Hockey

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
4,991
0
0
I stayed up for this. I'm not a hockey fan, but I'm a Hawks fan! First time they won the cup on home ice since the 1930's.
 
Have to agree. As much as I get tired of teams dominating, the Black Hawks really do look like a dynasty now and were the better team. A lot of people in the northeast wonder what if, they had played the Rangers instead. But I still think they would have won. Really a stellar franchise.

Hockey doesn't seem like a southern sport at all to me either. It seems like St. Louis Blues is about as south as it should get. Though I have to admit I like the Sharks, what a great name (can they move to Seattle or Portland?!). And the Coyotes logo is awesome (can we move them to Montana?!).

The NHL still has a lot of problems to deal with, but it seems like they are at least standing on their own two feet (skates) unlike a few years ago.
 
Sep 10, 2009
5,663
0
0
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Have to agree. As much as I get tired of teams dominating, the Black Hawks really do look like a dynasty now and were the better team. A lot of people in the northeast wonder what if, they had played the Rangers instead. But I still think they would have won. Really a stellar franchise.

Hockey doesn't seem like a southern sport at all to me either. It seems like St. Louis Blues is about as south as it should get. Though I have to admit I like the Sharks, what a great name (can they move to Seattle or Portland?!). And the Coyotes logo is awesome (can we move them to Montana?!).

The NHL still has a lot of problems to deal with, but it seems like they are at least standing on their own two feet (skates) unlike a few years ago.
Well as it happens there's talk of expansion to Seattle (and Vegas, which is just...no, but also possibly Portland and Quebec City) and there's a very good chance Arizona will be relocated in the near future.

Blackhawks...gotta give credit where credit is due and it's better than a team called the Lightning winning but really all of this is just time-killing until the Leafs win the Cup again.
 
Jun 15, 2009
8,530
0
0
GAA fourth lowest since the NLL was a 6-team league (in the 50s). Highest Save-Pct ever (.915 league wide*)... IOW: The luck factor still increases. Ok, this year not the 8th seed won, but still not the best team (the finals were between 3rd and 2nd seeds in the division :eek: )...
How one can talk about "dynasty" is beyond me. It´s all about luck. They could also roll a dice pre playoffs, saving many players bodies and health.

* In a few years it will be 1.000... when the first clever coach signs the first Sumo ringer, and puts him between the posts. 82 shutouts per team, per season by 2022.
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
0
0
...i am quite surprised, given the number of the forum posters from canada, how this thread was allowed to sink, moreover, a total indifference during the winter season :rolleyes:

anyways, i have just watched swedish youngsters teaching the game's birthplace youth a lesson in hockey playing :p

the swedes had out shot the canadians by 12 to 5 even in the 3d period when the canadians being behind were supposed to play better.

really, the swedish boys show the game quality i cant see countered..we'll see in few days.
 
Jan 24, 2012
1,169
0
0
Re:

python said:
...i am quite surprised, given the number of the forum posters from canada, how this thread was allowed to sink, moreover, a total indifference during the winter season :rolleyes:

anyways, i have just watched swedish youngsters teaching the game's birthplace youth a lesson in hockey playing :p

the swedes had out shot the canadians by 12 to 5 even in the 3d period when the canadians being behind were supposed to play better.

really, the swedish boys show the game quality i cant see countered..we'll see in few days.
Yea, doesn't seem like there is all that much interest in Hockey around here.

So much to talk about NHL wise this season too:
-Dallas and Washington's great starts
-Anaheim???
-The pacific division outside of LAK
-No more full on tank teams
-Tampa worse than expected
-Boston better than expected
-Columbus and Tortorella
-Kane rebounding from sketchy off-season to a great start to the year
-Chicago replacing core cup players and still playing well

As for the WJC, it's hard not to see Sweden in the final at a minimum. Maybe an upset by Finland in the semis, need some home ice advantage! Russia looks good too.
 
Re:

python said:
...i am quite surprised, given the number of the forum posters from canada, how this thread was allowed to sink, moreover, a total indifference during the winter season :rolleyes:

anyways, i have just watched swedish youngsters teaching the game's birthplace youth a lesson in hockey playing :p

the swedes had out shot the canadians by 12 to 5 even in the 3d period when the canadians being behind were supposed to play better.

really, the swedish boys show the game quality i cant see countered..we'll see in few days.

Hockey in Canada has changed drastically over the years. What was once a sport that was accessible by most everyone has now become a rich person's pursuit. Forget about rising through the ranks if your parents aren't making $200,000 plus per year to pay for the costs. A hockey stick alone for a 10-year-old kid now goes for 150 bux. That's crazy.
Combine that with the fact that we have a low population density (35 mil?) and it becomes easy to understand why Canada doesn't win the WJC every year.
Also, keep in mind that the players aren't the only one's who try to use the WJC as a springboard to the NHL. Coaches do it too, which often creates disastrous results. This year's coach thought he was smarter than everyone else in the building and started screwing up with line combinations. He made a big mistake by doing so.
Oh yeah, the goalies sucked, too.
 
Jan 24, 2012
1,169
0
0
Re: Re:

the delgados said:
python said:
...i am quite surprised, given the number of the forum posters from canada, how this thread was allowed to sink, moreover, a total indifference during the winter season :rolleyes:

anyways, i have just watched swedish youngsters teaching the game's birthplace youth a lesson in hockey playing :p

the swedes had out shot the canadians by 12 to 5 even in the 3d period when the canadians being behind were supposed to play better.

really, the swedish boys show the game quality i cant see countered..we'll see in few days.

Hockey in Canada has changed drastically over the years. What was once a sport that was accessible by most everyone has now become a rich person's pursuit. Forget about rising through the ranks if your parents aren't making $200,000 plus per year to pay for the costs. A hockey stick alone for a 10-year-old kid now goes for 150 bux. That's crazy.
Combine that with the fact that we have a low population density (35 mil?) and it becomes easy to understand why Canada doesn't win the WJC every year.
Also, keep in mind that the players aren't the only one's who try to use the WJC as a springboard to the NHL. Coaches do it too, which often creates disastrous results. This year's coach thought he was smarter than everyone else in the building and started screwing up with line combinations. He made a big mistake by doing so.
Oh yeah, the goalies sucked, too.
Canada didn't use Konecny enough! (Flyers fan)

It really is expensive to get a kid into hockey, compared to many other sports at least.
 
Sep 10, 2009
5,663
0
0
Re: Re:

the delgados said:
python said:
...i am quite surprised, given the number of the forum posters from canada, how this thread was allowed to sink, moreover, a total indifference during the winter season :rolleyes:

anyways, i have just watched swedish youngsters teaching the game's birthplace youth a lesson in hockey playing :p

the swedes had out shot the canadians by 12 to 5 even in the 3d period when the canadians being behind were supposed to play better.

really, the swedish boys show the game quality i cant see countered..we'll see in few days.

Hockey in Canada has changed drastically over the years. What was once a sport that was accessible by most everyone has now become a rich person's pursuit. Forget about rising through the ranks if your parents aren't making $200,000 plus per year to pay for the costs. A hockey stick alone for a 10-year-old kid now goes for 150 bux. That's crazy.
Combine that with the fact that we have a low population density (35 mil?) and it becomes easy to understand why Canada doesn't win the WJC every year.
Also, keep in mind that the players aren't the only one's who try to use the WJC as a springboard to the NHL. Coaches do it too, which often creates disastrous results. This year's coach thought he was smarter than everyone else in the building and started screwing up with line combinations. He made a big mistake by doing so.
Oh yeah, the goalies sucked, too.
Unfair to pile on an 18-year-old kid, but...Blackwood was just horrible in the game against Finland today. All due respect to the Finns, who never quit, but Canada really should've won that game fairly steadily, but between the stupid, stupid, stupid penalties and at least 2-3 really soft goals, they played themselves right out of the tournament.
 
Re: Re:

VeloCity said:
the delgados said:
python said:
...i am quite surprised, given the number of the forum posters from canada, how this thread was allowed to sink, moreover, a total indifference during the winter season :rolleyes:

anyways, i have just watched swedish youngsters teaching the game's birthplace youth a lesson in hockey playing :p

the swedes had out shot the canadians by 12 to 5 even in the 3d period when the canadians being behind were supposed to play better.

really, the swedish boys show the game quality i cant see countered..we'll see in few days.

