• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Help: The "enemies" of Lance Armstrong?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Tubeless said:
I am an European living in the US so perhaps I can offer the following without being labeled as biased.

The Landis emails have changed the tone. The media coverage has been wide-spread and almost exclusively anti-Lance. The involvement of federal authorities will ensure this thing is not going away any time soon, and regardless of whether it leads to any indictments, almost certainly Lance's legacy even in the US is now toast - he joins Marion Jones, Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens as one of the tragically fallen US sports heros. It may also put a dark cloud over his cancer "charity" operations.

This is the most important thing to Lance. He makes his living off of endorsements and his legacy is everything. Marion Jones was last seen in some kind of atheletic carnival, boxing or some crap. I expect Barry and Roger are just getting fat...ter. None are endorsing products in this country.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
He makes his living off of endorsements and his legacy is everything.

it would be stretching it to say he makes his 'living' anymore, but he very definitely enriches himself through the endorsements and it was meant to be a legacy but hopefully that is finished...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
it would be stretching it to say he makes his 'living' anymore, but he very definitely enriches himself through the endorsements and it was meant to be a legacy but hopefully that is finished...

You're right, as long as he adjusts his expenditures; he should continue to live well. If his Foundation activity becomes discredited, Nike mints another mutant and RS/Budweiser terminate his endorsement deals I doubt Mellow Johnny's bike shop will keep the Gulfstream fueled up.
That's just as well because he won't get invited to jet set parties anymore, either.