehow the Swiss seem okay with him calling himself Czech.

Haussler was born and raised in Australia to a German and Austrian parent. He moved to Germany at 14 for cycling.

He's got dual citizenship. He was born and raised in Australia. I really don't see why either Germany or Australia would be able to tell him that he HAS to be part of their country. Germany can revoke his German citizenship... but they can't revoke his Australian citizenship. Where he went to train is immaterial... unless you think Kreuziger should be racing for Switzerland.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Roman Kreuziger moved to Switzerland when he was 15 and was on a swiss Junior squad to develop his talent.

Somehow the Swiss seem okay with him calling himself Czech.

Haussler was born and raised in Australia to a German and Austrian parent. He moved to Germany at 14 for cycling.

He's got dual citizenship. He was born and raised in Australia. I really don't see why either Germany or Australia would be able to tell him that he HAS to be part of their country. Germany can revoke his German citizenship... but they can't revoke his Australian citizenship. Where he went to train is immaterial... unless you think Kreuziger should be racing for Switzerland.

:eek: Dire.

Slightly OT, but can somebody explain the German nationality law to me, because my TAFE (or Tech school for you yanks) class, there is a woman in there and she is originally from Germany, been living in Australia since 1993, before that in New Zeaaland (left before the Berlin Wall came down, she is to quote JFK, "ich bein Berleiner"), and is now an Australian citizen, but not a German citizen anymore. But Haussler is a dual citizen?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Was she East or West German? If she was East German, then they may have ended her citizenship when she left. They didn't take kindly to people leaving their system.

Susan

I think she is from West Germany. She said she had been on family trips back to Germany years ago using a German passport.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
The other thing is that it can be difficult to take on a second nationality. I have lived in GErmany nearly 19 years but am still an American citizen. If I were to take on German citizenship, I would lose my American citizenship.

Susan

Slightly off topic...

As an American citizen you are not allowed to take on another (second) citizenship, or does the German law force you to choose?

In the Netherlands situations of dual citizenship do occur, for example when your first state does not allow you to loose your 'original' citizenship (I believe Morocco does not allow Moroccans to ever loose their citizenship) although you could still obtain dutch citizenship. The general policy in the Netherlands however is to prevent dual citizenships, so if you - as a dutch citizen - were to voluntarily choose another citizenship, you would automatically forfeit your dutch one.

Different countries have different policies with regard to citizenship, traditionally or pragmatically. The adoption of Jus Soli entails that everyone born on a nation's soil, automatically becomes that nation's citizen. Contrast that with Jus Sanguinis, where only those born to a national can obtain that citizenship.

I think the US has Jus soli, historically because it makes it easier to increase citizenry.

Obviously, these 2 systems, all with their exceptions and specifics, can be conflicting or complementary.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
If I understand correctly , this has nothing to do with the citizenship laws from either country, since he already has dual citizenship.

It is the UCI who is insisting that he must relinquish German citizenshipship to ride for Australia. Since he had to make the initial decision whilst he was still a minor, I think he would have a good case at something like the Court of Human Rights.

He should not have a give up his nationality in order to make his living.

...and yes I want to see him ride for Australia next year.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
davidg said:
If I understand correctly , this has nothing to do with the citizenship laws from either country, since he already has dual citizenship.

It is the UCI who is insisting that he must relinquish German citizenshipship to ride for Australia. Since he had to make the initial decision whilst he was still a minor, I think he would have a good case at something like the Court of Human Rights.

He should not have a give up his nationality in order to make his living.

...and yes I want to see him ride for Australia next year.

I dont care who he rides for, I just want him on a team where he can be sole leader with quality support. Following him sine 2005 Vuelta win then solid representation in his debut in the classics. Saiz wanted him the year before, but he wisely delayed his pro entrance. He was an allrounder as an espoir, won the chrono in the German juniors, and was solid uphill. So has versatility in pedigree.

I would like to see Ciolek back to his 2007 speed, and Greipel at a different team, and Haussler on his own team. I think all those guys have miles more talent than Farrar, and need their own team. Ciolek excepted. But Ciolek gotta get back on his 2007 program.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I would say Ciolek and his Milram team mates are too scared to dope. If he (or anybody else) tests positive = Milram pull out = goodbye German cycling.