• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Have We Seen The Last of Simoni?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
I think he had high hopes for this Giro , but the race has passed him by without a whimper, sad for a great Italian rider of the past.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
probably

but if we have, then this is my only opportunity to write my humble version of his cycling obit. He is my favorite rider and i have watched him for a long time, mostly in the Giro of course. I remember his courage attacking in 2000 and that is what first caught my eye. His first win in 2001 was marred by a doping scandal the day of the Queen stage, that whole day took away most of the glory of the day for any cyclist, but he rode what was left into the ground in a rainy foggy day. His own doping scandal, that turned out to be not doping but just plain weird, most likely cost him the 2002 race. The 2006, I think(?) Basso tour, the 2 riders that beat him later turned out to be dopers, he might have won otherwise. So i suppose doping has cursed his career a lot for someone not actually caught, a curse of the times perhaps.

Yes, personally he was a whiner, he whined at Cunego in 04 and at Basso again later, but he never seemed to whine on the tough climbs, just put the hammer down and the race will be less exciting for me for a while. Thanks Gibo.

Sorry if my years are wrong, the tours fade into one another somewhat.

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Nothing sad about it. He's been a good rider for a long time. Seems like the kind of guy that just loves bike racing, I think he does a bunch of mountain biking as well. Bit if a whiner at times but I chuckled today when he stuck out his tongue to the camera as he raced backwards out of the leading group...

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
vinoverde said:
but if we have, then this is my only opportunity to write my humble version of his cycling obit. He is my favorite rider and i have watched him for a long time, mostly in the Giro of course. I remember his courage attacking in 2000 and that is what first caught my eye. His first win in 2001 was marred by a doping scandal the day of the Queen stage, that whole day took away most of the glory of the day for any cyclist, but he rode what was left into the ground in a rainy foggy day. His own doping scandal, that turned out to be not doping but just plain weird, most likely cost him the 2002 race. The 2006, I think(?) Basso tour, the 2 riders that beat him later turned out to be dopers, he might have won otherwise. So i suppose doping has cursed his career a lot for someone not actually caught, a curse of the times perhaps.

Yes, personally he was a whiner, he whined at Cunego in 04 and at Basso again later, but he never seemed to whine on the tough climbs, just put the hammer down and the race will be less exciting for me for a while. Thanks Gibo.

Sorry if my years are wrong, the tours fade into one another somewhat.

He is one of my favourite riders he has always had an attacking style but I knew he didn't have it in him for this giro. I think this will be his last giro. As for 2006 I'm not saying that he is not a doper I have learnt not to put my trust in any pro cyclist. Sad reality but true

One of my very favorites too. I loved the way he climbed, and loved the way he went for it and left everything on the road. Just a beautiful rider and he'll really be missed. This may indeed be his last Giro.

Keep one thing in mind about today though guys, he's never liked hot weather, and never ridden that well in it. He's always done better when the roads are freshly plowed and the temps near freezing. Not saying he would have won today's stage if he were like that, just that I'm sure it contributed to his time loss. He also probably bagged it at one point and figured he might be able to save something for a future day.

Count me as another huge Simoni fan. Yes it is rather sad to see him end his career this way but he's shined bright at the Giro with his 2 Giro wins and multiple podium appearances. I'm glad that he's buried the hatchet with Cunego, who I've accepted to be a consumate pro who simply took what was given him in 2004 although let me say that it was a complete disrespect to Simoni as the defending champion (and one that was fully capable of winning his 3rd Giro at the time) the treatment he was submitted to by the team management. I would call his protests of his treatment only the words of a proud champion who was bamboozled and ambushed by his own management. His protestations of Basso being "extra-terrestrial" were laughed at by most at the time but proved to be fairly accurate as time has passed.

Simoni was a pure climber. Couldn't time trial. Couldn't sprint. Hated the heat of the Tour. A quite particular rider as many pure climbers are. Outspoken but for me in the most entertaining and straightforward way. Running on the high of his 2003 Giro win he stated he was going to take it to Armstrong in the mountains of the Tour. It didn't come to pass and of course Armstrong railed in to him about his bravado. Simoni saved face with a stage win which to me said alot about the grit of Gibo.

He's won on some of the toughest climbs in Europe and he's won stages in all 3 grand tours. Simoni has always ridden with that Italian flair and even has shown regret for some of his actions on the road. He's stated that he regretted chasing down Pantani on what was probably his last attack on a mountain stage in the 2003 Giro. Simoni admitted that he was caught up in competing with Pantani and wanted to give his best in response even though at the time Pantani was no threat to his standing in the gc.

I agree he seems to be someone that just loves the bike. I'm hoping he's able to pull out a stage win on one of the remaining stages. That would make this Giro complete for me. Simoni will definitely be missed by me.

