• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hein threats & dodgy Armstrong bank accounts

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Siriuscat said:
Simple: people in the sports highest echelons covering their backsides "HV" panicing like hell that the truth will come out

I doubt this guy panics. He is calmly having his assistant make a few phone calls.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
bridgeman said:
I doubt this guy panics. He is calmly having his assistant make a few phone calls.

For what reason....all he can try to do is shut Landis up therefore he is concerned about the truth of the collusion with Armstrong coming out.....cushy job at the IOC might disappear rapidly

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
German Public television ran a story on these emails last night. They have Landis telling Armstrong to stop the threats.

Perhaps Susan saw it and can give us a review?

May 15, 2010
Visit site
bridgeman said:

He is concerned but prolly not panicked . And I think if someone was lying about me, I wouldn't lash out semi-anonymously, I'd get my face in front of the biggest audiences I could and rip Floyd a new one.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Boy am I going to enjoy watching the Hog, Uniballer and the UCI sweating bullets... The last paragraph is especially poignant.

Its all slowly but surely building momentum

The bank accounts are interesting. We can probably assume that Och made recommendations to more Americans than just Landis to set up such accounts. In recent years the large Swiss banks that do business in the U.S. have run into problems with hiding money from the IRS for Americans, and there is now an agreement in place for the Swiss to hand over account info to the U.S. government. UBS itself admitted that it schemed to defraud the U.S. government by hiding Americans' assets. It might be an interesting line of investigation to find U.S. cyclists who have UBS accounts, under threat of prosecution for tax evasion get them to turn on Ochowicz, and then get Och to roll on others. It would be straight up tax fraud, of which Novitsky is an expert.

HV is obviously a tool. It is hard to imagine that this petty a-hole was running cycling. He is acting like a fifteen year old.

May 16, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The bank accounts are interesting. We can probably assume that Och made recommendations to more Americans than just Landis to set up such accounts. In recent years the large Swiss banks that do business in the U.S. have run into problems with hiding money from the IRS for Americans, and there is now an agreement in place for the Swiss to hand over account info to the U.S. government. UBS itself admitted that it schemed to defraud the U.S. government by hiding Americans' assets. It might be an interesting line of investigation to find U.S. cyclists who have UBS accounts, under threat of prosecution for tax evasion get them to turn on Ochowicz, and then get Och to roll on others. It would be straight up tax fraud, of which Novitsky is an expert.

This is starting to sound like the story of a man named Al who ended up at one point spending his leisure at Alcatraz. Even the investigator's surname began with 'N'...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Wicked Witch said:
This is starting to sound like the story of a man named Al who ended up at one point spending his leisure at Alcatraz. Even the investigator's surname began with 'N'...

Tax evasion cleaning up cycling. It's a shame the island is just for tourists now.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Just read the DailyNews piece. "Och" must be one of the most worried out of all the people named so far. Tax evasion is so clear and a relatively 'unmuddled" crime compared to all the complexities of doping charges and distributing EPO etc...

Additionally, anyone recommending that their star riders set us Swiss bank accounts to avoid paying taxes is 99% likely doing the same themselves.

Perhaps this is where some of the leverage will come from.

Novitzsky: "Och, this tax evasion charge could go any way you want it to"

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
oldschoolnik said:
Just read the DailyNews piece. "Och" must be one of the most worried out of all the people named so far. Tax evasion is so clear and a relatively 'unmuddled" crime compared to all the complexities of doping charges and distributing EPO etc...

Additionally, anyone recommending that their star riders set us Swiss bank accounts to avoid paying taxes is 99% likely doing the same themselves.

Perhaps this is where some of the leverage will come from.

Novitzsky: "Och, this tax evasion charge could go any way you want it to"

Och was Armstrong best man at his wedding, Godfather to his first kid, and manages all of his cash. His day job is working for Thom Weisel in his private banking department, managing money for super rich people.

I would be surprised if this is the first time that Och recommend this tax evasion strategy.....His key client would feel left out if he was not offered the same deal.

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:
Och was Armstrong best man at his wedding, Godfather to his first kid, and manages all of his cash. His day job is working for Thom Weisel in his private banking department, managing money for super rich people.

I would be surprised if this is the first time that Och recommend this tax evasion strategy.....His key client would feel left out if he was not offered the same deal.

Do you think he done the same for Gary Seghi?

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Intersting, some of this I didn't know. Two questiosn for you:

1) Does his still have this day job even now with his role at BMC?

2) Will you be bringing Och apple fritters when he is in the joint?

May 25, 2009
Visit site
sometriguy said:
Did they change the article or am I missing something?

