• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Heart rate problems

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Hello there. I have a question
So, last year I was riding a lot and I had no problem to keep 180 BPM for over an hour, and reaching my max of 192 here and there. Then I stopped in winter for 3 months, and was going only in gym for 3 months straight to get some "power" and "strength". Last month I am back on bike, and I feel a lot stronger, sited and standing, can pedal standing for hour without problem(1 year ago I couldn't pedal standing for no longer than 1min :D ).
So the problem is I have hard time getting my HR over 175, or even keeping it at 175ish for half hour or longer.
But still I am able to ride about 30% faster than I was able to do last year.
For effort I needed 180+ BPM last year, I can do it with less than 170 BPM now. On 1 hour climb last year I average 178 BMP, this year I average 160 BPM and I was faster 1 min.
So my question is now, how do I get the "endurance" at higher heart rate which I had last year?
Thank you! :D

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
If your faster and stronger and your heart rate is slower I don't understand why you want your heart to beat faster

because if you can hold higher HR for longer, it means you can hold lower for longer aswell = endurance

Heart rate itself is not a complete picture - the 'stroke volume' of how much blood is pumped per beat is needed to know how much blood you're able to circulate.
Typically with training the heart's internal capacity increases and the heart muscle become stronger so it can pump a larger amount of blood per beat.

You might be able to achieve a higher heart rate by using more muscles - e.g. running, rowing, cross-country skiing, etc.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
If your faster and stronger and your heart rate is slower I don't understand why you want your heart to beat faster
Exactly. If Emanuel now rides 30% faster than last year, either he was starting from a really low base or he's close to fulfilling his genetic potential anyway.

Re: Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
ray j willings said:
Exactly. If Emanuel now rides 30% faster than last year, either he was starting from a really low base or he's close to fulfilling his genetic potential anyway.

If he rides 30% faster, it is strange that he is only 1 minute faster on a 60 minute Climb.. 30% is a HUGE improvement allright.

Re: Re:

Armchaircyclist said:
If he rides 30% faster, it is strange that he is only 1 minute faster on a 60 minute Climb.. 30% is a HUGE improvement allright.
-----
I think he was only reporting about his results at a 'selected heart rate' of 160 bpm - not that the amount of 'effort' was the same. And also NOT that he couldn't ride at a higher HR, and be faster on the climb.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

TRENDING THREADS