• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Here come the aussies

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
GB went seven seconds faster a couple of months ago. Probably wasn't Australia's best team but they've still got some catching up to do. With Hoy back & Thomas on fire have seen nothing to suggest the Brit domination is over.

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Should be good worlds though. Prob not best Aust team this weekend, but a few of the guys were racing in TDU. See how our nat's pan out in couple weeks.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
It sounds like a hugely impressive ride by the Aussies. I also think that New Zealand have a lot more to come. Were Rebecca Romero to return to the British trio I'd say Britain would be more or less untouchable, but that doesn't sound particularly likely - especially in the longer term - so it looks like it could be the highlight of this year's World Championships.

A

Anonymous

trouble is with the world cup rounds is riders pick and choose what they want to do and we rarely see the top riders compete...

now come the world championships them we will see...

Are we scared of you aussies.. nope not at all.. just a shame auscyclefan isnt a track fan.. :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
trouble is with the world cup rounds is riders pick and choose what they want to do and we rarely see the top riders compete...

now come the world championships them we will see...

Are you scared of you aussies.. nope not at all.. just a shame auscyclefan isnt a track fan.. :D

more interested in the road. went to the world cup in melb for the past 2 years!

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I am very close to the TP aussie girls and have watched them race since they were 14 and move through the junior ranks - huge talent & exciting stuff as the "new broom" sweeps all before them - Aussie Aussie Aussie sorry if I am biased!

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
more interested in the road. went to the world cup in melb for the past 2 years!

Good Good.. gives me something else to rib you about when we get all the golds.. :D

I see your rainbow jersey and raise you five.. :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
Good Good.. gives me something else to rib you about when we get all the golds.. :D

I see your rainbow jersey and raise you five.. :D

Still unhappy with what I did to you with the down under coverage?

He won from 250 riders. Track WC's are a lot easier to win!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
mmmuuuzzz said:
auscyclefan94 has obviously never raced on the track and had to win by .01 of a second - totally different form of racing AAHH!

just came from the riding the track 1/2 an hour ago. Road cycling is more competitive. A lot of the top track riders go to the road and then just ride the track a bit before the olympics e.g. Wiggins! It shows the top riders are on the road and not the track therfore road cycling is tougher and more competitive!

auscyclefan94 said:
just came from the riding the track 1/2 an hour ago. Road cycling is more competitive. A lot of the top track riders go to the road and then just ride the track a bit before the olympics e.g. Wiggins! It shows the top riders are on the road and not the track therfore road cycling is tougher and more competitive!

How wrong can one person be? Wiggins rode sessions on the track every single week, with some road training added for his pro road team, that is why he won World Championships on a regular basis not just before the Olympics he has competed in. At least try and get your facts straight.

Plus i'll be in Copenhagen watching Australia win much less than most nations, I even predict Hong Kong will do better than Australia this year.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Big_Blue_Dave said:
How wrong can one person be? Wiggins rode sessions on the track every single week, with some road training added for his pro road team, that is why he won World Championships on a regular basis not just before the Olympics he has competed in. At least try and get your facts straight.

Plus i'll be in Copenhagen watching Australia win much less than most nations, I even predict Hong Kong will do better than Australia this year.

Do you think it is easier or harder to win a road world title than a track world title?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
It would be harder to win a road world title. Track is over-rated and the team pursuit is a non event. The roadies would break the 4k team record 2 times in the last 10 kays of a TdF stage and that is after riding 150+ kays.
There is no guaruntee a madison chapion would be any good at stage racing let alone 4 kay pursuit rider. More likely to blow up before 100 than anything else, or be in the last 10 of 150 riders of a stage race.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
Do you think it is easier or harder to win a road world title than a track world title?

Well hard to compare, as there is only two road disciplines and many more track disciplines.

In some ways easier in some ways harder. In an indivudual track event you only have yourself, its you against the rest, on the road, you have an entire team devoted to helping you win, so in some ways easier. Would cadel have won the world champs without his team, not a hope in hell, so from that aspect one could say its easier. YOUre line about 250 rders on the road event is ******** and you know it. Only 10 riders are realistically in with a shot, the rest are there to support or for the money.

A

Anonymous

and actually, unless you are chris hoy, the keirin world is probably going to be harder to win than the worlds, tour de france, and paris roubaix riolled in together.. its a one man show..

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to say this once.

THE WORLD CUP SYSTEM NEEDS CHANGING (on the track), and yes i ment to yell that!

Secondly, the Aussies have always been reasonable on the track, but judging on the basis of world cups is slightly silly, World Championships are better to judge by - If we took it by Beijing we'd need to be shaking over China!

I still think countries have a long way to go before they can surpass Great Britain, especially on the mens side of things. Womens is slightly more open i think.

Bobridge set the 3rd fastest pursuit in history today (and not the 2nd fastest as CN says, he's the 2nd fastest man, but Boardman holds 1st and 2nd fastest)
FASTEST 4,000M INDIVIDUAL PURSUIT TIMES

4-11.114 World record*

Chris Boardman (Great Britain)

Manchester, World Championships final 1996

4-13.353*

Chris Boardman (Great Britain)

Manchester, World Championships 1996

4-14-427
Jack Bobridge (Australia)
Adelaide, Australian National Track Championships qualifying 2010

4-15.015

Geraint Thomas (Great Britain)

Manchester, World Cup, October 2009

4-15.031

Bradley Wiggins (Great Britain)

Beijing, Olympic Games qualifying, August 2008

~ Cycling Weekly.co.uk

It's close, but i think Geriant can go a little faster ;) Or is this me being patriotic (being patriotic is so much easier on the track than it is on the road)

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Though Boardman's time were set with the now defunct "superman" position, not to mention the frames that have also been subsequently banned.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Oh and there is a big reason most riders don't stay just "pure" trackies. Its all about the $$$. Unless you're Sir Hoy, chance are you will make a lot more cash being on the road. Lots of trackies, especially the sprinter types (who can't ride road races) have second jobs unless they get an invite to race keirin or the like in Japan.

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Tapeworm said:
Oh and there is a big reason most riders don't stay just "pure" trackies. Its all about the $$$. Unless you're Sir Hoy, chance are you will make a lot more cash being on the road. Lots of trackies, especially the sprinter types (who can't ride road races) have second jobs unless they get an invite to race keirin or the like in Japan.

oh yeah, there's no doubt that the money is on the road. But there are quite a high number of dedicated trackies as well, it's not just Hoy.

TRENDING THREADS