There is no mention of bank accounts?

From the article:

Landis then proceeded to describe an episode involving a close Armstrong backer, Jim Ochowicz, a former cycling official who now owns the BMC Racing team. Landis wrote that in 2005 Ochowicz advised him to set up a secret bank account through the Swiss bank UBS to avoid American taxes on his salary.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/m...07-10_disgraced_floyd_landis_rides_alone.html

A

Anonymous

sometriguy said:
Did they change the article or am I missing something?

There is no mention of bank accounts?

"While Mr. Ochowitz served as advisor for the Phonak team he introduced me to a financial advisor from UBS while we were in Zurich and the two advised me to and advised me how to deposit my paycheck into the UBS bank in order to avoid ever having to pay federal tax in the United States," Landis wrote Verbiest. "I never took their very poor advice but only bring it to your attention to enlighten you to the good possibility that Mr. Verbugen and Mr. Armstrong could easily have made a financial agreement without any evidence thereof."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/m..._landis_rides_alone.html?page=2#ixzz0tU7S0riz

My apologies for the late reply. OldschoolNIK got the jump.

A

Anonymous

oldschoolnik said:
Intersting, some of this I didn't know. Two questiosn for you:

1) Does his still have this day job even now with his role at BMC?

2) Will you be bringing Och apple fritters when he is in the joint?

No way. I heard it will be apple sauce!

Just GOTTA love the way Landis has his emails written as of late. Someone really clever is giving him a hand there.
Seriously, this story, 100% true or not, will make a great movie. Whether Landis is totally honest about his doping (well, he admits to having doped to his best achievements so that seems pretty reliable coming from him), it's his story to tell. Armstrong and gang are free to indicate that the reality they preach differs, but who cares. Perhaps Landis could play himself in the movie?
Floyd, if you read this, can I write the script for you?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Pedaaldanser said:
Would that email really be from HV? If so, it sounds so.... stupid? Childish?

Hardly makes any sense to do that.

In the article, "HV" admits he sent the email (bottom of p2).

I like this from near the end of the article

If investigators find corroboration of Landis' claims in the form of sworn testimony and documentary evidence, then Verbruggen and Armstrong and Bruyneel could stop worrying about Landis' psychiatric state or wine consumption

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
oldschoolnik said:
From the article:

Landis then proceeded to describe an episode involving a close Armstrong backer, Jim Ochowicz, a former cycling official who now owns the BMC Racing team. Landis wrote that in 2005 Ochowicz advised him to set up a secret bank account through the Swiss bank UBS to avoid American taxes on his salary.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/m...07-10_disgraced_floyd_landis_rides_alone.html

Ha, Thanks. Apparently I didn't see that there were 3 more pages. I thought the story ended pretty abruptly :)

Cloxxki said:
Just GOTTA love the way Landis has his emails written as of late. Someone really clever is giving him a hand there.
Seriously, this story, 100% true or not, will make a great movie. Whether Landis is totally honest about his doping (well, he admits to having doped to his best achievements so that seems pretty reliable coming from him), it's his story to tell. Armstrong and gang are free to indicate that the reality they preach differs, but who cares. Perhaps Landis could play himself in the movie?
Floyd, if you read this, can I write the script for you?

Most of FLandis' e-mails read like they were edited by a PR person. There are often words, phrases, and sentences that do not appear would be used naturally by Landis. In many instances the language appears to have been "spiced up" during editing. Does anyone think that Landis really wrote, "I never took their very poor advice but only bring it to your attention to enlighten you to the good possibility that Mr. Verbugen and Mr. Armstrong could easily have made a financial agreement without any evidence thereof."?

For some reason the "bombshell" e-mail reads like it was written by Landis without help. That is rather odd. Perhaps the e-mails to the USADA were some of the first e-mails, and Landis got help as things gathered steam.

editedbymod

BANNED
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Most of FLandis' e-mails read like they were edited by a PR person. There are often words, phrases, and sentences that do not appear would be used naturally by Landis. In many instances the language appears to have been "spiced up" during editing. Does anyone think that Landis really wrote, "I never took their very poor advice but only bring it to your attention to enlighten you to the good possibility that Mr. Verbugen and Mr. Armstrong could easily have made a financial agreement without any evidence thereof."?

For some reason the "bombshell" e-mail reads like it was written by Landis without help. That is rather odd. Perhaps the e-mails to the USADA were some of the first e-mails, and Landis got help as things gathered steam.

Could be the wine talking?

Sounds like a lot of fun putting these emails together. No wonder Lance is sh1ting himself. Has no idea what will be released when.

TRENDING THREADS