• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hierarchy of races

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
No way. That Mur sprint really is something great. Of course, apart from that. FW isn't that exciting. But the Amstel really sold his (little bit of) soul when they decided to put the finish after the Cauberg. I mean, how stupid is that!!?? :eek:

The finish on the Cauberg gave the Amstel at least a face/identity. Now it's nothing more then an expensive criterium.

Historically FW >>>>>>>> AGR

Since FW got mutilated and degraded to a silly uphill sprint prep race for LBL, it's AGR > FW

But in recent years when AGR has also been become nothing more than an uphill sprint, it's AGR = FW

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Mur de Huy are the best 3-4 minutes of cycling every year. They should give out an extra gold medal for this world championship of uphill sprinting

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Mur de Huy are the best 3-4 minutes of cycling every year. They should give out an extra gold medal for this world championship of uphill sprinting

They should give you an extra gold medal for trolling one of these days, unSeriousSam, you deserve it. :D

Re:

barmaher said:
So I had a bit of time on my hands and decided to do a bit of number crunching.

Based on posts in this thread, the most important race is (drumroll) the World Championship Road Race. Narrowly from Paris Roubaix. Here is the list, where people ranked 1 as most important down to 7 being least important.

WCRR 2.21 average. 16 out of 32 had it most important. 3 out of 32 had it 6th. Nobody had it lowest
Paris Roubaix 2.28 average. 12 out of 32 had it most important. Only 5 out of 32 had it lower than 3rd. One person had it lowest
Flanders 3.25 average. 2 out of 32 had it most important. Most had it 2nd to 4th. One poster had it at the bottom.
Liege 4.19 average. Nobody listed it as most important, but 4 as second most important. One poster had it at the bottom.
ORR 4.22 average. Highest standard deviation here. Two people had it as most important, five as least important. It was ranked all over the place.
MSR 5.47 average. Highest ranking was fourth. But only three ranked it at the bottom.
Lombardia 5.78 average. Highest ranking was third. But 11 of 32 ranked it at the bottom.

Note....when people ranked two races as joint, they both got rankings of 1.5 or 2.5 etc. for the purposes of the averages.

good job :)

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Re:

barmaher said:

Based on posts in this thread, the most important race is (drumroll) the World Championship Road Race. Narrowly from Paris Roubaix. Here is the list, where people ranked 1 as most important down to 7 being least important.

WCRR 2.21 average. 16 out of 32 had it most important. 3 out of 32 had it 6th. Nobody had it lowest
Paris Roubaix 2.28 average. 12 out of 32 had it most important. Only 5 out of 32 had it lower than 3rd. One person had it lowest
Flanders 3.25 average. 2 out of 32 had it most important. Most had it 2nd to 4th. One poster had it at the bottom.
Liege 4.19 average. Nobody listed it as most important, but 4 as second most important. One poster had it at the bottom.
ORR 4.22 average. Highest standard deviation here. Two people had it as most important, five as least important. It was ranked all over the place.
MSR 5.47 average. Highest ranking was fourth. But only three ranked it at the bottom.
Lombardia 5.78 average. Highest ranking was third. But 11 of 32 ranked it at the bottom.

Note....when people ranked two races as joint, they both got rankings of 1.5 or 2.5 etc. for the purposes of the averages.

Nice :)

It's interesting to see everyone's personal preference, but what would be really interesting is to know exactly how the pro riders and teams rank these races. It seems like everyone here ignored the OP and just posted what they personally like the most instead.

Paris Roubaix:
roubaix-sean-kelly-920.jpg

Liège Bastogne Liège:
Hinault%20Liege%201980%20Offside.jpg

Ronde Van Vlaanderen:
TourOfFlandersMomentsCyclingTips-18.jpg

Giro Di Lombardia:
CFenRzAWoAAyPuQ.jpg:large

Milano Sanremo:
Milan-San-Remo-cliffs1.jpg

WCRR:
6f167ee4c93fc32965ca880dcbe7250e.jpg

Olympic Road Race:
4161638-3x2-700x467.jpg

I'll take the first 6.

Re:

barmaher said:

Nice tohave cyclingnews forum average.
Let see what is Bicycle brands' choice. I believe bicycle brand choice is true reflection consumers taste.

Limited edition bike/frame
- TDF yellow
- TDF green
- TDF Pokka
- Olympic RR
- WC RR
- Giro Pink
- Some national champions (To target individual countries)
I had never seem any LBL or limited edition.

Then, look @ some brands website or brand introduction. They are telling you what is best way to present themselve to the world. For example, Look. They have long history and look pedal's riders have won everything basically.
http://www.lookcycle.com/en/int/look-cycle/histoire.html
Look website is telling you that Look rank Tour de France GC, Olympic and world championship higher than any other wins.

In generally, bicycle brands trend to list following victories to the top
TDF, Olympic, WC RR

In last Olympic, Specialized produced Olympic edition for all their riders that joined Olympic.
Then, every brands are counting number of their riders had the pass to Rio. It must be the most important thing to the brand.

So, I would summary bike brands or pro team rank the wins as follows :
1. Olympic RR
2. TDF GC
3. WC RR
4. Giro GC
5. TDF Green
6. Veulta GC
7. TDF Pokka
8. Paris Roubaix
9+Some important WT wins or national titles such as paris nice, LBL etc

Re: Re:

Jan Ullrich is one of a few who won Olympic.
He won also TDF and Vuelta and some WC TT.

http://www.janullrich.de/en/news.php
"His continuous dedication to his passion is not only proven by his many successes all over the world – be it as Tour de France winner in 1997, as gold medallist at the 2000 Olympics, or a as much sought after starter at numerous open races."

Mark Cavendish http://cvndsh.com/profile/ list UCI WC RR is the most important win in his life.

Easy..
TDF / Olympic >>> Vuelta/WC TT
WC >>>>>>>>> Milan – San Remo

TRENDING THREADS