• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hincapie says-I'm not a rat-well actually no comment

The one thing that stood out to me was the comment on how investigations into doping are referred to as being "this stuff about dragging the sport down."

It would seem to me that what's dragging the sport down, and has just about crippled it, is doping. Not the investigation into cleaning it up. If we just abandon all investigations, and all reporting of doping, how is that helping?

He says he'll cooperate, but I'm not completely sure what that really means.

this is really sad- since GH is wiling to go to the last breath to defend a cause that seems to be lost by every day's development. He's equal to LA in guilt and he knows he's near to loose everything he's built along with his old partner...

PS: the final blow is going to come from Bruyneel, when he gets pointed at by LA & GH.....

whats the problem here. He immediately says "I will cooperate with whatever it’s necessary for me to do". What the vid.

Considering that the last Novitsky investigation handed out the toughest punishments to anyone who leaked details of the investigation vs. the actual dopers themselves, you can pretty much expect that everyone will continue to say "no comment".

Clearly, George doesn't see himself as being part of the problem, but a victim.
He rightly has a bee in his bonnet about other sports not taking the problem seriously, but I reckon rather than see them join cycling in the doping limelight, he'd prefer cycling to join them in anonymity.
Hence, the dragging down comment.

Most reader comments are straight from the apolgist's handbook, too.
One, I note, believes George is joining BMC next year.
Little knowledge, dangerous thing and all that.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
As he said he will cooperate as will everyone else because they will have no choice. He'll probably get handed immunity to force his testimony as will everyone else around Lance.

Alpe d'Huez said:
The one thing that stood out to me was the comment on how investigations into doping are referred to as being "this stuff about dragging the sport down."

It would seem to me that what's dragging the sport down, and has just about crippled it, is doping. Not the investigation into cleaning it up. If we just abandon all investigations, and all reporting of doping, how is that helping?

Ditto!

It's really annoying hearing those riders and insiders complaining about how the media focus on doping is ruining the sport - well, if they had actually cleaned up back in the nineties the media attention might actually have been about how the sport had changed for the better and how other sports could learn from it - ho-hum...

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
JPM London said:
Ditto!

It's really annoying hearing those riders and insiders complaining about how the media focus on doping is ruining the sport - well, if they had actually cleaned up back in the nineties the media attention might actually have been about how the sport had changed for the better and how other sports could learn from it - ho-hum...

I agree 100%. It's quite pathetic actually to hear pros complain about the focus on doping right now. Give me a break, they have had time to clean up their act and still doping appears to be rampant in the sport. Maybe the one's that want a clean sport need to step up to the plate and have a talk with their peers.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
JPM London said:
Ditto!

What a jerk.

Like I said, this stuff about dragging the sport down, I have no patience for it, nor do I want to spend time talking about it.”

The former Gent-Wevelgem and Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne winner did show his frustration at cycling’s place in the limelight for doping offenses, even as the sport has made efforts to rid itself of drugs in the last few years.

“It’s absolutely frustrating to see how other sports just slide by and positive tests don’t mean anything. It’s just a little blurb in the newspaper, where in cycling when something comes out, it’s always huge news,” he said. “I think cycling’s one of the hardest sports in the world and I think that most of the cyclists nowadays are doing what they can to make a good example to be a clean sport.”

“I think people can really use cycling as an example for clean sport,” said Hincapie, who rode for two years with Bob Stapleton’s High Road program, which has positioned itself as a leader in the fight against doping in cycling. “There is nobody in the world right now that wants cycling to be clean more than me. I’m out there everyday putting my heart and soul into it and I know a lot of riders that are doing the same thing.”

What about your ex teammate Creed who didn't have the career he deserved because of *** like you?

I cannot overstate how much of a douchebag this guy is.

If he said "no comment," and left it at that I'd have some respect for him.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
tofino said:
Interview over at Velonews with big George....

One item in the article that was mentioned in passing, but will become a BIG issue next year - Big George joining Joop Zoetemelk in the Record Books.

Of the 10,000+ riders to have ever started a TdF, only ONE has started 16 times. Joop Joop Joop! But Big George may make it TWO.

Moreau almost made it - retiring this year after 15 starts.

Of course, Joop and Christophe were both dopers lol.

Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez

JPM London said:
Ditto!

Double-Ditto. Totally agree. And one thing I DO like about the French is that over the past decade they have been more strict and taken a harder line against doping, from a policing standpoint. Maybe that's part of the reason the French riders have not done so well over that time period, but now are starting to get more results (though it is probably more important to have talent and work ethic).

JPM London said:
Ditto!

buckwheat said:
What a jerk.

Like I said, this stuff about dragging the sport down, I have no patience for it, nor do I want to spend time talking about it.”

The former Gent-Wevelgem and Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne winner did show his frustration at cycling’s place in the limelight for doping offenses, even as the sport has made efforts to rid itself of drugs in the last few years.

