• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Have you noticed that... ?

Have you noticed that...

Milan - San Remo
1. Mark Cavendish, GBR has run the Tirreno-Adriatico

Tour of Flanders
1. Stijn Devolder, BEL has run the Tirreno-Adriatico

Ghent - Wevelgem
1. Evald Boasson-Hagen, NOR has run the Tirreno-Adriatico

Paris - Roubaix
1. Tom Boonen, BEL has run the Tirreno-Adriatico

Amstel Gold Race
1. Sergei Ivanov, RUS has run the Tirreno-Adriatico

Fleche Wallonne
1. Davide Rebellin, ITA has run the Tirreno-Adriatico

Liege - Bastogne - Liege
1. Andy Schleck, LUX has run the Tirreno-Adriatico

is it only a case or not... ?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Montepaschi Strade Bianche said:

is it only a case or not... ?

Not. Tirreno–Adriatico has been the mandatory early season warm up for the Spring Classics protagonists since it's inception into the calender.

Have you noticed that Michele Scarponi has won nothing since winning Tirreno?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Not. Tirreno–Adriatico has been the mandatory early season warm up for the Spring Classics protagonists since it's inception into the calender.

Have you noticed that Michele Scarponi has won nothing since winning Tirreno?
Have you noticed that Scarponi was forced to ride for Rebellin in every race he stood a chance of winning?
Not without logic though, given Rebellin's results in those races.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
+ 1

.....results, yes. And since Rebellin is retiring after this year. I'm sure Scarponi is glad to play domestique this spring. Hopefully Scarponi will have stage win at the Giro this year.

Apr 26, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
+ 1

.....results, yes. And since Rebellin is retiring after this year. I'm sure Scarponi is glad to play domestique this spring. Hopefully Scarponi will have stage win at the Giro this year.

You are wrong... Rebellin has told last week he will ride one or two years again...
however nowadays I think that Tirreno Adriatico is so much better than Paris-Nice with regard to the quality of the riders...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
T-A sets riders up for the Classics - the riders who did well in P-N will be shining come the Grand Tours. Saying this race is better than that race misses the point that all races have their own particular rationale and are capable of producing great racing regardless of whether, on paper, their field was better than that of another race.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I think Giro's comment about T-A being a better race in terms of quality of riders than P-N might have had more to do with Nationalism than anything else. One of my suppliers is Italian, and believe you me, I get an earful every week.