• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hockey

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Wow. Kings might just be for real this year, they've owned Phoenix so far. Was expecting a bit more fight from the Devils, hopefully they'll rebound tonight.

In other news, looks as though Semin's days as a Cap are over.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=396041

I think with a guy like that you've got to just let him play his game and not try to force him into something he's not, which is what the Caps - especially under Hunter - were trying to do, ie make him play more defensively minded. He's a goal scorer, that's all he is and can do, but a damn good one when he's allowed to play that role. Be interesting to see where he ends up, though a lot of rumors have Detroit at the top of the list.

Tortorella is trying to settle a score with Bettman.
His post-game press conferences are a passive aggressive response to being fined for speaking his mind and getting fined by the league.
He will get away with it as long as the team wins. The vultures will be out when the Rangers miss the playoffs.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Almost forgot, but this thread isn't limited to NHL, is it??? ;);)

545rit4564565.jpg

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
it were funny listening to the guys on the radio give radulov and the other fellow such a hard time but a couple of weeks later defend getzlaf for doing pretty much the same thing in the world championship :S poor old russian get a bit of abuse here I think..

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
palmerq said:
it were funny listening to the guys on the radio give radulov and the other fellow such a hard time but a couple of weeks later defend getzlaf for doing pretty much the same thing in the world championship :S poor old russian get a bit of abuse here I think..

Give them such hard time for what???

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Fetisoff said:
Almost forgot, but this thread isn't limited to NHL, is it??? ;);)

545rit4564565.jpg
Yep, congrats to the Russians. And when Semin is motivated and allowed to play his game, he's one of the best in the world. The Caps imo made a big mistake in trying to reign in Ovechkin and Semin - they were drafted for their scoring ability, don't try and turn them into Selke players.

And Semin on the wing with Datsyuk at center...wow. Wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Semin signs with Detroit as soon as free agency kicks in.

And when did Norway turn into a mini-powerhouse? They almost matched Sweden, the Czechs, and Russia, and absolutely steamrolled Germany.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
VeloCity said:
Yep, congrats to the Russians. And when Semin is motivated and allowed to play his game, he's one of the best in the world. The Caps imo made a big mistake in trying to reign in Ovechkin and Semin - they were drafted for their scoring ability, don't try and turn them into Selke players.

And Semin on the wing with Datsyuk at center...wow. Wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Semin signs with Detroit as soon as free agency kicks in.

And when did Norway turn into a mini-powerhouse? They almost matched Sweden, the Czechs, and Russia, and absolutely steamrolled Germany.

I'd rather see Datsyuk go to Washington :D What a team that would be. Semin's (and when I say Semin this basically means Semin and Ovechkin from here on) biggest problem on defense seems to be stupid giveaways at the wrong time, so by forcing them to play more defensive style, if anything he will be making more mistakes, because he's forced to play out of his element. Bilyaletdinov understands that, so he put them on a line with a center who's naturally gifted in a defensive aspect of the game, so all three can basically play their game. Hopefully Washington coaches will get it too.

Anyway, Evgeny Kuznetsov should be joining the team for next season, as when drafted he asked for two more years in the K, before moving to NHL, which have now passed. With him on the squad, I'm hoping Washington will go back to more run-and-gun offense, which if nothing else, is at least exciting to watch.

As for Norway, this might have been a total shock for some people, but for those who follow European hockey leagues, this was not such a shock, Norway has slowly been building up quite a nice team there. Thorensen has been an absolute monster in the KHL the last 3 years, Skroder is a former Swedish league scoring champ. Their goaltending is rather solid, with Haugen a sure started in the KHL next year.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
devils are in the final now, I approve I think kovalchuk is coming up for the top scorer in the playoffs although he has had a lot more games to get this.. I hope the devils win but la do seem very hard to beat

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
give it up for the KINGS! took it to NJ for the first game, Devils responded, and LA put it away in overtime. Stanley Cup at it finest.
Kings up 1-0 with game 2 also in NJ
Go LA, beat New Jersey!

11107008-large.jpg

0081c9f4441e97ff8800a16abf06.jpg

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Can't remember a team looking as dominant as the Kings have - 15-2 record up til now, with a very good shot at going 16-2 for the playoffs, and with (so far) a total of 22 GA in 17 games. Not bad for an 8th-ranked team :)

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
LAK's play well the whole play-off season, and despite it's the last team I'd be rooting for, they truly deserve the cup. Their coach must be a real genius.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Go Flyers!! But not this year.... :mad:

Looking forward to:
Fleury's playoff melt-down,
the capitals failing to succeed,
San Jose rocking the regular season only to lose early in the playoffs again,
toronto being terrible,
montreal being better than toronto,
boston regressing,
islanders taking a step up,
rangers not making the SCF again,
detroit continuing the playoff streak to year #24 (I think),

flyer's hopefully getting rid of as many bad players(contracts) as possible

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Sciocco said:
Go Flyers!! But not this year.... :mad:

Looking forward to:
Fleury's playoff melt-down,
the capitals failing to succeed,
San Jose rocking the regular season only to lose early in the playoffs again,
toronto being terrible,
montreal being better than toronto,
boston regressing,
islanders taking a step up,
rangers not making the SCF again,
detroit continuing the playoff streak to year #24 (I think),

flyer's hopefully getting rid of as many bad players(contracts) as possible

Agree all but one: Don't expect an Isles' improvement.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
sweden just beat russia in the Karjala Cup :)

i started watching when the score was 3:3 in the 3d period. the game looked even but the swedes seemed more agressive.

...then it was 4:4..after a 5 min overtime still 4:4. then the decisive 5/5 penalties...

the swedish goalie was superb, deflecting the very first 2 attempts.

a somewhat surprising result given their overall score

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
python said:
sweden just beat russia in the Karjala Cup :)

i started watching when the score was 3:3 in the 3d period. the game looked even but the swedes seemed more agressive.

...then it was 4:4..after a 5 min overtime still 4:4. then the decisive 5/5 penalties...

the swedish goalie was superb, deflecting the very first 2 attempts.

a somewhat surprising result given their overall score

sweden youngsters are amazing,such a force :eek:

Even though I lost interest in hockey when Gretzky left Edmonton, it is nice to see one of the original 6 win the Stanley cup (of course when the Oilers win that is OK too). No disrespect to Tampa Bay, but hockey just isn't a southern sport.