• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Here's an explosive one

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
This guy's blog is pretty interesting, he has a good view of a lot of things, and lives in France. This one was a shocker, though:

http://theinnerring.blogspot.com/2010/04/real-dope.html

"It's not the first time organised crime has been linked to a cycling team. I'd like to name a team from the 1990s but better not do so for health reasons. The team was genuine but one of the sponsors was a front for organised crime and used for money laundering."

The bit about the Colombians was, somehow, not *that* surprising, but the above is a pretty heavy duty accusation.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Bernard Tapie - the man behind La Vie Claire and later involved with Olympic Marseille (football team) - had links to organised crime.

That was my first thought as well, however he said it was in the 90's. I assume that he said that to divert from the obvious answer.

davidw said:
"It's not the first time organised crime has been linked to a cycling team. I'd like to name a team from the 1990s but better not do so for health reasons. The team was genuine but one of the sponsors was a front for organised crime and used for money laundering."
The bit about the Colombians was, somehow, not *that* surprising, but the above is a pretty heavy duty accusation.

coke.jpg

Didnt RMO have a sponsor lined up to take over the team in 1992 but turned out to be a fraud. It was supposed to be a middle-eastern Sheikh and they were brought to his house and wined and dined but he then disappeared leaving then high and dry. I think this fraud was a front for a criminal organisation.