Hockey

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 28, 2010
2,274
0
0
Alpe d'Huez said:
Great analysis Squares. The rule changes definitely worked for the better, way better.
I think the shootouts after the overtime along with all the rule changes have brought in a lot of new fans.

I do however like the fact that playoff games don't end in a shootout. Having them in the regular season is a good place for them.

As for this years playoffs, if they stay this good, we're in for a great May/June!
 
Okay, after an awesome first round, we're finally down to eight teams. Who does everyone like?

Vancouver (1) vs. Nashville (5)

Detroit (3) vs. San Jose (2)

Washington (1) vs. Tampa Bay (5)

Boston (3) vs. Philadelphia (2)
 
Mar 19, 2009
1,796
0
0
I think vancouver will in in 5 games, I think the win in extra time v chicago will help them a lot although it will have tired them out so they might lose tonight :S.. I guess detroit to win over 7 games although I don't know much about san jose.

I simulated these games on nhl 11 and it s not good for the canucks.... nashville win the series 4-2...... detroit beat san jose 4-1 and nashville beat the red wings 4-3..... in the east tampa bay win 4-2 v washington and boston win 4-1 v phillidelphia. Boston then win the east 4-3. Boston also win the final 4-2. I think I might bet a pound on all this happening, surely I would get good odds.
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
1
0
Oh man, these are hard to call.

Vancouver over Nashville
Better top talent and more depth will overcome Nashville's grit and toughness.

Detroit over San Jose
Both have talent and great systems, I'm picking the team that knows how to win.

Washington over Tampa Bay
I think the Capitals have finally discovered what it takes to win in the post-season. But do they have the goaltending?

Philadelphia over Boston
I've hated both of these teams since I was 7. Boston's special teams are in the toilet and their top line isn't scoring. But Philly also has big ? between the pipes.

And of course I could easily go 0 for 4 here!
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
1
0
jobiwan said:
Nashville's gonna make it a tough one for the Canucks, I hope the Preds win because that's my home team!!!
Well we're underway. I won't say good luck, gotta cheer for the home team, but I do hope we get to enjoy a long series. Wouldn't be at all surprised if we do. Damn that Pekka Rinne is a heck of a goalie.
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,844
1
0
pedaling squares said:
Oh man, these are hard to call.

Vancouver over Nashville
Better top talent and more depth will overcome Nashville's grit and toughness.

Detroit over San Jose
Both have talent and great systems, I'm picking the team that knows how to win.

Washington over Tampa Bay
I think the Capitals have finally discovered what it takes to win in the post-season. But do they have the goaltending?

Philadelphia over Boston
I've hated both of these teams since I was 7. Boston's special teams are in the toilet and their top line isn't scoring. But Philly also has big ? between the pipes.

And of course I could easily go 0 for 4 here!
I gotta agree totally with these pics and reasons! The Philly - Boston series is a tough one for me as well...I hate both teams...but agree, Philly will win...unless their goalie situation goes completely south...lol!

I am rooting for Vancouver for the Stanley Cup though. I am a Canes fan, and since they are out I have thrown my hat in with the Canucs!
 
pedaling squares said:
Oh man, these are hard to call.

Vancouver over Nashville
Better top talent and more depth will overcome Nashville's grit and toughness.

Detroit over San Jose
Both have talent and great systems, I'm picking the team that knows how to win.

Washington over Tampa Bay
I think the Capitals have finally discovered what it takes to win in the post-season. But do they have the goaltending?

Philadelphia over Boston
I've hated both of these teams since I was 7. Boston's special teams are in the toilet and their top line isn't scoring. But Philly also has big ? between the pipes.

And of course I could easily go 0 for 4 here!
I like those picks. Especially the Canucks, who I thought were easily going to down the Blackhawks after they got up 3-0 in that series. But they managed to make it scary and pull out an OT win the finale.
 
Jul 4, 2009
9,666
0
0
on3m@n@rmy said:
I like those picks. Especially the Canucks, who I thought were easily going to down the Blackhawks after they got up 3-0 in that series. But they managed to make it scary and pull out an OT win the finale.
...an amazing series...may by the end of these playoffs be seen as the series that should have been the finale...

Cheers

blutto
 
Great name there, Icebreaker. Must be a true hockey fan.

I don't want Detroit either. But don't know if SJS have enough to upend them.