Hockey in Canada has changed drastically over the years. What was once a sport that was accessible by most everyone has now become a rich person's pursuit. Forget about rising through the ranks if your parents aren't making $200,000 plus per year to pay for the costs. A hockey stick alone for a 10-year-old kid now goes for 150 bux. That's crazy.
Combine that with the fact that we have a low population density (35 mil?) and it becomes easy to understand why Canada doesn't win the WJC every year.
Also, keep in mind that the players aren't the only one's who try to use the WJC as a springboard to the NHL. Coaches do it too, which often creates disastrous results. This year's coach thought he was smarter than everyone else in the building and started screwing up with line combinations. He made a big mistake by doing so.
Oh yeah, the goalies sucked, too.
Unfair to pile on an 18-year-old kid, but...Blackwood was just horrible in the game against Finland today. All due respect to the Finns, who never quit, but Canada really should've won that game fairly steadily, but between the stupid, stupid, stupid penalties and at least 2-3 really soft goals, they played themselves right out of the tournament.
Finland have a very skilled team, so I'm not sure I agree that Canada should have won handily. The Finns are su
per speedy and move the puck around like magicians. They often made it seem like they had a man advantage in the offensive zone.
The stupid penalties are are reflection of bad coaching, imo. No way should Marner punch a guy in the face with less than five minutes to go in the game. That was ridiculous and probably cost them the game.
 
p.s. to Sciocco:
Agreed. Konecy is a great player who was underutilized throughout the game. You could see the wtf look on some players faces when they were told to sit out their next shift. Gauthier just had a blank "why am I here" stare by the end of the game.
Bad coaching.
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
0
0
Re: Re:

the delgados said:
VeloCity said:
the delgados said:
python said:
...i am quite surprised, given the number of the forum posters from canada, how this thread was allowed to sink, moreover, a total indifference during the winter season :rolleyes:

anyways, i have just watched swedish youngsters teaching the game's birthplace youth a lesson in hockey playing :p

the swedes had out shot the canadians by 12 to 5 even in the 3d period when the canadians being behind were supposed to play better.

really, the swedish boys show the game quality i cant see countered..we'll see in few days.

Hockey in Canada has changed drastically over the years. What was once a sport that was accessible by most everyone has now become a rich person's pursuit. Forget about rising through the ranks if your parents aren't making $200,000 plus per year to pay for the costs. A hockey stick alone for a 10-year-old kid now goes for 150 bux. That's crazy.
Combine that with the fact that we have a low population density (35 mil?) and it becomes easy to understand why Canada doesn't win the WJC every year.
Also, keep in mind that the players aren't the only one's who try to use the WJC as a springboard to the NHL. Coaches do it too, which often creates disastrous results. This year's coach thought he was smarter than everyone else in the building and started screwing up with line combinations. He made a big mistake by doing so.
Oh yeah, the goalies sucked, too.
Unfair to pile on an 18-year-old kid, but...Blackwood was just horrible in the game against Finland today. All due respect to the Finns, who never quit, but Canada really should've won that game fairly steadily, but between the stupid, stupid, stupid penalties and at least 2-3 really soft goals, they played themselves right out of the tournament.
Finland have a very skilled team, so I'm not sure I agree that Canada should have won handily. The Finns are su
per speedy and move the puck around like magicians. They often made it seem like they had a man advantage in the offensive zone.
The stupid penalties are are reflection of bad coaching, imo. No way should Marner punch a guy in the face with less than five minutes to go in the game. That was ridiculous and probably cost them the game.
i agree, the finns played an outstanding game, but looking from a non-biased angle - it was essentially the game of equals. more or less as the score tells us. an open, aggressive and therefore a thoroughly enjoyable game.

not that anyone is surprised, but a formerly noticeable canadian advantage of better skating is no more. the same can be said about a physical, man-o-man side of the game. in fact, both the finns and the canadians imo overdid the fighting and therefore were appropriately punished by multiple power games...as you said, the finns counterattacking was knife sharp and when coupled with their speed it was probably decisive.

i still think that the swedish youngsters are showing the best game. imo better than the russians who despite their individual advantages barely saved the game against the danes. their goalie is probably the only asset that can equal their chances agains the tre kronor should they meet in the final.
 
Jan 24, 2012
1,169
0
0
NHL season started. Toronto's Matthews is looking pretty dam ready for the NHL. And Karlsson getting two points already is no surprise.

Have to wait until late, late Friday night for my Flyers. :cry:

Four... wtf
 
Jan 24, 2012
1,169
0
0
https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/mtl-vs-cbj/2016/11/04/2016020158#game=2016020158,game_state=final
BJs beat Montreal 10-0...

And Montreal left the starting goalie (Montoya) in for the entire game so he ended up with 30 saves on 40 shots on goal. Montreal has been playing so well though that this leaves their record at 9-1-1 even after such a loss. Sadly my team gets to play Montreal now tonight who will be starting the best goalie in the world (Price) instead so I'm expecting a good *** really.
 
May 29, 2014
34
0
0
Re:

Sciocco said:
https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/mtl-vs-cbj/2016/11/04/2016020158#game=2016020158,game_state=final
BJs beat Montreal 10-0...

And Montreal left the starting goalie (Montoya) in for the entire game so he ended up with 30 saves on 40 shots on goal. Montreal has been playing so well though that this leaves their record at 9-1-1 even after such a loss. Sadly my team gets to play Montreal now tonight who will be starting the best goalie in the world (Price) instead so I'm expecting a good **** really.
Hard luck @ Habs, at least it wasn't 0-10 :D

Think you've 5 of next 6 at home, so should get back on track soon
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
0
0
feels strange when this fine thread is allowed to sink so deep...

anyways, the swedes are the new word champions and they against most expectations beat canada in a great game.

i am watching a replay of the 3d period+ the extension with penalties. the canadians looked quicker and more active. held the puck longer and were shooting more and far more dangerously. yet they lost. part due to bad luck, part due to the swedish perseverance and excellent defense. this was probably the strogest team that sweden has ever fielded.
 
I'm not going to add anything here other than to say, Go Nashville!
I'm a Canadian from some backwater town who loves to see places like Nashville embrace their team, hideous colours aside. (Mustard yellow? Seriously?)
Anyway, it would be funny to see P.K. Subban win the cup and take it back to Montreal.
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,773
1
0
Re:

python said:
feels strange when this fine thread is allowed to sink so deep...

anyways, the swedes are the new word champions and they against most expectations beat canada in a great game.

i am watching a replay of the 3d period+ the extension with penalties. the canadians looked quicker and more active. held the puck longer and were shooting more and far more dangerously. yet they lost. part due to bad luck, part due to the swedish perseverance and excellent defense. this was probably the strogest team that sweden has ever fielded.
I wanted to reply back a while ago. My apologies for not doing so.

The Swedes were bad @@@. I like it when someone like Sweden get the wins. That team is always good internationals.

My personal preference is that the Olympics stop the crap with the pro's playing. I like it better when it is amateurs.
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,773
1
0
Re:

the delgados said:
I'm not going to add anything here other than to say, Go Nashville!
I'm a Canadian from some backwater town who loves to see places like Nashville embrace their team, hideous colours aside. (Mustard yellow? Seriously?)
Anyway, it would be funny to see P.K. Subban win the cup and take it back to Montreal.
That town / city loves the Preditors. They have one of the best atmospheres in the city and at the ice.
 
I found it. Looks like this thread is for all hockey, NHL and otherwise.

NHL playoffs. Yes I'm a Penguins fan and my Pens just advanced to the 2nd round! Yeah. 3 peat is still possible. Now to get Malkin healthy for round 2.
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
0
0
;) ;) didn't think the thread will be up and felt after just watching the 3d period of norway-latvia it would be too much work to dig for the thread in order to say ( :p ) i am not all that upset at norway losing. though, to be fair, they played a better game from what i saw....

though denmark is a no biggy in the sport i love the fact they are given the words host honour. tomorrow sweden is palyng the czechs. impossible to predict but the swedish discipline should at least counter the czech agression. on paper it is a parity. and then on the 7th the swedes should take a breather with france as well as on the 9th with austria. btw, the us beating canada in a tight game is my great regret NOT watching :mad:
 
Anyone from Winnipeg here?
If so, let's do a figurative high five.
The Jets have moved on to the conference finals and I'm super stoked.
Anyone familiar with Manitoba knows the winters are bleak and cold. The Jets were our source of warmth, and I would literally cry at nine-years of age when the Jets lost.
I'm a bit older now and won't cry if they lose, but I may do so if they take it all the way to the top.
 
Jan 24, 2012
1,169
0
0
I'm hoping for Winnepeg and Washington to win their series but Washington overall for Ovechkin alone.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY