• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

His Holiness

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
I was just checking LA's Twitter feed to see if there's any comment on the latest Astana affair. Nothing there yet, surprise surprise.

Anyway, I noticed a tweet about an 'art' project that Lance is involved in called The Illumination Project. LA is in the same company as the Dalai Lama! WTF..

Is Lance the Dalai Pharma?

(Rupert Murdoch's part of project which isn't quite so incongruous a match.)

A

Anonymous

A larger wave of media spin and revisionist history is on the way

He and Bruyneel are definitely trying to bring the "Truth", or a fresh version of it, for the end of the year. An "exclusive" interview with Armstrong will appear Wednesday and Thursday in both the Telegraaf and Het Nieuwsblad. Here are links to excerpts, but we will apparently learn that Lance had nothing to do with creating tension at Astana, and that things Contador has been saying in Spain don't jibe with The Truth disciples are meant to believe.

http://sportitalia.com/shownews.aspx?id=9472

http://www.sportweek.nl/wielrennen/123320/Armstrong_Loopbaan_Contador_is_amper_begonnen

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/article/detail.aspx?articleid=DMF29122009_023

http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/wielersport/5672952/__Exclusief_Lance_Armstrong__.html?p=10,1

Armstrong feels it's wrong that Contador is treated like a King in Spain while he's at the start of his career. Lance obviously doesn't think much of someone who's "only" won the Tour twice (the Giro and Vuelta apparently don't count on his score card). Lance won his first Tour at around the age of 27 years and 10 months. Contador has won a Giro, a Vuelta, TWO Toours, and has time to race another Tour and possibly Vuelta before he reaches that ripe old age. Maybe Lance should save his advice for someone who hasn't won a grand Tour.

His and Bruyneel's obsession with Contador cracks me up. I used to blog about Lance, and read everything for months. The guy flew to the Tour of California in a private plane, and posted a pic of Richard, his personal soigneur, holding his bike so it wouldn't get damaged. He had Liz Kreutz, his personal photographer, on a moto during races, in case Graham Watson, who took photos for Astana and others, didn't focus on him enough.

Lance has the book tour, Planet Armstrong, etc., but he and Bruyneel feel the need to keep Contador from getting a big head. What's the danger? He might lose his focus and races? Start dating actresses and singers?

Armstrong had a famous bonk during one of his Tour wins. When Contador had one during Paris-Nice, at a much younger age, Armstrong had the audacity to tell the world Contador still has a lot to learn.

The second prong of the media attack had Bruyneel answering questions offered by very polite readers of ElMundo. I submitted a question about the conflict of interest of a guy personally recruiting riders to Radio Shack at the time he's getting paid (more or less) to manage Astana (into the ground), but that didn't make the cut.

The first answer he did give was that he had no idea why Contador thinks he bought his own Time Trial wheels, as all members of the team, especially the leaders (not sure how the especially fits in) had the same materials. When I order things, I have a credit card charge, an e-mail confirmation, maybe a packing slip and tracking confirmation with proof of delivery. It seems to me that instead of us fighting about who is lying, it could actually be settled with facts and evidence. I really love the idea. Contador comes up with the paperwork, verified by the seller, and either Bruyneel is a liar or has no clue what's happening on his own squad during the Tour de France.

http://www.elmundo.es/encuentros/invitados/2009/12/3976/

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for posting that.

I read some lance quotes on telegraaf, and I'm shocked.

'alberto needs to look in the mirror'
'Marca is licking contador's ***'
'i'm always loyal to everyone'

ow and why is LA always talking about contador in the third person? if you know what i mean.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
DavidVilla7 said:
Thanks for posting that.

I read some lance quotes on telegraaf, and I'm shocked.

'alberto needs to look in the mirror'
'Marca is licking contador's ***'
'i'm always loyal to everyone'

ow and why is LA always talking about contador in the third person? if you know what i mean.

If old Tex spoke in that manner about an aussie, said aussie would make sure he never rode a bike again. What a complete douchebag. At least Bruyneel kept it civil, despite his bit about the Astana transfusion stuff (part and parcel that bit). Just as I expected, LA gets in early and has a personal dig and then uses his trailer trash education to take a swipe at a select media conglomerate. Yes Lance, you were telling the truth and no bias was there! This will be great come July. Lance really will be eating and wallowing in his own bile and venom.

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
If old Tex spoke in that manner about an aussie, said aussie would make sure he never rode a bike again. What a complete douchebag. At least Bruyneel kept it civil, despite his bit about the Astana transfusion stuff (part and parcel that bit). Just as I expected, LA gets in early and has a personal dig and then uses his trailer trash education to take a swipe at a select media conglomerate. Yes Lance, you were telling the truth and no bias was there! This will be great come July. Lance really will be eating and wallowing in his own bile and venom.

can't wait!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Sad and pathetic really, the puerile ramblings of a very bad loser. Still, nice to see just how far under Armstrong's skin Contador has managed to get - think the latest psyops has very badly misfired against Boss Hog

All this has to be giving Contador a boost. If Lance were feeling really confident, he wouldn't be yapping like this. He'd be doing exactly what Contador is doing: staying out of the fray and focusing on his training.

Contador is laughing at Armstrong right now, just like he did on Verbier. Not only did Contador crush him physically, he's breaking Armstrong mentally as well. It's quite impressive to watch.

May 10, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
All this has to be giving Contador a boost. If Lance were feeling really confident, he wouldn't be yapping like this. He'd be doing exactly what Contador is doing: staying out of the fray and focusing on his training.

Contador is laughing at Armstrong right now, just like he did on Verbier. Not only did Contador crush him physically, he's breaking Armstrong mentally as well. It's quite impressive to watch.

Thing is Armstrong should never came back to the sport. History tell us that few athletes had emotional intelligence to quit their career on top of their game and never came back with a lame excuse. It is sad to see a man who can not accept the natural course of things and accept his own limitation. Sorry for my poor english.

badboygolf16v said:
I was just checking LA's Twitter feed to see if there's any comment on the latest Astana affair. Nothing there yet, surprise surprise.

Anyway, I noticed a tweet about an 'art' project that Lance is involved in called The Illumination Project. LA is in the same company as the Dalai Lama! WTF..

Is Lance the Dalai Pharma?

I think he mispelled it. It's actually the The Illuminati Project. McQuaid is the head. Bruyneel, George Bush, and Tom Cruise are members. The project has a secret alliance with the Stonecutters.

Galic Ho said:
If old Tex spoke in that manner about an aussie, said aussie would make sure he never rode a bike again.

Let's hope that he accidently steps on Evans' dog.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Smera1 said:
Thing is Armstrong should never came back to the sport. History tell us that few athletes had emotional intelligence to quit their career on top of their game and never came back with a lame excuse. It is sad to see a man who can not accept the natural course of things and accept his own limitation. Sorry for my poor english.

Armstrong took third place after a two year lay off! I could understand your comment if he had not performed...but he did.

May 10, 2009
Visit site
mcahill844 said:
Armstrong took third place after a two year lay off! I could understand your comment if he had not performed...but he did.

Yes, he performed. But a third place somehow tainted a record of seven consecutive wins, even if they were achieved with PEDs, don't you think so ?

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
With blood manipulation on a neutered course my granny could have ridden.

1. If you can make some unproven accusation about blood doping I'll go you one better...Didn't you see the tiny gasoline engine on Contador's bike?

2. If the course was so neutered I guess all these pros riders must really be terrible.

3. Then your granny better get her behind on that bike. She can make you and all your kin millionaires!

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Smera1 said:
Yes, he performed. But a third place somehow tainted a record of seven consecutive wins, even if they were achieved with PEDs, don't you think so ?

You could look at it that way. Or you could look at it as someone who was more into the sport than the need to win. The third place could actually undercut alot of the negative comments about Armstrong.

Actually I have alot more problems with Armstrong in relation to how he treats women. Even before his tour wins he left the woman that saw him through cancer and didn't even devote a page to it in his book.

Cycling may be the only thing to which he is true.

May 10, 2009
Visit site
mcahill844 said:
You could look at it that way. Or you could look at it as someone who was more into the sport than the need to win. The third place could actually undercut alot of the negative comments about Armstrong.

Actually I have alot more problems with Armstrong in relation to how he treats women. Even before his tour wins he left the woman that saw him through cancer and didn't even devote a page to it in his book.

Cycling may be the only thing to which he is true.

Sorry but I don't think his third place overcut critcism by the fans who follows the sport. Actually, it showed how Armstrong couldn't handle the pressure of defeat, by the way he referred to the media during and at the end of the tour.

A truly champion is not only measured by the achivements he makes during his career, but also how he behaves in society as an individual. And in this sense, I agee with you regarding his behavior with his women, as well as several other stances when he showed who he really is.

Smera1 said:

Perhaps he believes he is not subject to "the natural course of things" and is immune, for any variety of reasons, to aging. In short, perhaps he believes the rules do not apply to him.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
If old Tex spoke in that manner about an aussie, said aussie would make sure he never rode a bike again. What a complete douchebag.

If that is a quality of Aussie's, good for them. That's the way I grew up in suburban NY. You disrespect someone at your own peril. I'm really surprised no one has kicked LA's a$$ yet.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
shawnrohrbach said:
Perhaps he believes he is not subject to "the natural course of things" and is immune, for any variety of reasons, to aging. In short, perhaps he believes the rules do not apply to him.

+1. It's clear that LA & Co. are just that. A separate business enterprise that has a perceived asset to protect. Staying in the limelight whether by legitimate activity or orchestrated melodramas makes them more dough. Dough from Trek, Oakley, Giro, vitamins, foundations, clothing, etc. None of it really needs to be real, unfortunately; until the Tour starts. 2010 should be the final "cycling" chapter. I don't know of many American riders that would talk about teammates like this and not get a general beech slap from the peloton.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
+1. It's clear that LA & Co. are just that. A separate business enterprise that has a perceived asset to protect. Staying in the limelight whether by legitimate activity or orchestrated melodramas makes them more dough. Dough from Trek, Oakley, Giro, vitamins, foundations, clothing, etc. None of it really needs to be real, unfortunately; until the Tour starts. 2010 should be the final "cycling" chapter. I don't know of many American riders that would talk about teammates like this and not get a general beech slap from the peloton.

You bring up a good point. Staying in the limelight makes Lance look more relevant than he actually is within the sport. It gives this false impression that the Tour rivalry is between Lance and Alberto, when it's really about Alberto and Andy Schleck battling for supremacy. Meanwhile, in reality, LA should be lumped in with a large group of others who are a step below. LA wouldn't get nearly as much press if the speculation is limited to how things will sort out between Lance, Sastre, F.Schleck, Gesink, Vande Velde, Cadel, Wiggins, Menchov, etc for the spots from 3rd on down.

An added bonus to the LA/AC "rivalry" is it makes fans clamor to see Retirement Shack at the Tour so they can see one side trounce the other. That makes it much harder for ASO to disinvite Ret.Shack to the Tour due to the current investigation by the OCALESP.

Lance really needs to forget about cycling and go be a pro wrestler.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
You bring up a good point. Staying in the limelight makes Lance look more relevant than he actually is within the sport. It gives this false impression that the Tour rivalry is between Lance and Alberto, when it's really about Alberto and Andy Schleck battling for supremacy. Meanwhile, in reality, LA should be lumped in with a large group of others who are a step below. LA wouldn't get nearly as much press if the speculation is limited to how things will sort out between Lance, Sastre, F.Schleck, Gesink, Vande Velde, Cadel, Wiggins, Menchov, etc for the spots from 3rd on down.

An added bonus to the LA/AC "rivalry" is it makes fans clamor to see Retirement Shack at the Tour so they can see one side trounce the other. That makes it much harder for ASO to disinvite Ret.Shack to the Tour due to the current investigation by the OCALESP.

Lance really needs to forget about cycling and go be a pro wrestler.

How did you know about the eventual marketing plan? That's supposed to be two years away...TEXAS CAGE CYCLING. Combatants start by twittering until their thumbs get sore.

TRENDING THREADS