Meanwhile, the Flyers goal collapsed early, which answers that question. They're going to have to bounce back hard in game 2 or the fat lady may soon sing.
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
1
0
Typical Roberto Luongo... he stopped all the difficult shots but took his eye and mind off the puck for one second. They could/should have gone to Nashville with a 2-0 lead and with 0 goals Nashville would have had some doubts in their minds. Now it's anyone's series. I guess that's better for we fans though. Kesler & Burrows are killing the Predators, if the Sedin line can roll Nashville is in trouble. I know I already said this but, damn that Pekka Rinne is a good 'tender. Huge too, like 6'5" or something.
 
pedaling squares said:
Typical Roberto Luongo... he stopped all the difficult shots but took his eye and mind off the puck for one second. They could/should have gone to Nashville with a 2-0 lead and with 0 goals Nashville would have had some doubts in their minds. Now it's anyone's series. I guess that's better for we fans though. Kesler & Burrows are killing the Predators, if the Sedin line can roll Nashville is in trouble. I know I already said this but, damn that Pekka Rinne is a good 'tender. Huge too, like 6'5" or something.
ya, I didn't watch much of Luong during the season, but he was brilliant in game 3 vs the Blackhawks. Then got almost embarrassed the next 3 games when the Bhawks tied that series.

Anyway, I'm pulling for the Canucks!
 
Terrific, gritty win for SJ over Detroit. Me thinks they needed that 2-0 lead heading back to Detroit, as this series very well could be 2-2 after game 4.

Wow, Washington sure has dug themselves a hole to get out of!
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,844
1
0
Alpe d'Huez said:
Terrific, gritty win for SJ over Detroit. Me thinks they needed that 2-0 lead heading back to Detroit, as this series very well could be 2-2 after game 4.

Wow, Washington sure has dug themselves a hole to get out of!
Yea...but home ice means nothing anymore lol!! I could see them even up the series..but who knows. BTW..how many high sticks does St. Louis have to take..I know he is short but jeez! The refs need to start calling those.

On another note...I think Philly is done! They needed the second game and couldn't close it out. Came out strong...but Boston remained composed and took the OT win.
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,844
1
0
icebreaker said:
The ref'ing in all of the playoff games so far has been a disgrace.
Very true...too many ticky tack calls...then missing the obvious. I've been enjoying the games however.
 
Sep 10, 2009
5,663
0
0
Alpe d'Huez said:
Wow, Washington sure has dug themselves a hole to get out of!
I'm a Caps fan - I live in DC - but I have little faith in them. They just don't seem to be a very "solid" team - they can be absolutely amazing one night and then completely miserable the next.

Boston, they look like they're really coming together at just the right time. Might be their year.

But whatever happens, just please don't let it be a Nashville-Tampa Bay final.
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
1
0
the delgados said:
Alex Chokevechkin big Russian who like to make party.
He no like hockey in May.
Yeah, his style has been far more effective in the regular season than in the big games. BUT I have to say that he was by far the most dangerous and effective player on the ice today. His linemates however.... they could be on a milk carton.
 
After so many close series in the opening round, to see this kind of lopsided wins is surprising. Washington, the 1 seed getting completely whipped by TB. I figured Boston would beat Philly, but sweep? And SJ winning the first three games against Detroit? If there was a series we thought might be an upset, it was Vancouver, but they are up 3-1 on Nashville.

You guys are more expert than me, but I'm thinking a San Jose-Boston final would be most interesting.
 
Jul 7, 2009
583
0
0
Sad to see my Caps get the gate so quickly. Hopefully they will not make drastic changes.
They do play entertaining hockey during the regular season.
I see a Vancouver v Boston final.:eek:
 
pedaling squares said:
Buh-bye Alex Semin if they can find a team stupid enough to pay $6.7 million for a floater who disappears when the regular season ends.
Further illustration of why they need someone who can motivate players once the paycheques stop rolling in.

Did you see the 24/7 series? Boudreau sounded like a half-wit. He's gone.

Plus, they should have picked up Roloson before the Tampas.
 
icebreaker said:
Any luck at all, Vancouver closes out Nashville tonight - dear lord what a boring team to watch play hockey - or whatever they are doing.

SJS closes out DTW.

Vancouver / San Jose will be an interesting series to watch.
re Nashville: Agreed. But I've got such a soft spot for those guys. It's amazing how they've managed to compete on a shoe-string budget with a bunch of no-names.

I also get a huge kick out of listening to folks with a southern drawl talk hockey.
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
1
0
the delgados said:
Did you see the 24/7 series? Boudreau sounded like a half-wit.
Some of it. What I saw was an excellent look at the game. Yes, he came across like a twit. He strikes me as the kind of coach who can motivate a team for the first couple of years but whose schtick wears off thereafter. It sounds like the owner would cut him but the GM is loyal to the guy he selected. Loyalty is admirable, but maybe McPhee needs to look out for his own backside and cut Boudreau loose.

icebreaker said:
Vancouver / San Jose will be an interesting series to watch.
That would make for a great matchup. Of course I thought Boston/Philly would be good too, so my credibility here is shot. Hey, I didn't know that Pronger and Carter were that badly hurt...

icebreaker said:
Only reason I have cheered for Nashville up to now is that I know big bad Weber.
What a great hockey player. I don't mind seeing him in a Predators jersey, but I sure loved seeing him in red and white last February.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY