Hein Verbruggen

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Even the Pope is getting in on the act:

The Pope told Olympic leaders that looking for profit and victory at all costs risked reducing athletes "to mere trading material".

"Sport is harmony, but if money and success prevail as the aim, this harmony crumbles," Pope Francis said.

Neat Olympics bauble for him ;)

keep taking the holy water!
 
Aug 7, 2010
346
0
0
TourOfSardinia said:
Even the Pope is getting in on the act:

The Pope told Olympic leaders that looking for profit and victory at all costs risked reducing athletes "to mere trading material".

"Sport is harmony, but if money and success prevail as the aim, this harmony crumbles," Pope Francis said.

Neat Olympics bauble for him ;)

keep taking the holy water!
This pic comes to mind....
 
Fausto's Schnauzer said:
This pic comes to mind....
Pope John Paul II was a big cycling fan.

He blessed Manzano after his revelations. He also met Cipo. Often he'd be watching the Giro but never the Tour.



Spanish rider Jesus Manzano kisses Pope John Paul II's hand during the weekly general audience in St. Peter's square at the Vatican, Wednesday, March 31, 2004. The Spanish rider, who rocked the cycling world with accusations of widespread doping, has signed with an Italian team that has a public anti-doping stance.
 
Oct 16, 2010
13,578
1
0
Is that issue with degaldeano already known? I think from 2001. Vebruggen giving him a pass for cortisone.
or the uci email to all teams i think from 2002 where they explain teams that dynepo cannot yet be detected but offers great performance enhance,ent...
read about it in the sueddeutsche zeitung tpday, article about the growung pressure on verdruggen, including thes stuff that came out yetsterday (stevenhaagen,etc.)
 
sniper said:
Is that issue with degaldeano already known? I think from 2001. Vebruggen giving him a pass for cortisone.
or the uci email to all teams i think from 2002 where they explain teams that dynepo cannot yet be detected but offers great performance enhance,ent...
read about it in the sueddeutsche zeitung tpday, article about the growung pressure on verdruggen, including thes stuff that came out yetsterday (stevenhaagen,etc.)


The graph below shows the frequency of Google searches for Hein Verbruggen this year.

Two peaks, one in January when Lance went on Oprah and one this month after Lance accused the former UCI chief of ordering a positive test to be covered up.
http://journalvelo.com/opinion/lance-armstrong-still-controlling-the-agenda/
 
Mar 25, 2013
3,762
0
0
Interview with Verbruggen in The Telegraph tomorrow.

Responding at length for the first time to the disgraced former Tour de France champion’s claims last month that a positive test in 1999 was suppressed, Hein Verbruggen, the former head of world cycling:

• Accused Armstrong of making the accusations for financial gain
• Produced documentary evidence aimed at showing there was no positive test
• Said there was no corruption during his reign in charge of the International Cycling Union
• Revealed he had written to the American seeking an apology.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/lancearmstrong/10524376/Lance-Armstrong-has-an-agenda-made-my-life-a-misery-says-former-UCI-president-Hein-Verbruggen.html
 
thehog said:
Perfect timing. Clearly worried about what coming out in testimony from London :rolleyes:
As a long term follower of this whole saga (certainly not as long or as 'inside' as many here), it's really satisfying to see the wolves start turning on each other. Verbruggen's 'Lance is just trying to get money' is the new Lance's 'Floyd and Tyler are just trying to get money', which of course in itself was a theme played on by Floyd and Tyler themselves. Up the chain it goes... I know it was inevitable it would come to this at some point, but just like Lance saying 'yes' in those opening 90 seconds of the Oprah interview, I never really thought I'd be seeing it. It will be interesting to her what comes out of the Brunyeel et al arbitration stuff, and whatever comes out of Qui Tam about Wiesel, reactions to that, etc (of course Wiesel is disconnected enough to cycling that he probably has less incentive to go slinging mud in public than others).
 
Mar 11, 2009
4,043
0
0
Good interview, Verdruggen coming out of it as his usual loony self. They could have asked about his plans to buy the TDF with Lance (vs "never much contact", his "Lance never never never doped" statements and "I can make anyone positive" claim...
 
Aug 18, 2012
837
0
0
"I see it as if I am part of some kind of industry now: it's called the Lance Armstrong industry. People are making films now. It's all part of the industry"

Good to know that Heins beginning to realise, especially since he is so concerned about his precious reputation, that he will be immortalised in the kernels of history as a key, key player in the biggest fraud in the history of sports.

That's not even mentioning the rest of his work at the UCI.
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
Briant_Gumble said:
"I see it as if I am part of some kind of industry now: it's called the Lance Armstrong industry. People are making films now. It's all part of the industry"

Good to know that Heins beginning to realise, especially since he is so concerned about his precious reputation, that he will be immortalised in the kernels of history as a key, key player in the biggest fraud in the history of sports.

That's not even mentioning the rest of his work at the UCI.
I wonder is he worried about his reputation or that his accounts might be ceased for profiting from a fraud?
 
Feb 10, 2010
8,095
0
0
PhD in Corruption

The guy is a master strategist that Wonderboy cannot match.

Insisting UCI rules required a prescription, but not a backdated one,

He's knows his rules and his actions are protected by them.

But, then this happens:
Explaining his investment with Thomas Weisel’s firm, the Dutchman produced bank records and other documents showing he lost money on the venture and insisted he had no knowledge of Weisel’s involvement with Armstrong’s team when the investment was made on his behalf.

Loses money on a scheme at Weisel's firm yet, somehow has no knowledge of Weisel's involvement in cycling.. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to more! C'mon Wonderboy, fight Hein's lies!
 
Oct 17, 2011
943
0
0
Hein: ""You will never, ever find any cover-up in the UCI while I was president, and I'm sure afterwards neither."

Haha omg cycling is like a TV soap/drama that just keeps giving. Anytime I feel down I just check up on some cycling news and I'm all smiling again :D
 
May 26, 2009
2,614
0
0
DirtyWorks said:
The guy is a master strategist that Wonderboy cannot match.
Meh, for those nice millions he sure gets a lot of public backlash for quite a few years now. If he was a really fantastic strategist he would have gotten away with it without all the trouble he is in now. I don't think a guy like hein can handle being so synonimous with fraud. All his buddies will distance him, no nice jobs going his way... going to be lonely last years.

Wonderboy will have the advantage of time by his side. in 20 years we will have forgiven him. In 20 years Hein probably ain't around anymore.

Hein is no master strategist... he's a bully without morals, otherwise you don't end up in the chair (same for FIFA, FIA, IOC etc.). Not much strategizing besides collecting support from small countries and grab all the cash you can as long as it lasts.
 
Jul 10, 2012
249
0
0
poupou said:
If no positive test had occured, what was the need of a backdated TUE ?
Wasn't the narrative that; the lab reported to the UCI a 'problem', the UCI saw it was a sample from mono-ball, & Hein spoke to him & between them cooked up the TUE.

Hence there was never a Positive test, because the UCI just got back to the lab & said, 'Ah, it's okay, that sample came from someone with a TUE'
 
Feb 10, 2010
8,095
0
0
"Retired" Hein Verbruggen Interview

Long interview with Hein. Very good stuff to get an idea of the UCI's world view and what Cookson is most likely working on. Let's make money like Ecclestone!

http://theouterline.com/?p=527

He's showing his hand though, because the revenues he discusses never seemed to end up in the UCI's revenue.
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
DirtyWorks said:
Long interview with Hein. Very good stuff to get an idea of the UCI's world view and what Cookson is most likely working on. Let's make money like Ecclestone!

http://theouterline.com/?p=527

He's showing his hand though, because the revenues he discusses never seemed to end up in the UCI's revenue.
UCI will never make money of F1 levels. The teams in F1 have huge corporations backing, pushing and financing their products.

Cycling would be better off building club brands, similar to football.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts