• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Heal Soon, Rhubroma

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
patricknd said:
hopefully you can use the down time to further your studies and come to the conclusion that Scott is, of course, correct on all things in the politics thread :D

but seriously, I'm thankful we're reading about an injury and not an obituary. I hope the recovery is speedy and you're back on the bike very soon.

Amen. And thanks patricknd.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Thanks Stingray. No, the driver hasn't been charged yet. However, I'm in contact with a lawyer and building a case. At least he didn't flee the scene, for which the police also took his info. He just kept repeating, somewhat in a daze, mi spiace, non ti ho visto (Sorry, I didn’t see you) I was, needless to say, in such agony at the time that I was in no condition to follow up on what the police where doing. They took my story and then I was put into an ambulance and sent to hospital.

I had a good riding friend, who I called from my cell phone before going to the emergency room, come and fetch my destroyed bike. At the scene the police, who were still there, as was the delivery truck driver, told my friend that he made the same turn to enter the driveway of the tire salesman as the delivery truck immediately next to the scene. In fact the delivery truck was turning in there when he cut me off. Due to the double white stripes at that spot, however, which was only about 100 meters from a traffic light, the police told my friend that neither he, nor the delivery truck driver was allowed to make that turn.

Consequently not only did he cut me off, but turned where that wasn't permited by the street code. Seems like I thus have an air tight case. The only thing is I have to wait 90 days to get the police reports, though I can request the driver's insurance info. before.

In short, I've got a lawyer on it and am just trying to heal in the meanwhile.

I've got a second appointment for x-rays today and then either this afternoon, or tomorrow morning, the orthopedic medic will come to my flat and tell me the prognosis.

I have never been on my back in bed this long before and I can say that the pain is still constant after a week, whereas the nights are always the worst.

Hopefully the orthopedic will be able to give me a better idea with the new x-rays regarding how long I can expect to still be in this much pain, and what type of timetable I'm facing before I can resume normal activity more or less.

Yikes. Not sure of your exact injuries, but I can offer this;

Take the pain meds. Seriously. Don't try and he-man it. Do what the doctors tell you and control your pain.

That's all I've got. Keep us in the loop.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear this, I wish you luck and a speedy recovery. Glad to hear you've got the legal process figured out and going and that it didn't turn out worse.

Take your time and get plenty of rest and you'll be back on the bike in no time.

Many years ago I hit a dog that crossed right in front of me while I was riding very fast. I was thrown off the bike and landed on my back. While the accident was nothing like yours—nothing broken—I was bedridden for a couple of days, unable to move without intense pain. As soon as I could move enough to get out of bed, though, I got on the bike and found that hard rides were great pain-killers. For hours afterwards, there was no pain at all. That was just about the time natural opiates were coming to be appreciated—I was actually involved in some of that research myself--and there isn’t much doubt in my mind that that was going on. Exercise is a wonderful analgesic.

So when you finally are released from the hospital and can move around some, keep that in mind if you still have pain issues. I certainly agree with Scott—as I told you before in another thread—don’t skimp on the PEDs, but when you’re strong enough to ride you may find that will help a lot.

Merckx index said:
Many years ago I hit a dog that crossed right in front of me while I was riding very fast. I was thrown off the bike and landed on my back. While the accident was nothing like yours—nothing broken—I was bedridden for a couple of days, unable to move without intense pain. As soon as I could move enough to get out of bed, though, I got on the bike and found that hard rides were great pain-killers. For hours afterwards, there was no pain at all. That was just about the time natural opiates were coming to be appreciated—I was actually involved in some of that research myself--and there isn’t much doubt in my mind that that was going on. Exercise is a wonderful analgesic.

So when you finally are released from the hospital and can move around some, keep that in mind if you still have pain issues. I certainly agree with Scott—as I told you before in another thread—don’t skimp on the PEDs, but when you’re strong enough to ride you may find that will help a lot.

Thanks for sharing. Well, I just want to get out of bed! Hopefully this morning the orthopedic will tell me I can start being on my feet.

As far as natural opiates are concerned they work only in certain cases. A month ago I had banged up ribs from a fall on wet roads and riding made the pain go away. In 2009, however, I crashed in a race at high speed and fractured my coccyx. In that case, because I didn't go to the hospital for x-rays at the time, I tried to ride in the ensuing days but it was to no avail. When I went for x-rays and was diagnosed the medic couldn't believe that I actually road the following days with a broken coccyx! In fact, that was stupid because it only prolonged the healing. On another occasion a scooter ploughed into me, but luckily no broken bones, although I was laid up for about ten days with general pain and whiplash. Then I got "doored" by someone and ripped open my finger to the bone. That only required about 20 stitches though, but I landed on my coccyx again which hurt like hell for about 2 weeks after.

After this latest incident I'm beginning to call myself crash test dummy. :D:eek:

Can't wait to get back on my bike!

Saw the orthopedic doctor this morning. After analyzing my new x-rays he said I need to remain in bed, to not put any weight on my spine, until a month since the incident is over.

Three more weeks. Thirty freakin days in bed on my back! I need a shrink.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow that's awful man!

Though, if I know you a little bit, I'm sure there's some intresting literature that's waiting to be read by you coming thirty days!

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Wow that's awful man!

Though, if I know you a little bit, I'm sure there's some intresting literature that's waiting to be read by you coming thirty days!

Thanks, however, since I'm fairly restless, cycling has always helped me calm down and be able to focus on my literary pursuits, research, etc.

I'm too pi$$ed off and aggravated right now to get into anything serious, but I do have lots of work to do. I’ll try to just ease into this involuntary confinement. The Neapolitans say you have to take life with philosophy. Anyone know a philosopher?

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Thanks, however, since I'm fairly restless, cycling has always helped me calm down and be able to focus on my literary pursuits, research, etc.

I'm too pi$$ed off and aggravated right now to get into anything serious, but I do have lots of work to do. I’ll try to just ease into this involuntary confinement. The Neapolitans say you have to take life with philosophy. Anyone know a philosopher?

...the Camorra are impossing an interesting sort of philosophy around Naples I hear. I think it's called dioxin?

Unfortunate circumstance you're in for certain, another blow to the empire that you'll survive. I suffered something similar during a bike race in Belgium decades ago but it was my head that bore the brunt *explains much*.:eek:

Just read this, so sorry to hear about your accident :( Get better as quickly as possible!!! At least you have a computer to keep you somewhat occupied!

In my older age I'm frightened to ride on the roads anymore; to much traffic. So I transport the bike to the bike path via car these days. Reading about your accident has not alleviated any fears!

Stay optimistic and watch a lot of old races between reading and phone chats!!!

Best,

Carol

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Just read this myself. Not been around here much of late.

Ok. Rhubroma - chapeau for being il professore in RL, if that is the RL case.

2nd - stick with the docs advice - up to about 75%. Listen to what your body says, too. But very very carefully. Fractures like this are nothing to mess with. On the other hand, you can heal mightily faster if you know your body, and work it right.

Funny stuff - funny movies, funny radio shows, anything that makes you laugh that you can engage whilst remaining immobile - do it. Laughter is the best medicine.

Exercise - your doc says no stress for 30 days. Ok - then after that, focus on short time-involvement stretching and core work. No 30 minute workouts - but if you feel like stretching a little, do what feels ok. Yoga is super. Forward bends, child's pose - easy stuff that can be done very very minimally - to the limits your body will accept. Given your starting condition, you may be able to move to a plow position quite rapidly. The trick is not to push. If you are in good condition, as you indicate, you will want to do less than you think you can. But, in my experience, usually more than the doctors are keen on.

Some very short-time-involvement weight sets can be a great recovery aid. Not totally maxing out @ 3 reps, but not too far behind that. Nothing @ 40-50 reps - not going there. Low reps, and below max capacity. Enough to get the muscles and tendons "excited", but not stressed. To a cardio workout type - like a cyclist - this kind of weight workout almost won't feel like a workout. But 30 seconds AFTER you lift - you'll see some heartrate elevation etc.

Spine is a bit trickier, but only because the risk is higher. I've done this for other major bones, but not the spine. However, convalesced with others who had spinal issues.

Ok, now shut my mouth and stop the advice.

Good luck. Heal quickly. Patience is a wonderful thing (meditation aids patience). Shucks - what more can one say? Obviously the community is concerned regarding your accident.