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
I agree with all of the above. He was a great rider of his time. The problem is that he has succumbed to the same problem we all face, aging. No one can prolong it, it comes and you don't have a choice.
Although we can relish, if you can remember or have tapes/dvd's, his great runs at the Giro. This guy was one of my favorites. He is a classy guy and will be remembered for a long time by the peleton and fans alike.
It would be cool see more young riders study the skills of the past/older riders.
Ride on Gibo!!!

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
It is a sad sight to see a champion like Simoni simply not having it anymore.
Was a big fan of his until his outbursts in 2004 (Cunego) and 2006 (Basso).
Very sore loser. Can't see him getting a stage unless it's from a breakaway. No chance a break can get away tomorrow, so that only leaves Vesuvius as a possibility.
Never had him down for a podium place before the Giro, but I expected him to make Top 10 and get a stage win maybe. Little chance of either happening now, I guess.
Probably his last season. No point in him continuing really.

Zoncolan said:
Was a big fan of his until his outbursts in 2004 (Cunego) and 2006 (Basso).
Very sore loser.

But in retrospect, don't you think you would have been sore if you "lost" that way as well? Besides, I don't know how he gets along with Basso, but by every indication he and Cunego are friendly these days.

Simoni won probably the two biggest and most challenging climbs in all of cycling. Twice up the Zoncolon, and one of only four riders to win on the mighty Angliru, his named etched along side other superb pure climbers in Jiminez, Heras and Contador. It may be many years before someone else matches this feat.

Great posts all, I like the tributes to Simoni. Yes I think he is done; he's simply an old great at the end of his career and the years have worn out the racehorse.

He would most likely have 3 Giro's to his name if he was not robbed in 2003 with the silly cocaine candy incident - was too bad as he was in his peak years then.

Anyway, he was a great pure climber and he will be missed.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
I never got to watch him in his prime but it's always sad to see a big name go. Seems to really love riding what with the MTB and all, which is what I like to see.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
But in retrospect, don't you think you would have been sore if you "lost" that way as well? Besides, I don't know how he gets along with Basso, but by every indication he and Cunego are friendly these days.
Maybe I should have been clearer. The thing I disliked was the way: a) he attacked his teammate (he had reason to feel aggrieved) and b) he made up that story Basso offered him money to let him win the stage (again had reason to feel aggrieved as Basso asked him not to drop his *** on the descent).
He had reason to feel angry, I just thought he could have handled both situations way better.

Angliru said:
Count me as another huge Simoni fan. Yes it is rather sad to see him end his career this way but he's shined bright at the Giro with his 2 Giro wins and multiple podium appearances. I'm glad that he's buried the hatchet with Cunego, who I've accepted to be a consumate pro who simply took what was given him in 2004 although let me say that it was a complete disrespect to Simoni as the defending champion (and one that was fully capable of winning his 3rd Giro at the time) the treatment he was submitted to by the team management. I would call his protests of his treatment only the words of a proud champion who was bamboozled and ambushed by his own management. His protestations of Basso being "extra-terrestrial" were laughed at by most at the time but proved to be fairly accurate as time has passed.

Simoni was a pure climber. Couldn't time trial. Couldn't sprint. Hated the heat of the Tour. A quite particular rider as many pure climbers are. Outspoken but for me in the most entertaining and straightforward way. Running on the high of his 2003 Giro win he stated he was going to take it to Armstrong in the mountains of the Tour. It didn't come to pass and of course Armstrong railed in to him about his bravado. Simoni saved face with a stage win which to me said alot about the grit of Gibo.

He's won on some of the toughest climbs in Europe and he's won stages in all 3 grand tours. Simoni has always ridden with that Italian flair and even has shown regret for some of his actions on the road. He's stated that he regretted chasing down Pantani on what was probably his last attack on a mountain stage in the 2003 Giro. Simoni admitted that he was caught up in competing with Pantani and wanted to give his best in response even though at the time Pantani was no threat to his standing in the gc.

I agree he seems to be someone that just loves the bike. I'm hoping he's able to pull out a stage win on one of the remaining stages. That would make this Giro complete for me. Simoni will definitely be missed by me.

Great post. Summed up and presented everything I'd wanted to say on the topic. The only thing I'll add is that Gibo is actually a pretty nice, down-to-earth guy. In one race in Italy in '06 that he was riding for training with the blessing of the organizers, I accidentally honked a nose-full of road snot in his general direction while we were in the lead group. I thought I was last in the line and totally missed him lurking behind me and slightly to the right, going uphill.

Well, rather than mother-f'ing me, as would have been expected, he took it in stride, with good humour and class that forever earned my respect and admiration.

It's funny how the little things, seeming insignificant acts, can really set in stone how we esteem, or under-value, others.

Go Gibo'!

PS. Does anyone know where I can buy a copy of the "Quest" movie that documented Gibo and Saeco's efforts to win the Giro? Someone stole my copy of it at training camp several years ago...

TRENDING THREADS