• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Here's how to fix cycling:

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Libertine Seguros said:
Mr Wrecktangle is an amusing character.

Nothing like Wonderlance level or anything, but a solid start to build from.

im trying to work out if wrektangle is polish, wonderland, blackcat or daotec.. just cant put my finger on it.. he has charectaristics of all four

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
This could end up as a blueprint for ongoing cycle race coaching in China or North Korea. I hope the leaders there dont read the opening posat of this thread.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
perhaps what would be even more awesome would be bring your own bike races. where fans can bring in their bi9kes and starts would have to ride them and if you are a great rider you should get a very bad bike and someone like gesink a bike with sidewheels, so it would be more fair :)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Wrecktangle said:
Excellent suggestions like this are exactly the reason I thought I needed to make my post.

...this way we can make inroads into the rock-climbing audience. I'm told their numbers are huge.

yep - we are everywhere!

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Wrecktangle said:
What? With better media exposure, comes higher newsprint and TV exposure and thusly higher shoe sales, which in turn results in bigger prizes, which in turn results in more fights at finish lines, which gives us higher newsprint and TV exposure, and bigger prizes, etc, etc, etc, etc, ...

Nope, everyone will want to get on a bike and race, it's the nature of man.

How would it bring better media exposure. I can just see it now. Harmon and Kelly/ Liggett and Sherwan saying, "This is an amazing race, losing 20 minutes and still in with a great shout of winning the race." :p Oh wait a minute. This is more likely. "This is crazy, Cav lost 20 minutes yesterday and is still only 30 seconds behind Alberto Contador. What has the sport done."

sky forever said:
I am sorry but no 8 won't work. Cav losing 20 mins a stage and still being in with a chance of winning GC. NO NO NO!!!!!!!

Clearly you do not get it. Everyone should have a chance to win. Every five or six years the Tour de France should be completely flat with not even a cat 3 climb. People already believe that the WC should occasionally be tailor made just for sprinters. They have also done it with the Olympics. Periodically the Tour de France needs to be made suitable for fat tossers who don't like to suffer.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I think it should be like wc that at leats every 10 years is a flat tour so a sprinter can win it. or else people have an idea that sprinters aren't as great as climbers

Granville57 said:
Close, but no unclipping should be allowed. You go down, or have a puncture or get tired? Tough luck. You get dragged along by the other 8...or 7...or 6...or 5 riders. It should be the burden of every team to get each and every member of said team across the finish line regardless of their condition or circumstances.

I can see it in my head, even now. This made me laugh so much, I nearly spat out my wine.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
clipperton said:
i like where you're heading with this one, but i think there's two birds with one stone we can kill here.
given the recent complaints from the womyn's peloton about the uneven distribution of funding for cycling (or "perfectly bloody even given that funding is a result of revenue" depending on your perspective) perhaps what the uci should be looking to do is to merge the mens' and womyns' pelotons, but offer a handicap in the interest of competition. instead of just a "man vs womyn" handicap, what about we base the handicap on the number of testicles each rider has? this would allow both the womyn and the uniballer a fighting chance.

The way for Women's cycling to take a serious turn and make more revenue is for said women to start wearing less clothing.

...it works in all sports. Women's mud wrestling, for instance. Or Lingerie Football: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingerie_Football_League

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Tank Engine said:
I see the proposals are specifically aimed at simplifying stage races, so we Brits and our like who are not infused with the arcane beauty of the sport from an early age can understand what is going on and not wonder why Cav is 138th, since he won 60% of the stages.

However, I have one question regarding the length of stages and developing the spectacle of what happens along the route. Do you want to shorten the stages, because if not there will have to be some sort of primes along the way? Maybe we could make the sport more attractive to basketball/soccer fans by having one of the riders in a team carry a ball which must within a specified distance be passed on to a team mate. There could be a "goal" at the top of climbs or at sprints and say the first three riders to score goals at these points would gain points in the appropriate competition and possibly a time bonus. Well?

Another excellent suggestion, we could call it "Balls on Bikes." Not to be confused with Dykes on Bykes.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Clearly you do not get it. Everyone should have a chance to win. Every five or six years the Tour de France should be completely flat with not even a cat 3 climb. People already believe that the WC should occasionally be tailor made just for sprinters. They have also done it with the Olympics. Periodically the Tour de France needs to be made suitable for fat tossers who don't like to suffer.

I agree, fat tossers in particular should not be descriminated against, as the American audience must be accomodated in all cases.