“It’s absolutely frustrating to see how other sports just slide by and positive tests don’t mean anything. It’s just a little blurb in the newspaper, where in cycling when something comes out, it’s always huge news,” he said. “I think cycling’s one of the hardest sports in the world and I think that most of the cyclists nowadays are doing what they can to make a good example to be a clean sport.”

“I think people can really use cycling as an example for clean sport,” said Hincapie, who rode for two years with Bob Stapleton’s High Road program, which has positioned itself as a leader in the fight against doping in cycling. “There is nobody in the world right now that wants cycling to be clean more than me. I’m out there everyday putting my heart and soul into it and I know a lot of riders that are doing the same thing.”

What about your ex teammate Creed who didn't have the career he deserved because of *** like you?

If he said "no comment," and left it at that I'd have some respect for him.

While I agree with your point about not being fair to other riders when so many were cheating, I kind of understand GH's "no comment" posture - that being he does not want to say anything now with the "trial" coming up that could be used against him or anyone else, or does not want to be caught in another lie.

But your point about not being fair could be another rabbit trail taken to a whole other level. Recall Pantani's mom saying there's so much Marco wanted to say about cycling but couldn't, but that he felt the need to dope just to remain competitive? (I'm going strictly off memory here). Well, maybe if doping was cleaned up back then maybe Marco's still alive today.

Hincapie doesn't want to revealed as a drug cheat, because the consensus will be that he cheated all the way through.

But his public statements don't mean anything. Any fan of cycling could see what type of rider he REALLY was without dope.

One second, he's taking 27 mph pulls up hors catégorie mountains and winning a mountain stage.

The next year, different team, no blood bags...and how does he ride? Like a stiff.

We can tell the difference, George-we're not stupid.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i think differently from most posters here about gh. i believe george will break down despite the best legal advice he's got.

why ? granted he's got a lot to lose if he admits and thus should...

but, because he's is the only guy out there who can abridge all testimonies about texas between '99 and '05 (i'm talking about tyler, levi, dz..all falling into different periods) im convinced novitzky will concentrate on george big time to have george clearly realize you give us some beef about texas or you go to prisons for perjury.

this is all apart from george not striking me as an intellectual genius, what i mean is: if he's locked up in the gj jury room (w/o his lawyers !) with an aggressive well prepare miller, he will likely fall prey.

just speculating.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
JPM London said:
Ditto!

Everything in here sounds pretty good, except acknowledgement that no one had a clue as to how to stop the doping then...and now.

Mellow Velo said:
Most reader comments are straight from the apolgist's handbook, too.
One, I note, believes George is joining BMC next year.
Little knowledge, dangerous thing and all that.

The readers comments are a crack. The run on the "never tested positive" route. The irony in this logic is that Landis has confessesd that he doped all his life and only tested positive once. So does that mean Landis is lying and only used the one time he was caught? That he only passed all the other drug tests because he wasn't doping?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that nobody has brought up the fact that a witness cannot have a lawyer in the GJ room with him, he can however interrupt his testamony to consult his lawyer outside the room. So if LA gets to that point it may take some time for him to get thru his testamony before a GJ.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
buckwheat said:

Does that mean that you don't feel sorry he never got to wear the yellow jersey?? :p

The really pathetic thing is, look at the comments after the article on the Velonews website. They are all "attaboy, George". Quite a few mention about how Jaw-gey is "all class".

(cue dry-heaving sounds) :eek:

I'd actually be totally fine with Jaw-gee saying "no comment" regarding the investigation. But he had to go a step further and state that media coverage of the doping problem is "tearing down the sport." This shows that George is part of the problem, because we all know that doping is the problem that makes the sport borderline unwatchable for many because they don't believe they can trust the results of the races. And those of us who aren't idiots (George obviously not included in that group) understand that ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away, it simply makes it worse. Therefore, George also needs to go away in order to contribute to resolving the doping problem.

Time to re-brand George's clothing "Omerta-wear"?

NashbarShorts said:
Does that mean that you don't feel sorry he never got to wear the yellow jersey??

That would be wrong anyway, because he did wear Yellow, briefly, after picking up some bonus seconds on intermediate sprints a few years back.

I only sort of feel bad for his Roubaix luck, particularly the handlebars that broke from too many re-mountings of dubious torque following air travel. Shoulda had a new bike. Oh, wait...

-dB

May 26, 2010
Visit site
dbrower said:
That would be wrong anyway, because he did wear Yellow, briefly, after picking up some bonus seconds on intermediate sprints a few years back.

I only sort of feel bad for his Roubaix luck, particularly the handlebars that broke from too many re-mountings of dubious torque following air travel. Shoulda had a new bike. Oh, wait...

-dB

:D very good. Bravo:) ah well PEDs cost you know.....

TRENDING THREADS