• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hernia

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm having surgery for inguinal hernia in January. Like to hear experiences on length of return to the bike. Any feedback on Dr. William Meyers in Philadelphia?

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I had a double inguinal hernia operated on when I was about 13/14yrs. Very painful 48hrs after the surgery, but not too bad after 2wks.
Was told no cricket for 6 wks, but was back playing after 5. Was a bit painful, but after 7-8wks I'd say I was fully recovered. Given that I was a fast bowler, I'd say that would be much more painful than cycling.
I reckon about 3-4wks and you'll be back on the bike, depending on Doctor's orders of course. Good luck!

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
I had a double hernia repair this past summer. (umbilical & inguinal) I rode the local MS-150 6 weeks later.

If your Dr allows, get in the best shape you've ever been in the weeks leading up to the surgery date. I did that and had no troubles heading up some of the longer climbs. The short and steep ones hurt a bit.

My Dr said nothing above 50% effort until 6wks.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Hernia and NJDevil

Thanks NJD. I'm guessing your a Joisey guy. Me too. Who was your doc and what hospital? Open or laperscopic?

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I am having an umbilical hernia repaired tomorrow morning, so i'll let you know how it goes! like anything else it is entirely dependant to the individual.

i first had the same repair done almost 20 years ago, and at the age of 17 and in tremendous shape i was out of action for only 3 weeks before being given the green light to start training again at full intensity.

at 37 years of age and in good, but not great physical condition (though with a very strong core) i suspect it will be more like 6-8 weeks, especially given the fact that I am having mesh installed for the repair which lengthens the recovery time somewhat.

Either way, i'll gladly continue posting regular updates in this thread to let you know how it all progresses, and what my doctor says. he is a cyclist himself who specializes in hernia operations for endurance athletes so he may have some interesting insights into recovery for trained individuals, and specific recommendations for cyclists.

I would consider it a success if i can at least get back on the trainer and soft pedal in 3-4 weeks. blood flow helps promote healing and such, as does mild muscle firing.

cheers

Michael

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
surgery a success. in and out in 4 hours, 2 small pieces of mesh used to back up 2 seperate holes, local anesthetic only as per my choice and I am very happy with that decision. I was wide awake and chatting with the nurses and the anesthesiologist for the majority of my surgery which made it go by quickly, not to mention the recovery from the anesthetic was lightening fast. post surgery I was out of the hospital in under 1 hour.

understandably a little sore, doc has expressed a preference for no physical exertion other than walking for the first 4 weeks due to the mesh being installed.

will provide more feedback as the days and weeks go by prior to your own surgery!

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
4 days in, general swelling of abdomen has gone down, mostly just localized to the repair area over my belly button.

highly encourage you to drink loads of fluids and light foods (lots of fruits, soups etc) post-surgery. bowel movements need to be swift and easy when you have steri-strips, staples or stitches holding your skin together!

lots of bruising, the only real discomfort (no pain at all) is sitting down and wearing pants that bunch up around the belly.

feeling really good and looking forward to the next couple of weeks to see how it progresses. Dr. had mentioned that at my age he expected the general swelling to last 7-10 days, so am ahead of schedule in that respect.

more updates to follow

TRENDING THREADS