Hincapie says-I'm not a rat-well actually no comment

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 27, 2010
61
0
0
Alpe d'Huez said:
The one thing that stood out to me was the comment on how investigations into doping are referred to as being "this stuff about dragging the sport down."

It would seem to me that what's dragging the sport down, and has just about crippled it, is doping. Not the investigation into cleaning it up. If we just abandon all investigations, and all reporting of doping, how is that helping?

He says he'll cooperate, but I'm not completely sure what that really means.
Excellent post...right on the nail
 
NashbarShorts said:
Does that mean that you don't feel sorry he never got to wear the yellow jersey?? :p

The really pathetic thing is, look at the comments after the article on the Velonews website. They are all "attaboy, George". Quite a few mention about how Jaw-gey is "all class".

(cue dry-heaving sounds) :eek:
He did wear the yellow jersey in 2006 though.
 
May 25, 2009
332
0
0
Yup! - ps nice work on the lack of bikes due to selling for doping drugs causing steerer tube mishap in PR connection :)

 
Mar 19, 2009
2,811
0
0
Perhaps his bike broke in Roubaix for the same reasons Landis' bike broke at that most inconvenient moment. All spares were sold for dope :)

I used to be GH fan. Since his decline away from Bruyneel, not anymore so. I used to seriously label him to take the TdF overall if he didn't have LA to help. He seemed that close in performance. Something changed, and it's not old age.

I seriously wonder how a rider stays motivated if things change this much, and they know well why that is.
 
The Valley said:
Excellent post...right on the nail
It is an excellent post. Its compounded by the fact that there were voices back in the glory days. But Big George along with the Boss were quick to shoot them down as just envious or just French. In fact I hold George right up there with Lance. He was the guy riding up the front of the peloton day after day, over hills, into the wind riding the entire field off his back wheel. as rider after rider would fall off the back Big George was up the front at 45km ph no hands on the bars adjusting his sunglasses chatting away to his USPS team. Then all that talk of him winning the Tour. That really was the end of cycling as we knew it. Take enough drugs and pay the ransom and anyone can win the Tour.

It appeared he did have a seachange in 2006 after Puerto. But to say things like "no one wants a cleaner sport more than me" is a disgrace. Fine stop taking drugs but don't pass yourself off as a anti-drugs campaigner! Do the lies ever stop?
 
Sep 24, 2009
1,852
0
0
thehog said:
It is an excellent post. Its compounded by the fact that there were voices back in the glory days. But Big George along with the Boss were quick to shoot them down as just envious or just French. In fact I hold George right up there with Lance. He was the guy riding up the front of the peloton day after day, over hills, into the wind riding the entire field off his back wheel. as rider after rider would fall off the back Big George was up the front at 45km ph no hands on the bars adjusting his sunglasses chatting away to his USPS team. Then all that talk of him winning the Tour. That really was the end of cycling as we knew it. Take enough drugs and pay the ransom and anyone can win the Tour.

It appeared he did have a seachange in 2006 after Puerto. But to say things like "no one wants a cleaner sport more than me" is a disgrace. Fine stop taking drugs but don't pass yourself off as a anti-drugs campaigner! Do the lies ever stop?
Leave my Jawgie alone!
 
Jun 13, 2010
263
0
0
Page Mill Masochist said:
Has GH talked to the grand jury yet?
My guess is not yet; and it's likely that he will be one of the last, if not the last before LA to talk with JN. He is, in my opinion, the most important witness and the one with the most "squeaky clean" reputation — except of course to those of use that read/post to The Clinic - to the mainstream (and brain dead) Fanboy/girls.
 
Oct 26, 2009
654
0
0
ChrisE said:
I dunno. I keep looking for the feds to put out a press release to get us all up to speed.
Yes, wouldn't that be nice. Or at least have someone with some good info run off at the mouth to the press. Instead, we are going to have to endure months of nothing more than small rumors.
 
Aug 20, 2010
13
0
0
I don't think doping investigations are bringing down the sport, but given the sport seems to be much cleaner than it used to be nowadays, I think there is a question over the necessity of going back to the early part of the last decade to take down the big guns.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
1
0
Disprin said:
I don't think doping investigations are bringing down the sport, but given the sport seems to be much cleaner than it used to be nowadays, I think there is a question over the necessity of going back to the early part of the last decade to take down the big guns.
The sport aint much cleaner. It is more controlled in relation to the doping with the monitoring of their blood by themselves and their teams, Frei explained how it was done with mircodoping and how he stupidly got caught.
 
Aug 20, 2010
13
0
0
Benotti69 said:
The sport aint much cleaner. It is more controlled in relation to the doping with the monitoring of their blood by themselves and their teams, Frei explained how it was done with mircodoping and how he stupidly got caught.
Well Greg LeMond says the numbers from the 2010 Tour de France are looking clean. This seems to tally with other accounts of the state of the current peloton.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/greg-lemond/data-of-optimism

I don't think trials of former Tdf winners effects this.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY