• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hinault's ratings of the faves

May 31, 2010
Visit site
i bought a copy of the official tour programme while i was in france last week.

here is le blaireau's ratings of the contenders.

Out of 40

Larry armstrong 32
basso 30
contador 37
cadel 31
menchov 30
sanchez 28
sastre 29
a schleck 33
vDv 29
wiggo 30

based on climbing, TT, rouleur, tactics and team strength.

the badger is wise

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Thee_chisa said:

Out of 40

Larry armstrong 32
-
contador 37
-
a schleck 33
-

the badger is wise

He picks last years 1,2 and 3 for this year.....

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Thee_chisa said:
sanchez lost a lot of points on tactics and tting

I have to agree with that. The time trial is a power TT. He's excellent when it's a technical one (Galdeano's advising him), but when it's about power, Galdeano's advice can't affect things much

saganftw said:
LLS or samuel sanchez?

Samuel, of course

A

Anonymous

Thee_chisa said:

Out of 40

Larry armstrong 32
basso 30
contador 37
cadel 31
menchov 30
sanchez 28
sastre 29
a schleck 33
vDv 29
wiggo 30

based on climbing, TT, rouleur, tactics and team strength.

the badger is wise

Way to go out on a limb there Badger...:rolleyes:

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
These kinds of rattings are inherently flawed because they take a number of different factors and just add them together. First of all it's not as simple as adding things together as some people might need more support than others (I would say climber need less support than TTlists). Also it treats all factors as equal while in reality some factors such as TTing and Climbing are massively more important than tactics and team strenght. I'm not sure exactly what "rouleur" means in this context so I can't comment on it's significance.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Way to go out on a limb there Badger...:rolleyes:

of course he may have been predicting their natural hemacrit levels...but somehow i dont think so.....maybe how much they need to up their levels:rolleyes:

Cerberus said:
These kinds of rattings are inherently flawed because they take a number of different factors and just add them together. First of all it's not as simple as adding things together as some people might need more support than others (I would say climber need less support than TTlists). Also it treats all factors as equal while in reality some factors such as TTing and Climbing are massively more important than tactics and team strenght. I'm not sure exactly what "rouleur" means in this context so I can't comment on it's significance.

Rouleur generally describes the type of rider who can motor along at a high tempo pace at or on the front of the peloton on flat to rolling terrain for long periods of time, generally associated with the bigger/stronger body type of a stereotypical Classics rider.

Anyway, the Badger needs to put down the crack pipe if he thinks Texas is getting 3rd again.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Rouleur generally describes the type of rider who can motor along at a high tempo pace at or on the front of the peloton on flat to rolling terrain for long periods of time, generally associated with the bigger/stronger body type of a stereotypical Classics rider.

Anyway, the Badger needs to put down the crack pipe if he thinks Texas is getting 3rd again.

Gotta give the guy props for being objective. He is probably the last guy around the podium that wants to see Armstrong on it

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
40? Why 40? All you get is a cluster of guys at 6. The top dog in a category gets 8, next best 7, and the rest get 6... other than those who are exceedingly poor in the category - they get 5.

What was Cuddles mark for team strength?

scribe said:
Gotta give the guy props for being objective. He is probably the last guy around the podium that wants to see Armstrong on it

Just toeing the company line. More will watch if LA races and LA is hyped to have a shot at winning. Same with Wiggo. Increases viewership outside the traditional Euro base.

Why I don't get is why Klodo, will yet again, sacrifice a podium position to tow someone else around France. Same with Bottle. These guys have a few years left and a paycheck is more important than their legacy? But then again, Hinault understands a thing or two about more capable cyclists sacrificing themselves for the greater good.

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Bag_O_Wallet said:
40? Why 40? All you get is a cluster of guys at 6. The top dog in a category gets 8, next best 7, and the rest get 6... other than those who are exceedingly poor in the category - they get 5.

What was Cuddles mark for team strength?

5/10 basically he says the team is ****e

May 31, 2010
Visit site
La Vie Claire said:
Just toeing the company line. More will watch if LA races and LA is hyped to have a shot at winning. Same with Wiggo. Increases viewership outside the traditional Euro base.

Why I don't get is why Klodo, will yet again, sacrifice a podium position to tow someone else around France. Same with Bottle. These guys have a few years left and a paycheck is more important than their legacy? But then again, Hinault understands a thing or two about more capable cyclists sacrificing themselves for the greater good.

kloden is the most juiced rider in the peloton, ever wondered why he rarely or never finished 1st?

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
i think this is really a case of of the clinic becoming a bit of an echo chamber. i'll give anyone 100-to-1 odds he starts.

not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, but he'll start. take it to the bank.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
9000ft said:
Yeah, maybe so but he's probably fairly accurate. The only thing I think is on his scale I would rank Armstrong 28 - 30.

I think he did place Armstrong higher, because otherwise he would have been accused of being not impartial

I myself would have ranked Wiggo a few points lower, probably at 28 and Armstrong just like you say 28-30, I do not see him as being better than Evans and Basso, in theory, this all depends on how they have recovered from the Giro

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
La Vie Claire said:

that's exactly my take. isnt hinault an official with aso drawing some pay ? he hates texas but when and if he has to shake his hand on the podium (god i hope it will never happen) he'll do as the etiquette says. bernie aint stupid.

Interesting rating, because a certain magazine has "the Badger" doing some analysis of each Team's riders & he puts Kloden & levi Leech-hamier above LA, but nevertheless he puts an asterisk on him, since "his last name is Armstrong and anything can come out of him"........
he says AC is just going to win again regardless of the competition..

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
python said:
that's exactly my take. isnt hinault an official with aso drawing some pay ? he hates texas but when and if he has to shake his hand on the podium (god i hope it will never happen) he'll do as the etiquette says. bernie aint stupid.

I think this is the key reason the ranking is out of 40. Tex likely gets lumped in with the big group of 6's on climbing and time trialing - and probably rouleur. And probably gets 7's for tactics and team strength.

If the ranking was out of a total of 100, I think there would be a more for separation, and Tex would likely lose more (comparatively) on climbing and time trialing than he'd gain back with tactics and team strength.

TRENDING THREADS